Notices

So im driving from florida to alaska...

Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #21
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome man! Im putting in for Alaska when I leave Belgium and will be driving from Georgia. I already drove to Montana and that took 36 hours. It looks like an amazing drive. I would take about 2 weeks and really enjoy the scenery.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet! We stole another one! haha I would recommend going through Canada, as others have said it's completely beautiful, stop at Laird on your way up, a natural hot springs. Visit Muncho Lake, and get on the start of highway 1. That's right, highway 1. because it's the only highway in the state lol. I'm jealous. I love driving the alcan. Perhaps you'd be interested in being a parts carrier on your way up......I shall PM you. You'll find shipping to AK very different than shipping anywhere else...haha
Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
Davidson is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Cody
Davidson's Tacoma Gallery
we plan on leaving waay sooner than my rnltd, just so we can stop and see the scenery and, of coarse, incase of an emergency. my plan has changed tho, instead of driving from florida, i'm shipping my truck to california than driving up. i'm originally from there so i'm going to visit some family before i head up.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #24
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I drove up from Santa Barbarbarabarbara a few years back, stuck with the 101 as long as we could to enjoy the coast, it was an amazing drive. Only went inland for national parks. I'd definitely recommend yosemite, even though ti's a bit out of the way, it's closer than you'll be when you get here and you'll wish you could go back after seeing my pictures. Redwoods and sequoia's are beautiful parks too. Take your time, look at the maps, grab a 2013 milepost for the alcan, and you'll have a great time.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I'm jelly that would be an awesome drive. Personally I think its a good choice driving from CA instead of FL. Make sure you do a trip report, I'd love to see pics.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #26
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
subbed. you gonna make a progress thread of your trip?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Sweet! We stole another one! haha I would recommend going through Canada, as others have said it's completely beautiful, stop at Laird on your way up, a natural hot springs. Visit Muncho Lake, and get on the start of highway 1. That's right, highway 1. because it's the only highway in the state lol. I'm jealous. I love driving the alcan. Perhaps you'd be interested in being a parts carrier on your way up......I shall PM you. You'll find shipping to AK very different than shipping anywhere else...haha
yea i can bring some parts up. we still have around 6 months before i go up tho. and I'm probably going to be asking you a lot of ?'s about the area haha. especially about the local trails and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
I'm jelly that would be an awesome drive. Personally I think its a good choice driving from CA instead of FL. Make sure you do a trip report, I'd love to see pics.
i dont have a very nice camera, just a canon sd1400. so its pictures are mediocre at best. but i'm gonna take as many pictures as i can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
subbed. you gonna make a progress thread of your trip?
i didnt really think about it before. but if ppl are interested in seeing the drive and trip, than yea ill update the thread as i go
Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd the Sea-to-Sky HWY along the coast of Canada is beautiful also!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #29
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I drove from CT to alaska when i was 18 it was a pretty cool experience, took 6 days to get there. Then on the way back we took our time, camped out at cool places and checked out yellowstone and places like that. Only bad experience from that trip- my first gen ipod broke and we only had a tape player in the car. Barley and radio stations driving through most of canada so i bought three tapes, ccr black sabbath and skynard and now i hate all those bands haha, i cringe everytime i hear gimme three steps.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #30
Purveyor of Fun

Ask away cody, I don't know how helpful I can be but I've lived up here my whole life, so I know the area pretty well. It'll be cool to see another stormtrooper up here. I'll help where I can for sure!
Old 09-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely make a progress thread on it and post the link in here...most of us enjoy seeing the pictures and stories.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #32
JC47 is on a distinguished road
JC47's Tacoma Gallery
It might be a bit out of your way, but if you can make the drive from Banff to Jasper it will be well worth your time. Beautiful drive through the Rockies.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #33
Purveyor of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxushexx View Post
I drove from California to Maryland last year for a temporary work related move. Took 4 days of solid all day driving (I drove alone). It was exhausting, boring, and the only thing worse was when I had to drive back to California 3 months later. Theres a reason planes exist.
Don't worry, he's just
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #34
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Be sure to ship your guns and check on knife laws in the provinces you'll be passing through.
Handguns are a major, major pain to transport through Canada, and even long guns have restrictions.

Also, if you have any kind of record, it can be a problem.
Boss at my last job had a DUI some 20 years ago. He was going to Canada to host a training class, they wouldn't let him through customs.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
Purveyor of Fun

I can get you the names of some of the local firearms shops up here to ship, if you need to. They do that all the time.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #36
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can get you the names of some of the local firearms shops up here to ship, if you need to. They do that all the time.
Since he's shipping to himself, the shipment doesn't have to go through an FFL. That's only required for a transfer.
I would assume that the DoD has procedures in place for secure receipt of servicemembers' possessions.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #37
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely do it, especially if you get reimbursed for gas. Sounds like an amazing experience!
My family drove from San Diego to Seattle one year to check out colleges for me. It was a fun drive once you get up north, but the CA central valley bit on I-5 or highway 99 is super boring (straight road, nothing but flat farmland for 250 miles boring), so definitely take the coast as long as you have the time for it. Up in northern CA and Oregon it's super beautiful, and the southern oregon coastline is amazing.
A place I've been meaning to hit up because I've heard it's amazing is the Lost Coast in Northern CA. There's a dirt trail (possibly passenger car worthy unless there's mud) that goes from USAL beach near Leggett, CA and goes north towards Garberville and the redwoods. There are 4 or 5 campgrounds in there and the trip's described in the Guide to Northern California Backroads and 4-wheel Drive Trails by Charles Wells. If you want I can take pics of the pages in the book that cover that drive.
I'd definitely follow your progress if you do that.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #38
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
before you leave CA. tell us when/where maybe we can give you a TW send off.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Ask away cody, I don't know how helpful I can be but I've lived up here my whole life, so I know the area pretty well. It'll be cool to see another stormtrooper up here. I'll help where I can for sure!
well i'm hoping theres some good trails up there for the taco. ill be bringing my motorcycle up there too so hopefully some good dirt bike trails also are up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Be sure to ship your guns and check on knife laws in the provinces you'll be passing through.
Handguns are a major, major pain to transport through Canada, and even long guns have restrictions.

Also, if you have any kind of record, it can be a problem.
Boss at my last job had a DUI some 20 years ago. He was going to Canada to host a training class, they wouldn't let him through customs.
we were planning on bringing some guns with us. mostly for protection reasons. i think we narrowed it down to the 20 gauge and a .357. maybe i need to read up more on the canadian laws? bc that would suck to get our guns confiscated. and i don't have a record, criminally. so i should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
before you leave CA. tell us when/where maybe we can give you a TW send off.
well my dad lives in rialto, just between fontana and san b
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #40
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
Don't you even think twice...I've been to the upper northwest territories and it's mind numbing how beautiful it is...The best thing My ex girlfriend ever did for me was dump my ass...I got pissed off, took 6 weeks off from work ( my entire vacation time saved up) and drove across the US...Best trip ever...I've done it once more since....and once i'm done getting my truck all set...i'm going again......