Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Pacific Crest, Continental Divide, and Appalachian Trails

Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Pacific Crest, Continental Divide, and Appalachian Trails

Anybody have any experience or interest in or on the Pacific Crest, Continental Divide, or Appalachian trails? Maybe thru hiking any of them? If so lets hear about it, maybe some pics or whatever.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
I've been seriously considering dropping everything and they hiking the AT. It's something I've always wanted to do.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post
I've been seriously considering dropping everything and they hiking the AT. It's something I've always wanted to do.
Oh yeah, I've talked with a couple people who've done the thru hike on the AT, one said him and his wife took six months to do it, but they stopped and relaxed in towns along the way etc..
You ever do any hiking up in that area?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
read that Bill Bryson book.."a walk in the woods"..effen funny as hell. it is about his hike down the AT trail.

great book.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
I've done thru-hike in '2009, just under 5 mounts with plenty of exercising for months before. At a cost of little over $20,000, (I am from Ca. and wify come 3 times like a month apart with new supply and we spend a weekend together. At the end she and my granddaughter come to Maine to take me home. It can be done with even more or in a shoe string fashion, the bottom line is how much cahones you keep in you-re pants.
Don't forget, 8 out of 10 drop out, for lack of exercise or preparation.
Good luck!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got a job three days before I was supposed to leave in 09. not sure i made the right decision as every March I think about it. I know tons of people who have thru hiked the AT, one that has done the CDT. Id love to do any or all of the three. A life goal for sure!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to do a 200 mile trip next year after my deployment.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Luke
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery

I have hiked portions of the AT trail and done some ridingon the Continental Divide. I am looking at doing the Tour Divide Race. 2745miles completely self supported from Baniff, British Columbia to Antelope Wells,New Mexico. I have had several freinds complete it in the past few years

http://www.tourdivide.com/

I am figuring 3-4 weeks but the top guys do it a lot faster thanthat
Old 05-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke01 View Post
I have hiked portions of the AT trail and done some ridingon the Continental Divide. I am looking at doing the Tour Divide Race. 2745miles completely self supported from Baniff, British Columbia to Antelope Wells,New Mexico. I have had several freinds complete it in the past few years

2745 miles course done on a bike in 4 weeks, puts you at exactly 100 miles a day. And this competing every single day with no rest or brake downs. This is more than any tour of France has been done on asphalt or paved roads.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
2745 miles course done on a bike in 4 weeks, puts you at exactly 100 miles a day. And this competing every single day with no rest or brake downs. This is more than any tour of France has been done on asphalt or paved roads.
Yep I know. That would put me middle of the pack. Reality of it is it will likely be 5-5 1/2 weeks for me.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
Smurf it.

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
read that Bill Bryson book.."a walk in the woods"..effen funny as hell. it is about his hike down the AT trail.

great book.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote:
I've done thru-hike in '2009, just under 5 mounts with plenty of exercising for months before. At a cost of little over $20,000, (I am from Ca. and wify come 3 times like a month apart with new supply and we spend a weekend together. At the end she and my granddaughter come to Maine to take me home. It can be done with even more or in a shoe string fashion, the bottom line is how much cahones you keep in you-re pants.
Don't forget, 8 out of 10 drop out, for lack of exercise or preparation.
Good luck!
Sweet man! Dang it cost you that much huh? I'm pretty fit, I should be good there.. 8/10 probably get home sick etc. I'm used to numerous extended periods away. Do you have any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
I got a job three days before I was supposed to leave in 09. not sure i made the right decision as every March I think about it. I know tons of people who have thru hiked the AT, one that has done the CDT. Id love to do any or all of the three. A life goal for sure!
Man, you should've done it haha, gona be haunting you now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
Trying to do a 200 mile trip next year after my deployment.
That's cool man, where you planning on doing it? Thank you for your service, I salute you bro. Been there.. Hope you in the rest make it back safe and sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke01 View Post

Cool man, thanks for the link.. I had been wondering about how that would be with some of the trails riding a mountain etc (trying to thru ride it I mean). Sure it would be good in spots and not as good in others.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
I did a portion of VA on the App Trail. Started in the lowest part, Damascus, VA to went up to Bland, VA; about 120 miles in a week. Greatest and most relaxing thing I've ever done. I look forward to the time I will be able to do the entire thing. It really is an experience that allows you to find out who you are and where you stand in this tiny place they call earth.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post

That's cool man, where you planning on doing it? Thank you for your service, I salute you bro. Been there.. Hope you in the rest make it back safe and sound.
thanks man! i plan on doing an almost 200 mile trail from marion to roanoke. i've never done too much hardcore hiking before so i'll probably drive it before hand and stash supplies along the trail (food&water) incase i need it. it should be a nice relaxing time after i'm back

