Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Road Trip from San Diego to Alaska

Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
hatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
hatch017's Tacoma Gallery
Road Trip from San Diego to Alaska

Hey guys, I am a fairly new member and I thought I would share some pictures from my recent 6 week road trip to Alaska from San Diego!!

The Tacoma was awesome! I will post by build up in the Build section if you want more details about what I did to get ready for this trip.

If you have any questions about anything let me know. We did 9500 miles total in a 6 week span and every bit of it was awesome!!!

Stay tuned for pics!!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
ToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt(hew)
ToyComa84's Tacoma Gallery
GRAVY! sounds AWESOME!

How was the trip?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
ToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt(hew)
ToyComa84's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and welcome to TW
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
hatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhatch017 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Packing up almost ready to head out!

On the road

Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #7

pulled up to one of many campsites.

Yes, Duct tape fixes everything.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #8

Wildlife

Yes, a Moose!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #9

Seward AK. my uncle and aunts place.

Covered in dirt (just like it should be) after 120mi of rough dirt roads in a day. This is the day my camper shell cracked... Yes, cracked from too much weight up top.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch017 View Post
This is the day my camper shell cracked... Yes, cracked from too much weight up top.
+1 for the window sticker on your busted camper shell.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YEAH NICE BUMPER STICKER.

Other than thought, cool pics. I want to take a trip up to Alaska one of these days. Any more pictures?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
YEAH NICE BUMPER STICKER.
I was wondering when you'd show up!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #14

Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Do any fishing while you were up there?

Seward is a pretty cool town when the tourist clear out a little bit.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #16

No fishing this trip, my girlfriend gets sea sick and there was so much to see!! My uncle has a charter halibut boat in seward so ill fly up one summer for a week long fishing trip! My dad flew out while we were there and went out on his boat because he had an open spot and got 2 50 pounders.

How to open and close the back haha..

One of many Glaciers

Longest wood bridge or something like that (from original Alaskan Highway).. curved so much because it avoids rough terrain

Girlfriend's uncle has a float plane in anchorage.. yes it is awesome!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #17

Oh yeah.. I drove the whole AK Highway and the whole trip.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! I'm so living vicariously through you right now! Please post more pics if you would be so kind. That trip is on my bucket list for sure. If you don't mind me asking what was the nature of your trip, business or pleasure? In hindsight, any mods to the truck you would do or not do? Aside from the rack issue. Good stuff man!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #19

Well its was one of those trips thats once in a lifetime and my girlfriend and I were both graduating from college.. so we figured it was the best time to do a trip like that. It is definitely a trip everyone should do! The Alaska Highway is such an awesome drive! I would say the three main things would have been: a sleeping platform in the bed, leaf springs that can hold weight (AAL didnt do squat), and one of those fridge coolers that dont need ice. Actually having an on board water system would have been nice too

-It was kind of a pain setting up a tent every night and breaking it down (takes away from exploring time).
-The leaf springs were squatting pretty good and it would have sucked if one busted. -Dealing with ice always kinda sucks.
-We stayed in government campgrounds most of the time and rv parks every third night or so for showers. having a water supply other than bottles would be nice because the government campgrounds had hand pumps and the water was pretty murky with like dirt or silt in it.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Well, let this be a lesson to y'all, post a thread BEFORE you come up so the peeps up here can show you a good time. I'll just put it out there that any member who notifies me that they're coming up is getting a steak dinner, some firing time behind some guns, and some wheeling. Would have loved to show you around man! Looks like you had fun though! Congrats on the alcan! It's a fun drive for sure.