1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camp Equipment

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Sargechris, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 20, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    Sargechris

Sargechris [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport/Tow Pyrite Mica
    BFG AT KO 265/70R17 Tires, SnugTop Sport Hi Liner, Yakima Racks / Load Warrior, WeatherTech Floor Liners, BedRug/BedMat
    OK.. Got the Taco,, the cap is almost here,, already have Rack System for shell... Getting antsy--wanna go camping!

Never truck-camped before. Heck--never really camped much before (a little 30 years ago--bicycle camping). Gonna sleep in the truck (sometimes solo, sometimes with my Wife).

Some questions: 1) What Stove? Coleman Dual Fuel or Propane?; 2) What truck bed mattress: AirBedz vs. Truckbedz? (will have BedRug installed already); 3) Lighting: Battery/Rechargeable or the old stand-by Coleman Dual Fuel or Propane?

And does anyone do anything "special" that makes life easier? (heater, tarp/shelter, ground cover, etc.).

Basic stuff, but I figured with the vast amount of knowledge on TW I might as well get some info... :thumbsup:

2. Sep 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    Engineer

Engineer New Member

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
  3. Sep 21, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    Sargechris

Member:
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    BFG AT KO 265/70R17 Tires, SnugTop Sport Hi Liner, Yakima Racks / Load Warrior, WeatherTech Floor Liners, BedRug/BedMat
    Very nice setup indeed! :thumbsup:

I may eventually try something similar...

4. Sep 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    your camping out of your truck. piece o cake. you dont have to worry about weight.

here is one lesson i picked up. buy a propane stove. the kind that uses those small portable green propane tanks. then go to a hardware store and buy the adapter hose that allows you to hook up a 20lb bottle to that stove. you will have cooking capacity for weeks!! you dont cram the landfills with those green bottles, you save $$. win win. plus in an earthquake the system is a fantastic backup if you are camping in the backyard while your home teeters on destruction. jus sayin.

lantern..dual fuel. same quake readiness. i love mine. it is a tad less bright than my 1960 green coleman lantern...but the ability to run unleaded is huge in a disaster. a propane latern that runs on those green bottles is awesome too..you can run them off your big 20lb bottle too with a simple adaptor tree.

buy a cheap tent..sleeping in the back of the truck makes little sense to me. you might want to go wheeling, or hit a local bar with the babe in the next campsite over..you just never know.

buy a cheap foam pad. add an ice chest a cheap sleeping bag and you are done..the rest of the gear..you will accrue over time. a 5 gallon water jug wont suck either.

5. Sep 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    The propane lantern makes more sense than a battery operated one in cold weather. Makes a great heater.

Just don't make the mistake I made a few years ago while hunting elk. I set up camp in the bed of the truck one evening when a snow storm started. It was nice and cozy with the lantern going. Cooked some stew the wife sent in a quart canning jar, then read a bit before bedtime. Shut things down about 8:30 and went to sleep. The heat from the lantern melted the snow off the top. Some of the water ran off the back and froze the latch on the camper shell door. I woke in the morning with an overwhelming need to answer nature's call. There was no way to melt that ice quickly enough. A frantic search through the truck bed yielded that quart canning jar, which saved the day. I still haven't figured out why she threw that jar out.

6. Sep 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    Sargechris

Member:
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Aficianado: Great Info! I am on the fence between the propane stove (for all the reasons you stated) OR a Dual Fuel Stove (more versatile?). And I was planning on getting a tent for my gear--but big enough for 2 if desired ;) . Any remarks on the dual fuel stove?

AZReb: What a GREAT story!! :rofl: I was leaning toward battery/rechargeable lantern, but now I'm not sure... I was thinking the battery one would be cleaner, zero maintenance, and no fire hazard. I realize it won't be as bright, but I can recharge it from my Taco's bed power outlet (cool!).

Thanks to all for helping!

:cheers:

7. Sep 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    Not so sure a propane lantern is indoors safe. I don't run mine in a tent or my truck bed. For a heater those Mr Heater things kick butt.

8. Sep 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    There were enough air leaks around the tailgate and I opened the windows a bit. I have camped that way many times without any problems. YMMV

9. Sep 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    Lawson8408

Lawson8408 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    N/A at this time
    Hey you wouldnt happen to be in the Corps by chance? I had a buddy that did this with his taco. awesome job by the way!!!

10. Dec 29, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    castle809

castle809 New Member

Member:
    Austin Tx
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hi. Just got my first truck (Tacoma)for camping and found your post on TW about storage in the bed for camping. Thats exactly what I want to build for my adventures. I am doing research before I start shopping for the camper top.
    I can't tell from your picture what size top you have. Is it cab high or higher? I have wondered how much room there would be to sleep, sit up, generally move around with sleeping surface on top of the wheel well.
    Any pcitures or other things you have learned since you posted this are most welcome!

Thanks
    Jan

11. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    propane burning indoors is fine. most if not all warehouses use propane forklifts because they are safe(r). anything that can displace oxygen is inherently dangerous, but propane burns pretty clean and it would take a significant amount of the unburned gas to even give you a headache much less kill you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top