Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

NYC! Advice, tips, and suggestions for visiting the big city this winter please

Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
NYC! Advice, tips, and suggestions for visiting the big city this winter please

Hello,

I will be traveling to the heart if New York City on January 4th 2013 and will be there for about 5 days with my girlfriend. Our main purpose of travel is it visit my mom in Massachusetts, but our stay in NYC will be our little mini vacation prior to all the family time up north.

I have been to NYC once before in January about 5 years ago, but only for a single day, and didn't really get to do much other than freeze my ass off. It sucked cuz I had no freakin clue what I was doing. This trip will be much more enjoyable and well planned out. I'll arrive by plane, have a hotel for 4 nights, then take the train to MA.

I am looking for advice anywhere I can get it:

Recommendations on things to see and/or visit.

Specific places to eat or check out. Any bars, clubs, restaurants, etc.

Places of interest.

What types of clothing to bring to stay warm.

Any items that are essential to my comfort/enjoyment that I may forget or not think about.

Best ways to get around (rental, cab, bus, subway, walk, etc)

Anything else that is a must see or do before I leave.

Weather is forecasted for about 39° daytime high and around 28° nighttime low. Unsure about rain/snow as its still a little too early to tell, but as of now, the chance of some rain and slush is probable.

Any suggestions, ideas, requests, assistance, etc is great. New airline restrictions limit your check-on baggage to under 63" (L+H+W) and 50lbs or else your charged $175 for oversize baggage. Normal check-on baggage is also no longer free... $25 for your first bag and $35 for a second bag (within the limits). Small carry on is still free. So with that said, I will be extremely limited on what I can bring since my heavy coats and shoes will quickly consume what little space I do have available.

Thanks in advance. Plenty of pictures to come (if anyone cares )
Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
bigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Eric
bigef12's Tacoma Gallery
Ride the red double decker bus around the city. Grayling tours is the company. You can buy 48 hour hop on/off tickets. Three different loops to see the entire city and Brooklyn. I've only been in June (3 time, balls hot up there...) so packing wasn't an issue. Obviously take your girl ice skating at Rockefeller center. My favorite place to eat is Pig n Whistle on 3rd. It's a pub, and I don't drink, but they have awesome food. I get the Big Mahon.

There's also a "half price" ticket booth in Times Square for broadway shows. Not the biggest fan, but women like it.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
bigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Eric
bigef12's Tacoma Gallery
Or for transportation, you can get a Metro card (week pass) for the subway for $28.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Carry a hard hat and tape measure so you fit in that way the locals don't eat you alive. Also bums are afraid of construction workers in most cases.

Otherwise regardless of where you're from you'll look like a tourist
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
HAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HAVOC's Tacoma Gallery
One place I would recommend is http://www.jekyllpub.com/
(turn down your speakers, there is some music on the home page)
Old 12-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Heartland Brewery is close to Radio City Music Hall. Ellen's Stardust Diner is cool, the wait staff are basically auditioning for acting and singing gigs and walk around singing and putting on a show. Teuscher chocolate is a good idea too. They actually fly back their chocolate and truffles from Switzerland. Madame Tussaud's wax museum is cool too. You could take a horse and carriage ride if you wanted as well. FAO Schwarz has changed drastically since KB Toys bought it, IE: they don't do the show on the BIG Piano anymore which WAS cool to watch. That is all I can think of right now.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Take your preferred headache medicine. I don't know what it is about that place but I always get a headache.

Personally, I'd avoid the Hard Rock's/Planet Hollywood/Large Franchise restaurants. Your really not missing anything. The best places to eat are the mom and pop delis/pizza places/diners.

Central Park zoo is nice. The Diamond District is pretty neat too. The Intrepid museum is also nice if you like aircraft. Definitely check out Ground Zero. Wall Street is right around the corner from there. You can also take a boat tour.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Carry a hard hat and tape measure so you fit in that way the locals don't eat you alive. Also bums are afraid of construction workers in most cases.

and look everybody directly in the eye's...freaks em out up there
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
Phil5393 has a spectacular aura aboutPhil5393 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Phil
Phil5393's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta go to the Halal cart on 53rd and 6th

http://www.yelp.com/biz/53rd-and-6th...-cart-new-york
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That's good one, I'll have to remember that if I ever head up there again.

Kind of like if you come down south, put a Skoal can in your back pocket and wear some kind of work boots around.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Great info everyone. Lots of helpful stuff and ideas here. Some of these things won't be feasible given the weather... like a boat ride would probably be miserable, although it was part of the plans if whether was better. Ice skating is for certain, we've been twice in LA, but doing that in Rockefeller Center or Central Park at the Trump rink has to be an awesome experience.

Love the hard hat and tape measure idea, its genius! Keep em coming everyone, great info!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

FastEddie's Tacoma Gallery
Get some chocolates from Max Brenner at 841 Broadway between 13th and 14th street http://www.maxbrenner.com/home.aspx The females in your life will forever love you
Old 12-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Don't go out and get shitfaced, leave the bar without your friends and get lost. I know someone who did that and it sucked...

<---this guy
Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post

and look everybody directly in the eye's...freaks em out up there
I never look into a bums eyes. Those people just ain't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
That's good one, I'll have to remember that if I ever head up there again.

Kind of like if you come down south, put a Skoal can in your back pocket and wear some kind of work boots around.
I figured that out while lost in Atlanta one business trip. All the local hoods looking to scam a tourist were coming up to me left and right asking if I needed help, maps, girls, drugs, etc. When I got home I was wondering why no one in Philly ever asked me the same crap. I mean when I'm in the city I usually spend a day walking all over to job sites. Then I realized every time I'm walking in Philly I either have a tape measure and hard hat or some blue prints with me and no one ever messes with me. I actually get the opposite and lost tourists are asking me where to go.

Also if you smoke OP and someone comes up and asks you for a cig (even if your currently smoking) just tell them you don't smoke. Seems to screw them up and by the time they put 2 and 2 together your 1/2 a block away.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

was a joke, that's how they tell you ante from there Nobody looks at nobody in the city....weird.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Don't go out and get shitfaced, leave the bar without your friends and get lost. I know someone who did that and it sucked...

<---this guy
Hahaha that must have sucked! Good thing i have no plans to get shit faced. That place it too crazy to be drunk in. Besides, it would ruin my trip pretty bad if the next day while trying to enjoy my time walking about the city, I had to find a restroom every 30 minutes cuz my hangover gave me the alcohol shits

Quote:

Also if you smoke OP and someone comes up and asks you for a cig (even if your currently smoking) just tell them you don't smoke. Seems to screw them up and by the time they put 2 and 2 together your 1/2 a block away.
Good thing i don't smoke, but this almost makes me wish I did so I could pull this on someone
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
ground zero is a must.....
not sure whats left of lower Manhattan after sandy tho....
travel by cab..a lil $$$ but well worth the hassle
Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Stop in new haven on your ride to mass and get some pizza from pepe's. so good. That would be a pretty long walk from the train station, the cab fare would be worth it
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Thin Blue Line

Bump for more ideas
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Empire state building and boat ride to statue of liberty. I have never been there but those are two things I would for sure do, as well as the 9/11 memorial.