1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a cheap travel trailer..

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Toyota Tacoma, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 26, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Edit : this has turned into more of a build thread

So, Its hunting season and I have decided I would like to get a camper.

I'm going to school full time (finished in 5 months) so I have limited money.

I looked at the best options for my truck and decided not to go with a camper, but a trailer.

I found a 22 foot 1980 rustler. (majestic right?) The guy says everything works, he reinforced the roof 2 years ago and has no leaks, put it all new lights and painted the inside. From the pictures it looks very clean, and everything looks straight. Says its in good shape inside and out. Hes asking 1000 or best offer.

How does that sound to you? Its about an hour away so I thought id get some opinions first.

Its mostly going to get used for hunting trips with the boys this winter and summer camping trips with friends. All under 1 hour away. (go Canada)

My truck has an aal, K&N cold air, Borla catback and 5100's, it sits nose down about an inch and a quarter.

Heres the ad

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/1977_22_rustler_tandem_axle/1458698/

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  2. Oct 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
  3. Oct 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    I have no experience or worthy advice. But it looks pretty dang good. Go for it! And if you cant find a job after you graduate (I'm in the same boat....) you have a place to live! hahah

4. Oct 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    If it all looks good tomorrow I think I'm going to do it.

It weighs 4600 pounds, I have a brake controller but do you guys think I will have any issues towing it? It will be on mostly slow windy hilly terrain.

5. Oct 27, 2012 at 1:49 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Damn that's a clean trailer man. I would jump on it and paint that Fukn gay interior and toss that blue bubble lamp for an antler chandelier.

6. Oct 27, 2012 at 2:40 AM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    You should be fine. I have pulled a couple of trailers with my 2008 tacoma. here is the 2 that I have pulled. The White enclosed trailer weighed in at 2995 dry and was around 4200 loaded. The Toy hauler dry is 6300 and loaded is about 6900. I have only done close trips as of 50 miles from home with the heavier trailer but the enclosed Ive done around 400 miles and it does ok with it. Gets around 8 miles to the gallon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Oct 27, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    pretty clean trailer!! how does it sleep five?

what does the outside look like? hunting where you dont need a tent is about the best thing ever!! good luck..offer him $800 cash..hehe.

8. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Bought it!

Offered him 800 and he took it.

Its as clean as it looks, exterior is in great shape, new propane fittings, axles all look good, 4 wheel brakes, frame looks good, New water tank and pump. The counter is huge which i love.

The kitchen table folds down into a double, the couch behind does the same, and then the shelf above folds down into a bunk bed!

All the lights work, has a full bathroom with shower, sink and toilet. Septic tank is in working order as well!

9. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    doooooooodeee!!

he took $800???!!! hahaha. awesome.

how about a pic of the exterior? congrats

10. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    I mentioned how ugly the floor was as a joke and he even threw in enough hardwood to do the camper! hahah

I will get pics of exterior tomorrow in the light, I'm going to end up painting the whole thing white with some black or grey designs to make it look a little newer.

11. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    Rocknroll

Rocknroll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Offroad DCLB 4x4
  12. Oct 29, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Here she is!

I'm going to paint it all white with grey/black designs. My friend works at Rona and got me heated hardwood underlay so its going to have heated floors! (starting on the flooring this weekend) Trailer brakes work very well, Everything looks good! No leaks or nothin, over all I'm happy with it. :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Oct 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    that is bad ass..especially for the price you got it for!!

14. Nov 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Update for anyone interested

I put my new paint gun to use and painted the whole thing semi gloss white, Window trim, vents painted to match. Inside I painted the furnace and a bunch of other little things. I put two 6.5'' boat speakers outside as well as two inside hooked up to a deck from my old truck. I had a 22'' monitor laying around so I mounted it on the wall as well as my old xbox 350 in the cupboard above for rainy days. I'm thinking about welding up a roof rack and ladder for bulky items. Maybe in a few weeks.

My parents are letting me keep it in the barn over winter so it will be put of the elements.

I"m into it for under 1000 bucks and its pretty well exactly what I want.

Will get pictures this week and post them up

15. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Pictures! Iv been slowly working on it over winter. Hard to find time with school and work but here is how she sits.

Only a few more cosmetic things to go! I find the blue funny and retro so I'm gonna keep it, Plus they are cooler colors for summer :cool:

Iv got 1100 bucks into it at this point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  16. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    That is awesome. I wish I could get something in that good of shape for that cheap, even if I have to put a lot in it, that is still worth it. Only problem is that I have a 4 cylinder :(

17. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    It really has been a fun project. Couple of my friends have been watching the progress and are now on the hunt. One even found one and is picking it up this weekend :D

18. Feb 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    i love it. i would buy something like that and gut it and make it uber lightweight. aluminum shelfs and counter tops..

how does it tow behind your truck?

19. Feb 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Good work op

20. Feb 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    It tows very well, I expected much worse when I went to pick it up but it was great on the highway on the way home.

I think I'm going to pick up a set of air bags to help out with the weight of the atv + camper though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top