Notices

So im driving from florida to alaska...

Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Davidson is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Cody
Davidson's Tacoma Gallery
So im driving from florida to alaska...

Yesterday i get home from work (home is tyndall afb, panama city fl) and check my email to find out i got orders to Elmendorf. just outside of Anchorage Alaska. i can fly and the military would ship my vehicle to alaska along with all my belongings. but truthfully, i think i'm going to just man up and drive it. how often do you get the chance to drive across north america and get paid to do it? i wouldn't be doing it alone. my dad would be accompanying me. what do you guys think? am i crazy for wanting to do this drive? or would you do the same? suggestions would be nice!

ps. im looking for a camper shell for sale, i've wanted one for awhile and now i have a reason to get one haha.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery

Props to you bro, all I have to say.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
definitely a good chance for a great road trip with your father. give yourself lots of time and do it!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Theyre paying for gas? And thats alot of miles on your truck too..... but it would be a good father son bonding time............ Do ettttt
Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
definitely a good chance for a great road trip with your father. give yourself lots of time and do it!
x2 on this, my recent colorado trip with the old man will be remembered forever, I don't regret it one bit.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
RoninTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
RoninTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Do it, you wont forget it.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post

Props to you bro, all I have to say.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Theyre paying for gas? And thats alot of miles on your truck too..... but it would be a good father son bonding time............ Do ettttt
And this. I had them move my stuff and drove myself. That may be an option depending on the amount of HHG you have.

I would do it in a heartbeat, I love to drive, especially long distances.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

well i found out that they run a ferry from washington to alaska. about 6 days long. but it would cut out ALOT of driving. and i pay for the gas upfront and would eventually get reimbursed.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
honestly you'll miss the most beautiful part of that drive if you take the ferry haha
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
when i moved from california to florida my dad and i drove out here together. and it was alot of fun surprisingly. he was stoked when i told him we might be driving to alaska. so at this point. its looking like its going to happen. but its only been one day lol.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
slingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Matt
slingshot5r's Tacoma Gallery
Do it! I'm stationed up there and when it comes time for me to PCS I want to drive too. Every person I know that has done the drive is very glad they did it that way. The drive through Canada is supposed to be amazing.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
honestly you'll miss the most beautiful part of that drive if you take the ferry haha
so do you think i should skip the ferry and go for the drive thru canada?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds cool, I would do it.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #14

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
definitely. some cities to check out would be vancouver B.C it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world. banf and jasper in Alberta is gorgeous as well, and if you can make it happen, check out lake louise...

I think the drive from norther bc or alberta into alaska would be beautiful as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #15

my orders say i need to be there by april, do you think weather will be an issue? idk how the weather is in canada during that time of year
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #16

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
if you go through bc/alberta over the winter you'll hit lots of snow, but you are headed to alaska, getting used to snow might be a good idea haha
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Man that's awesome I'd love to make that drive. I'd have to get an oil change and a tire rotation on the way haha
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #18
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
I would definitely drive as long as your truck is reliable. I wish I ha the time to do it! Make sure you post pics if you do it.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I would definitely drive as long as your truck is reliable. I wish I ha the time to do it! Make sure you post pics if you do it.
its a toyota, of coarse its reliable haha. i plan on taking lots of pics. i wish it was march already, i cant wait!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
tacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacobot's Tacoma Gallery
I would totally drive especially since you'll get some of the gas $$ back. It's such a great opportunity!