Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

California Winter Camping Suggestions

Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
California Winter Camping Suggestions

So me and my girl usually take a trip during the summer but haven't been able to until now. We had a few places planned, blue lakes in particular, but most are either closed or road conditions will be bad as it might to snow this weekend. We've narrowed it down to Lassen, pinnacles, or prairie creek redwoods SP

We prefer somewhere out of the way, in the mountains, dogs ok, possibly a lake and within about 5 or 6 hr drive from the bay area.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
My favorite places to camp when the inland mountains are too cold are along the coast, or close to it. Two favorite places, by far...Big Sur, or Cachuma Lake.

If you can get it, there are a couple camping spots in Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park in Big Sur, where you're literally camping on a bluff over the ocean. It's pretty awesome. If that doesn't suit you, we stayed at Pfeiffer Big Sur Campground, just a few miles up highway 1 from the state park. Very secluded, plenty of woods, and just a few min from the beach at Andrew Molera state park. Lots of hiking, and there's a river running though it too.

This is a photo I took from the Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park campsite, on the bluffs. This is the view from your tent.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
I have been to Lassen and can recommend it. When i went it was empty. And this was on a holiday weekend. Great hiking. There is a lake up there with camping. I would avoid the lake as a guy got attacked by a beaver in it. Lawl. Saw a bald eagle when i was there.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
My favorite places to camp when the inland mountains are too cold are along the coast, or close to it. Two favorite places, by far...Big Sur, or Cachuma Lake.

If you can get it, there are a couple camping spots in Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park in Big Sur, where you're literally camping on a bluff over the ocean. It's pretty awesome. If that doesn't suit you, we stayed at Pfeiffer Big Sur Campground, just a few miles up highway 1 from the state park. Very secluded, plenty of woods, and just a few min from the beach at Andrew Molera state park. Lots of hiking, and there's a river running though it too.

This is a photo I took from the Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park campsite, on the bluffs. This is the view from your tent.

Thats one of the most beautiful views in all CA we pulled out just above the trail and this is what you see

NVM for some reason I can't upload the pic, anyway it's beautiful but we were there about 2 months ago.

'll have to check out Cachuma Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
I have been to Lassen and can recommend it. When i went it was empty. And this was on a holiday weekend. Great hiking. There is a lake up there with camping. I would avoid the lake as a guy got attacked by a beaver in it. Lawl. Saw a bald eagle when i was there.
Yeah its a great park, its kinda our go to spot, when we can't decide or are passing by going elsewhere we usually spend a few nights there.

Thanks for the suggestions keep em coming!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Theres a couple places near (close to Reno) Boca to camp. I was totally alone last time I winter camped there.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #6

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Theres a couple places near (close to Reno) Boca to camp. I was totally alone last time I winter camped there.
You mean the reservoir? I didn't know you could camp there in the winter. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post

Hows the cat?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sorry for picture whoring, just figured I'd dump the whole album.

Haven't made it to stampede in the winter yet though, always get stuck.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #9

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Um... Fuck YEAH! I think I know where I'm going! Well maybe, well see with the weather, it would be fun to camp in the snow for a couple days, but we're planning on 5 days. Not sure how happy the dogs would be lol,
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #10

I think it was here roughly, FWIW. I've only camped at Boca once, but been there more than a few times just to snow wheel.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.45172...16501&t=h&z=17
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #11

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Ramsey is doing great, thanks for asking!

I also remembered, if Tioga Pass is open (which it probably wont be), Convict Lake is another option. One of my most favorite places along the Eastern Sierras, but IDK how late in the year they allow camping. This is a panoramic I took of the lake facing west in April of 2011.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
there is a small camping spot, next to kangaroo lake. it is prob 5 hours north of us in the bay area. west of Weed, ca. the site is fantastic. small, relatively unknown. i deer hunt near there.

the lake is surrounded by steep cliffs, but kangaroo campsite offers a beach. i bet it snows up there, but it is pretty sheltered by the rocks..

dont know when it closes..or if it closes.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #14

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the suggestions, rep coming your way!

W decided to had it to kind canyon, haven't been there since I was a kid.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #15

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #17

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

They really can't do it justice.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
brrr!! looks like a great time..any clue how low the temps got at night?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #20

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
I bet not camera can never capture how awesome the landscape is it kinda sux.
Exactly, it's just insane driving down the canyon, my mouth was hanging open the entire time. Great part about the weather, there was hardly anyone there so I was able to stop as much as I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
brrr!! looks like a great time..any clue how low the temps got at night?
It was AWESOME!

Don't know for sure what it dropped to but it was below freezing every night, maybe not the last, but everything froze.