Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Camp Equipment

Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Law Enforcement: Sgt. L.A. Sheriff, (Ret.)
Sargechris's Tacoma Gallery
Camp Equipment

OK.. Got the Taco,, the cap is almost here,, already have Rack System for shell... Getting antsy--wanna go camping!

Never truck-camped before. Heck--never really camped much before (a little 30 years ago--bicycle camping). Gonna sleep in the truck (sometimes solo, sometimes with my Wife).

Some questions: 1) What Stove? Coleman Dual Fuel or Propane?; 2) What truck bed mattress: AirBedz vs. Truckbedz? (will have BedRug installed already); 3) Lighting: Battery/Rechargeable or the old stand-by Coleman Dual Fuel or Propane?

And does anyone do anything "special" that makes life easier? (heater, tarp/shelter, ground cover, etc.).

Basic stuff, but I figured with the vast amount of knowledge on TW I might as well get some info...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Engineer is on a distinguished road
Engineer's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Bed Drawers and Sleeping Platform

I did a lot of camping over the summer and my diy truck bed drawers worked out really well. One of the best features is that even when the truck is fully packed we could easily get to the important stuff, e.g. water, camp stove, fishing poles, ice chest and food. Check out http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...tem/index.html.
Attached Thumbnails
Camp Equipment-tacoma-bed-drawers-1.jpg   Camp Equipment-tacoma-bed-drawers-2.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Sargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to allSargechris is a name known to all

Very nice setup indeed!

I may eventually try something similar...
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
your camping out of your truck. piece o cake. you dont have to worry about weight.

here is one lesson i picked up. buy a propane stove. the kind that uses those small portable green propane tanks. then go to a hardware store and buy the adapter hose that allows you to hook up a 20lb bottle to that stove. you will have cooking capacity for weeks!! you dont cram the landfills with those green bottles, you save $$. win win. plus in an earthquake the system is a fantastic backup if you are camping in the backyard while your home teeters on destruction. jus sayin.

lantern..dual fuel. same quake readiness. i love mine. it is a tad less bright than my 1960 green coleman lantern...but the ability to run unleaded is huge in a disaster. a propane latern that runs on those green bottles is awesome too..you can run them off your big 20lb bottle too with a simple adaptor tree.

buy a cheap tent..sleeping in the back of the truck makes little sense to me. you might want to go wheeling, or hit a local bar with the babe in the next campsite over..you just never know.

buy a cheap foam pad. add an ice chest a cheap sleeping bag and you are done..the rest of the gear..you will accrue over time. a 5 gallon water jug wont suck either.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
The propane lantern makes more sense than a battery operated one in cold weather. Makes a great heater.

Just don't make the mistake I made a few years ago while hunting elk. I set up camp in the bed of the truck one evening when a snow storm started. It was nice and cozy with the lantern going. Cooked some stew the wife sent in a quart canning jar, then read a bit before bedtime. Shut things down about 8:30 and went to sleep. The heat from the lantern melted the snow off the top. Some of the water ran off the back and froze the latch on the camper shell door. I woke in the morning with an overwhelming need to answer nature's call. There was no way to melt that ice quickly enough. A frantic search through the truck bed yielded that quart canning jar, which saved the day. I still haven't figured out why she threw that jar out.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #6

Aficianado: Great Info! I am on the fence between the propane stove (for all the reasons you stated) OR a Dual Fuel Stove (more versatile?). And I was planning on getting a tent for my gear--but big enough for 2 if desired . Any remarks on the dual fuel stove?

AZReb: What a GREAT story!! I was leaning toward battery/rechargeable lantern, but now I'm not sure... I was thinking the battery one would be cleaner, zero maintenance, and no fire hazard. I realize it won't be as bright, but I can recharge it from my Taco's bed power outlet (cool!).

Thanks to all for helping!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Not so sure a propane lantern is indoors safe. I don't run mine in a tent or my truck bed. For a heater those Mr Heater things kick butt.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
Not so sure a propane lantern is indoors safe. I don't run mine in a tent or my truck bed. For a heater those Mr Heater things kick butt.
There were enough air leaks around the tailgate and I opened the windows a bit. I have camped that way many times without any problems. YMMV
Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Lawson8408 is on a distinguished road
Navy: USN sailor
Name: Sam
Lawson8408's Tacoma Gallery
Hey you wouldnt happen to be in the Corps by chance? I had a buddy that did this with his taco. awesome job by the way!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
castle809 is on a distinguished road
castle809's Tacoma Gallery
Hi. Just got my first truck (Tacoma)for camping and found your post on TW about storage in the bed for camping. Thats exactly what I want to build for my adventures. I am doing research before I start shopping for the camper top.
I can't tell from your picture what size top you have. Is it cab high or higher? I have wondered how much room there would be to sleep, sit up, generally move around with sleeping surface on top of the wheel well.
Any pcitures or other things you have learned since you posted this are most welcome!

Thanks
Jan
Old 03-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
transplant has much to be proud oftransplant has much to be proud oftransplant has much to be proud oftransplant has much to be proud oftransplant has much to be proud oftransplant has much to be proud oftransplant has much to be proud oftransplant has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
propane burning indoors is fine. most if not all warehouses use propane forklifts because they are safe(r). anything that can displace oxygen is inherently dangerous, but propane burns pretty clean and it would take a significant amount of the unburned gas to even give you a headache much less kill you.