Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

summer sleeping bag?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Thank you to all our miltary personnel for serving
TyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
TyT's Tacoma Gallery
summer sleeping bag?

Does anyone know of what is a good type or good brand for a summer sleeping bag?

If so let me know please what kind and where to buy!

Thanks , Ty
Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
For what? Backpacking? Car camping? Do you sleep warm or cold? What sort of temperatures?

EDIT: Budget is good to know too...
Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
TyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTyT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TyT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
For what? Backpacking? Car camping? Do you sleep warm or cold? What sort of temperatures?

EDIT: Budget is good to know too...
I sleep warm and its for back country camping or backpacking

temps range from probably 85-75 at night I would imagine

Budget is hopefully under 175-200

thanks

Ty
Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #4

TyT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
Summer sleeping bag? I never knew that even existed. If it's going to be hot in the summer that thing better have A/C!
when I say "summer" sleeping bag I mean anything that isn't flannel or something that keeps you warm

Ty
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
$200 for a summer sleeping bag ? Wth . My winter one cost $39
Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
2013baja is a jewel in the rough2013baja is a jewel in the rough2013baja is a jewel in the rough

Name: Markus
2013baja's Tacoma Gallery
If you want the best, you can't beat Western Mountaineering. Just pick the temperature rating you're looking for. Keep in mind those rating err way on the cold side. I have a 30 degree bag that's good for 50 in reality.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Serious answer is a comfy queen size sheet folded in half and stitched together on the bottom and halfway up to the top. It's lightweight, and plenty warm enough for the temps you listed. Keeps the chill off in the predawn hours, and packs up small.

Cost $20 or less if you know someone who has a sewing machine and has a spare half hour.

Pair that with a good REI, Big Agnes or other good camping air mat and you are done.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyT View Post
I sleep warm and its for back country camping or backpacking

temps range from probably 85-75 at night I would imagine

Budget is hopefully under 175-200

thanks

Ty
you don't need a sleeping bag at that temperature! It's just extra weight at that point.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013baja View Post
If you want the best, you can't beat Western Mountaineering. Just pick the temperature rating you're looking for. Keep in mind those rating err way on the cold side. I have a 30 degree bag that's good for 50 in reality.
WM makes great gear, there's no doubt about that. But I don't agree that it can't be beat. There are a number of "cottage" companies that make arguably better stuff (lighter weight, custom made, etc; some are also cheaper!).
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

TyT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
you don't need a sleeping bag at that temperature! It's just extra weight at that point.
See that's what I was thinking ! but I wanted to be cozy and have no bugs bug me ! maybe just a light blanket will be good!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #11

TyT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Serious answer is a comfy queen size sheet folded in half and stitched together on the bottom and halfway up to the top. It's lightweight, and plenty warm enough for the temps you listed. Keeps the chill off in the predawn hours, and packs up small.

Cost $20 or less if you know someone who has a sewing machine and has a spare half hour.

Pair that with a good REI, Big Agnes or other good camping air mat and you are done.
That's a really good idea!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
fijdkred is on a distinguished road
fijdkred's Tacoma Gallery
Have a try.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
CreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement: SF
CreepyTm's Tacoma Gallery
The best I ever had was the Snugpak Jungle bag. Snugpak makes quite a few models but for hot hot weather this is the best, and it fits in your palm. I used the Junglepak on military missions in Columbia in the summer sleeping inside a C-130 sitting on the tarmac with no APU running and it was miserable. the bag was awesome. nuff said, Snugpak makes a good product.
http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/c...FUKd4AodUx8AHQ
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
I have an REI travel sack (http://www.rei.com/product/731835/re...5-sleeping-bag) that I use when I travel to places that have beds but no sheets (happens a lot actually!).... or for summer camping. If it's too warm, I just unzip the feet and usually get some pretty good air movement. It packs up pretty tiny too. Can fit it in my regular size backpack no problem
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i like this.

they make great packs. and it looks like they are getting into the sleeping bag biz.

http://www.eberlestock.com/Sleeping%20Bags.htm
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
12thmanhawkfan is on a distinguished road

Name: Robby
12thmanhawkfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have an REI travel sack (http://www.rei.com/product/731835/re...5-sleeping-bag) that I use when I travel to places that have beds but no sheets (happens a lot actually!).... or for summer camping. If it's too warm, I just unzip the feet and usually get some pretty good air movement. It packs up pretty tiny too. Can fit it in my regular size backpack no problem
X2 I have the same thing and I love it