Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

So im driving from florida to alaska...

Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #41
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
Post a blog so we can keep up with where you are...blogspot has a good one...I used it on my forst trip....

in fact... \/ linky..
http://www.lodismission.blogspot.com/
Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #42
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Do it!! I drove from Alberta to Alaska and back in summer of '09. Planning to go again, but this time on a motorcycle.

x2 on Muncho Lake and Liard hot springs.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #43
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
my buddy rode from CA to NJ on his motorcycle when he got out of the Marines a few years back, said it was the best thing he ever did, and dosent regret it one bit. Its a few less miles then your saying, but I think you should do it!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #44
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
1) Stop talking to us..
2) Pack your shit...
3) Start driving...
4) check in periodically and brag how much fun your having and how much it must suck to be the rest of us at that given moment...
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #45
Hawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant futureHawksdenn2 has a brilliant future

Firefighter:
Hawksdenn2's Tacoma Gallery
I was literally just telling my girlfriend that I want to do this. Ive already priced the fuel out and it will be about 1400 in fuel roughly and 3 days driving. I would definetely do it.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #46
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
Yesterday i get home from work (home is tyndall afb, panama city fl) and check my email to find out i got orders to Elmendorf. just outside of Anchorage Alaska. i can fly and the military would ship my vehicle to alaska along with all my belongings. but truthfully, i think i'm going to just man up and drive it. how often do you get the chance to drive across north america and get paid to do it? i wouldn't be doing it alone. my dad would be accompanying me. what do you guys think? am i crazy for wanting to do this drive? or would you do the same? suggestions would be nice!

ps. im looking for a camper shell for sale, i've wanted one for awhile and now i have a reason to get one haha.
Must be a good feeling getting out of Bay/Gulf county. Definetly do it. You'll remember it for the rest of your life.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #47
I am faster than 80% of all snakes.
Ben83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Intelligence Analyst for 10 years and then moved on.
Name: Ben
Ben83's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely do it. That would be an amazing adventure! Not something most folks will ever get the chance to do and especially get paid for it.

I would definitely burn a fair bit of leave doing some sight seeing. That part of Canada is supposed to be stunningly beautiful.

I hope you enjoy Alaska. Some of the peeps I was stationed with had been at Elmendorf for a couple of years and they loved it. Best of luck to you and your Pops on the drive up.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #48
Davidson is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Cody
Davidson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi781 View Post
Don't you even think twice...I've been to the upper northwest territories and it's mind numbing how beautiful it is...The best thing My ex girlfriend ever did for me was dump my ass...I got pissed off, took 6 weeks off from work ( my entire vacation time saved up) and drove across the US...Best trip ever...I've done it once more since....and once i'm done getting my truck all set...i'm going again......
haha thats a pretty sweet way to clear your mind. I'm just glad i'm going to be getting paid to do it. i still have a lot of things i want to do to my truck to prepare it for the drive. like get a camper shell and fix my off road lights. im not very good at wiring and managed to short both of them out
Old 09-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi781 View Post
1) Stop talking to us..
2) Pack your shit...
3) Start driving...
4) check in periodically and brag how much fun your having and how much it must suck to be the rest of us at that given moment...
haha i wish it was that easy! but unfortunately i HAVE to wait till march. otherwise i'd kinda be awol. supposively a big deal haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
Must be a good feeling getting out of Bay/Gulf county. Definetly do it. You'll remember it for the rest of your life.
oh words cant even describe haha i hate it here. so trashy and run down. but goodluck to you, maybe you'll catch a break like i did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben83 View Post
Definitely do it. That would be an amazing adventure! Not something most folks will ever get the chance to do and especially get paid for it.

I would definitely burn a fair bit of leave doing some sight seeing. That part of Canada is supposed to be stunningly beautiful.

