Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Baja surf expo 2012

Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
That looked like an epic trip. How did you plan the route? I been wanting to do something like this for awhile. Reminds me of Mazatlan.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #22
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
ffdawson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon2588 View Post
That looked like an epic trip. How did you plan the route? I been wanting to do something like this for awhile. Reminds me of Mazatlan.
Thanks! Yeah it was a blast.
Basically I plotted my route by working backwards. I knew I had 15 days total, so I worked backward from the day I had to be back at work. That helped me decide how far south I wanted to go. Once I determined my furthest southerly point, I basically just researched killer surf breaks and Bitchin camping spots. I was focusing on surf breaks that would pick up W, NW, and WNW swells, cause that's what hits the pacific coast in winter/fall. A summertime trip would be totally different...

Once I had the spots picked out, I spent some time on google earth planning routes between them, trying to stay on dirt as much as possible. The Baja Almanac is a great resource for finding fun dirt roads/tracks in baja.

Part of my planning included leaving plenty of time for contingencies, as things rarely go exactly as planned. In fact, my trip was off its "schedule" by the second day we were down there! But that's half the fun, being able to switch it up at the last second and do whatever you feel like!

The last factor in the trip planning was the surf. Surfline.com has pretty accurate weather and condition reports, so we'd check it periodically when we got to a town with Internet access. We ended up getting a 5 day stretch of no waves, during which we headed over to the sea of Cortez (eastern) side for some snorkeling and fishing, then made it back to the pacific in time for a week of awesome pumping NW swell!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #23
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
Wow man I'm :jelly:... One day
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks. I can't wait to get back to the west coast.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #25
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrien View Post
Wow man I'm :jelly:... One day
Make it happen! I'm guessing we spent right around $1k for a 15 day adventure. (not counting the mods to my truck to make it all possible obviously) but honestly how often can you take a 2 week vaycay with you wife and dog for under a G? Airfare alone to most places would be pushing that!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #26
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw the pics... beautiful! Baja is the best!
El Requeson is our preferred spot, camped right where you did in 2007... In 2009 and 2012 it was too full, so just south at La Perla was great the last two times.

The you tube link needs more to work, maybe? The bakery is in 'Santa Rosalia' rather than El Rosario, just fyi. Great times in Baja... wish I was there more than up here!

Thank you for sharing! Try Bahia Asuncion next trip... paved all the way from Vizcaino now, and lots of surf coast north and south from there. See Shari who runs a great B&B there and a surf shack at San Roque www.bahiaasuncion.com
Old 12-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
watched the video, looked like fun. don't lock those legs up too much, compress and extend as you turn - ofcourse you drove 3000 miles so your legs might be like steel.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #28
Adventurer

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
watched the video, looked like fun. don't lock those legs up too much, compress and extend as you turn - ofcourse you drove 3000 miles so your legs might be like steel.
Haha! Thanks bro, thats actually the first time I've ever seen any footage of me surfing! It feels way better than it looks
Old 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #29
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking trip and rig! Thank you for sharing it with us, like others have said, this is on my to do list!!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #30
OneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
OneWheelDrive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdawson View Post

#16 Cool beach art
The Wall is one of my favorite spots!

I'm reviving this thread because I love trips to Baja and there aren't many of us that seem to realize how great, and relatively safe it still is.

Looks like you had an amazing trip. I'm getting ready to plan a big trip to Scorpion in November and seeing photos like this always gets me pumped up! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #31
Adventurer

Firefighter:
Haha, right on! Thanks for pumping some life back into this thread

Every time I look at the pics I start getting the itch again... That feeling, the smell, the taste of cheap tacos and cold Tecate by the case Man I'm going nuts just thinking about it.

Scorpion in Nov should be awesome. Make sure to post up some good pics, keep the stoke runnin strong!

I'm planning on heading down to Todos Santos sometime in the winter. Gotta wait a few months though, wife just gave birth to our first, a daughter. We'll probably wait till feb or so, give her time to grow up a bit But soon enough we'll head back down!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
OneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdawson View Post
Haha, right on! Thanks for pumping some life back into this thread

Every time I look at the pics I start getting the itch again... That feeling, the smell, the taste of cheap tacos and cold Tecate by the case Man I'm going nuts just thinking about it.

Scorpion in Nov should be awesome. Make sure to post up some good pics, keep the stoke runnin strong!

I'm planning on heading down to Todos Santos sometime in the winter. Gotta wait a few months though, wife just gave birth to our first, a daughter. We'll probably wait till feb or so, give her time to grow up a bit But soon enough we'll head back down!
Rad! Congrats on the firstborn! If you go to Todos, you should get out of the heat of the desert for a day and stay at my family friends' hacienda. They're great people! www.villasantacruz.com Tell them Pete sent ya!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
wow

looks absolutely amazing!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #34
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta bump this. I plan on going on an expo in the summer and this is my motivation right here!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #35

God I love Mexico. Here's some photos from my last trip to Baja Malibu and La Fonda with the Tacoma and the ski for some step offs.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #36
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
I am pumped up to go diving in the Yucatan next week and already wishing I would have my tacoma with me but just too far a drive from NY with only a short window. i will instead live vicariously through your photos. Congrats on the baby girl!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #37
Adventurer

Firefighter:
Thanks guys! I'm pumped this thread keeps getting action, because every time I go back and look at it I get all fired up for epic surf adventures!

1wd those are some awesome pics, Baja Malibu? I've had la Fonda on a pretty good day, used to be easy to hit up when I lived down in SD. We'd go camp at Salsipuedes and surf all the good spots from Salsi down to Ensenada.

Gotta get back down!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #39
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw this thread - looks like a sick trip! One of these days I'll make it down to mexico for a surf trip. So many trips plans and everyone always bails. But what are you going to do?

EDIT: also, I need more of this in my life:
Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #40
HB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to allHB Taco is a name known to all
HB Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thread. Used to go scout da surf from Rosarito to Ensenada a lot in my single days. Went all the way to Scorpion Bay in 05 and recognize some of those areas. If you go with the baby my hats off to you. We had twins in 06 and haven't been down since. Thanks for sharing.