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGD110-037
Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i just got back from my backpack trip. three of the most interesting people i met were these guys thru hiking the pacific crest trail. when we saw them, they were not on it, but taking an extra loop to see the scenery. they started in Mex in april, and expect to finish sept 11 in canada. one guy said his wife was meeting him for some of the legs.

they said they eat 5000 cals per day. their packs looked light!! they only drank water from old gatorade bottles. i wish they had time to dump a pack and let us see what was inside. they also only wore trail running shoes! one piece solid trekking poles. they did an average of 25 per day.

they needed to see our map to find out how to catch up with the trail. it was amazing. we were doing 11 miles per day..and we were wuuped.

they looked like elves. nobody over 150 lbs. legs were wrapped and taped..all veiney and super muscled. what a crazy thing! they said they hitchhike into town every 7 days to resupply and find the all you can eat buffets.

i wish i had more time to pick their brains. they said 800 people are doing teh PCT this year.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
Smurf it.

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordBRD View Post
I did a portion of VA on the App Trail. Started in the lowest part, Damascus, VA to went up to Bland, VA; about 120 miles in a week. Greatest and most relaxing thing I've ever done. I look forward to the time I will be able to do the entire thing. It really is an experience that allows you to find out who you are and where you stand in this tiny place they call earth.
Cool, your right about getting out in the wilderness and finding yourself, it really does help put things in perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
thanks man! i plan on doing an almost 200 mile trail from marion to roanoke. i've never done too much hardcore hiking before so i'll probably drive it before hand and stash supplies along the trail (food&water) incase i need it. it should be a nice relaxing time after i'm back

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGD110-037
That's cool man, even the drive will be nice before hand.. And that's a good thing to do when getting back from a deployment, I know it always took me a while to some what come back to reality after a long one.. And going on a nice long hike like your plaining is a great idea and way to help you wind down and adjust etc. I'll never forget after some of my deployments and the lack of color on them and mainly being in the dark a lot, being struck by the vibrant colors of flowers after getting back to the states etc. I guess that was one of the many things someone could take for granted, but it's all those smalls things about life.
I was talking to a buddy couple of weeks ago about some of the parts of AT trail in VA, wasn't long ago the police and rangers had parts of it blocked off because some psycho ass hole had set boobie traps all over the dam trail, with trip wires attached to shotguns amongst other deadly things etc. So be mindful, That would suck you come back from a deployment wanting to enjoy a hike and some POS gets you effed up or killed.. Not to mention families and children out trying to enjoy a hike. WTF are these people thinking?

On a side note you guys talking about VA are reminding me of a chick I wish I'd never met there haha..

Stay safe as you can over there man, again hope you and all the troops make it back safe and sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i just got back from my backpack trip. three of the most interesting people i met were these guys thru hiking the pacific crest trail. when we saw them, they were not on it, but taking an extra loop to see the scenery. they started in Mex in april, and expect to finish sept 11 in canada. one guy said his wife was meeting him for some of the legs.

they said they eat 5000 cals per day. their packs looked light!! they only drank water from old gatorade bottles. i wish they had time to dump a pack and let us see what was inside. they also only wore trail running shoes! one piece solid trekking poles. they did an average of 25 per day.

they needed to see our map to find out how to catch up with the trail. it was amazing. we were doing 11 miles per day..and we were wuuped.

they looked like elves. nobody over 150 lbs. legs were wrapped and taped..all veiney and super muscled. what a crazy thing! they said they hitchhike into town every 7 days to resupply and find the all you can eat buffets.

i wish i had more time to pick their brains. they said 800 people are doing teh PCT this year.
Interesting, that would've been cool to have picked there brains more for sure... That would've been good if you could've gotten some contact info from them. I bet the were super lean... Thru hiking the PCT would be some epic journey, you would really learn a lot about yourself, specially if you were soloing it.. It would be interesting to see them go into town and devour some food at an all you can eat buffet, bet they get some looks lol... Bet the one guy and his wife will be enjoying the legs in more ways than one haha..
What area were you in?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
EMS:
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here is a link to one of my riding buddies as he takes on the Tour Divide
http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide13...3c029ae5da384c

You can also see all the of the other riders, and follow along as they go. The grand depart started on the 14th. They where still seeing miles and miles of snow to ride and hike through. There are several people who are holding pace to complete in 20 days or less some of the leaders are starting to push the 15 days pace
Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Did a quick overnight, 10 mile hike to McAfee Knob on the AT this past weekend.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Smurf it.

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
Did a quick overnight, 10 mile hike to McAfee Knob on the AT this past weekend.
Cool Man! That's some good pics.. That would be an awesome place to just chill for a while and look off.