I hope you enjoy Alaska. Some of the peeps I was stationed with had been at Elmendorf for a couple of years and they loved it. Best of luck to you and your Pops on the drive up.
i was going to use my b.o.p. to go there. i've been updating my dream sheet constantly during the cycles for over sea assignments. and with patience, it paid off
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #50
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
we were planning on bringing some guns with us. mostly for protection reasons. i think we narrowed it down to the 20 gauge and a .357. maybe i need to read up more on the canadian laws? bc that would suck to get our guns confiscated. and i don't have a record, criminally. so i should be good.
Canadian gun laws are like California gun laws on steroids.

At least I can transport an unloaded handgun if it's in a locked container.
Canadian restrictions on handguns are extremely tough, I believe it is not possible to transport many handguns through. Even long guns are tightly regulated.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...nstocanada.htm

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4" are completely prohibited.

As far as for protection, loaded carry would be completely out of the question. In the US, your hotel room and camp site is an extension of your residence, but I don't believe that applies in Canada.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #51
Banff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBanff2007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
Banff2007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC47 View Post
It might be a bit out of your way, but if you can make the drive from Banff to Jasper it will be well worth your time. Beautiful drive through the Rockies.
Sounds like an awesome adventure and really looking forward to any kind of write up on the trip with pictures. If you do decide to drive through here (which may be out of your way now seeing as you are driving from Cali) shoot a PM and maybe we can hook up and I can show you where to go and what to see.

When I was younger we drove to California from Alberta and then back up the coast and it was so awesome. You will enjoy it no doubt. Good luck. Cheers.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Canadian gun laws are like California gun laws on steroids.

At least I can transport an unloaded handgun if it's in a locked container.
Canadian restrictions on handguns are extremely tough, I believe it is not possible to transport many handguns through. Even long guns are tightly regulated.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...nstocanada.htm

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4" are completely prohibited.

As far as for protection, loaded carry would be completely out of the question. In the US, your hotel room and camp site is an extension of your residence, but I don't believe that applies in Canada.
im not really sure what are plan is at this point for the guns. i didn't realize how dumb canada was about guns lol. guess we'll just have to figure something out.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff2007Tacoma View Post
Sounds like an awesome adventure and really looking forward to any kind of write up on the trip with pictures. If you do decide to drive through here (which may be out of your way now seeing as you are driving from Cali) shoot a PM and maybe we can hook up and I can show you where to go and what to see.

When I was younger we drove to California from Alberta and then back up the coast and it was so awesome. You will enjoy it no doubt. Good luck. Cheers.
kinda way out of the way haha but thank you non the less.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #54
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
definitely. some cities to check out would be vancouver B.C it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world. banf and jasper in Alberta is gorgeous as well, and if you can make it happen, check out lake louise...

I think the drive from norther bc or alberta into alaska would be beautiful as well.
Yes indeed, visited this year and Lake Louise is awesome! Bamff, Jasper all worth seeing.
Take time to visit if you can and not just drive all day.
Have fun!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #55
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . . Sub'd for future "trip pics" . . .
Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #56
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Would make it road trip / food trip. Do your own man vs food.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #57
Cheese Head.
TheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TheGrinch's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TheGrinch
i Would do it in a heart beat. Like you said, not every day do you get a chance to make that drive. id stop in multiple states along the way, make a vacation outta it. im sure your dad would love it as well. me and my dad would prob hit every bar at night we possibly could.

subd for future pics

edit: just saw your going from CA now, but still, take the dirve. have fun with your fam, then go through OR ad WA and canada.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #58
neilvan has much to be proud ofneilvan has much to be proud ofneilvan has much to be proud ofneilvan has much to be proud ofneilvan has much to be proud ofneilvan has much to be proud ofneilvan has much to be proud ofneilvan has much to be proud of
neilvan's Tacoma Gallery
You are going to want to get chains if you are driving through Alberta, the Yukon and Alaska in March.

You will also want to consider 'snowflake' rated tires, they are the law on some highways in BC (during the winter). I would think Alberta etc will have similar regulations.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-index-468.htm

Good luck and have a great drive!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #59
bellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to beholdbellero is a splendid one to behold

Army:
bellero's Tacoma Gallery
Lucky you, driving the Alaska Hwy is on my bucket list. Enjoy your posting.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #60
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, if I could drive to Alaska from here and not have to pay for it I would do it in a heartbeat.