Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Tips and tricks for lots of travel

Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Tips and tricks for lots of travel

I got a promotion at work that will require me to travel. Up to 3 weeks out of the month.

With this being said what are the best tips/tricks/gadgets that you must have to travel?

So far this is what I've got:

GPS
Neck Pillow
Good noise cancelling head phones
Sleeping pills
mp3 player
Tablet
Old 05-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Roll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quinton
Roll Tide's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest finding a bag that you really like, like a carry on. One that lets you easily access everything you want. like a G.O.O.D. bag. Makes things less stressfull when you need to find something quickly.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Depend on where you're heading to...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
RiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutRiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
RiverBoyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Slip on shoes and stretchy pants
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
Depend on where you're heading to...
Everywhere in the US. Nowhere outside of the US.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
Some cash just in case....you needs something in a hurry....
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Skip the sleeping pills and substitute some exercise . They make the band stuff for easy travel .
Old 05-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
A tablet or a smaller laptop. Good luck opening up a 20" laptop on an airliner. My 13" is pretty good. The PSvita is nice the battery lasts 9+ hours of continuous use too.

Also I know you said you have noise canceling headphones. But I swear by Bose QC15s. I had mine for over a year had an issue and they replaced it for free anyways after the manufacturers warranty expired.

Also, get a nice portfolio/organizer for receipts and expenses. They also have this thing called neat receits. Which is basically a portable scanner and a program that organizes them. I don't have it but am considering getting one.

Another one is a good backpack, with good support straps for the long days walking around. The type you can strap around your waist, I have a smaller Oakley that actually looks pretty good.

Rewards cards! Sign up for them all and they are normally free!

Hope these help I will probably think of more.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
A tablet or a smaller laptop. Good luck opening up a 20" laptop on an airliner. My 13" is pretty good. The PSvita is nice the battery lasts 9+ hours of continuous use too.

Also I know you said you have noise canceling headphones. But I swear by Bose QC15s. I had mine for over a year had an issue and they replaced it for free anyways after the manufacturers warranty expired.

Also, get a nice portfolio/organizer for receipts and expenses. They also have this thing called neat receits. Which is basically a portable scanner and a program that organizes them. I don't have it but am considering getting one.

Another one is a good backpack, with good support straps for the long days walking around. The type you can strap around your waist, I have a smaller Oakley that actually looks pretty good.

Rewards cards! Sign up for them all and they are normally free!

Hope these help I will probably think of more.
Good call on the portfolio/organizer! I have to keep all my receipts so that's a really good idea as I may not be back in the office for 3 weeks.

I'll check out the bose QC15s.

Also didn't think of the rewards cards.. I'll start signing up now! Good tips.

As for my MP3 players I use old Android cell phones and strip out all the Cell radio so I can get about 10hours of music non-stop and 20+ days of standby on a charge. Haven't found anything that works better for MP3 than an old cell. Don't think I'd play video games much but I'll look into those as well.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Avoid checking a bag, if you can.

grab 3 bins at TSA checkpoint. put your shoes, wallet in your heel of the shoes, belt, ticket, iphone, all in 1 bin. Second bin gets your laptop/ipad. third bin gets toiletries. Then load your carry on. on the end of it. This will make it easy for you load up after walking through and not forget anything.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Sleeping pills
Pop 1/2 of one of these 1 hour before I want to fall asleep and out I go.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Join airline and hotel reward programs. Might as well get points on the companies dime.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
I owe it all to little chocolate donuts
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
If you need to check a bag and are worried about losing it or shit being stolen, buy a starters pistol and when you check it, tell them you have a locked unloaded weapon in your bag. They are required to put a special TSA lock on your bag, and no way in hell it's going to get misplaced or fiddled with.

Good headphones are nice to drown out passengers around you!

Airline miles are nice, but don't sit on them...I upgrade to first class if it's worth it.

A couple of 3.4 ounce containers for liquid are nice if you like to have mixed drinks during your flight!

Fluff & Folds are great for long trips, check the areas out that you are traveling too. They usually charge by the pound and you can drop off and pick up later = less clothing to pack.

Above all, the most important item you need is patience...so much shit can go wrong!

The more control you can get over your items, the better. I used to carry a change of clothes in my back pack, just in-case the airline fucked up.

A lot of times while traveling, I've run out of toothpaste. What I've found is that if you go down to the front desk and ask, they will give you at no charge, a new travel size tube. Same goes for razors etc.

If you can, try to stay at Embassy Suites, they have a free breakfast and a happy hour (managers reception) which runs for a couple hours...I find this to be my best tip!

More edits as tips come to me...
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
I travel for work. Here's what I have grown to love. Get a bag that has lots of compartments. I use a ping backpack that I can store everything in and in the same pockets EVERY time which is a must cause getting shit out on a plane sucks. Also learn to pack only the necessities so u don't have to check anything. I can pack for 4 nights in a bookbag and carry on case. iPad or tablet is a must. I carry both a laptop and a iPad. I load a few movies on my iPad that aren't on netflix or hbo go or sites like that. Buy the wifi on the plane and ur good to go. Noise canceling headphones r def a plus. And travel comfortable if u can. It's much better. If u have work/meetings straight off the flight u really can't but take advantage if u can. On and no guns bombs and well now u can carry a knife. Tsa guys r brilliant. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my buddy travels alot!! when we go to do some track day..it is clear to me that he is the smarter traveler. first his luggage is truly compartmentalized. he has smaller bags inside his carry on. for example, his toiletries are in some bag it takes out and hangs in the bathroom. it is always ready to go. it is all fit inside a carry on bag. and this bag rolls. being all macho and carrying a duffel is retarded. he moves thru an airport fast.

and he touts the benefit of fiber pills. you eat junk on the road..junk will plug your ass up.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Great ideas everyone! Thank you, keep them coming!

Also, good call on the fiber pills! haha. That's one thing that I'd never think of getting but you are totally right.