Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park

Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park

Making a trip to Seattle for the 1st time from Spokane (new to the area). Where should I go, what should I do and where should I stay.

Im somewhat on a budget probably stay 2 days 1 night. Wanna see the water olympic pennisula space needle drive the taco on the beach maybe take a ferry??

I friend/local to WA said to take whites pass VS snoqualmie pass on I90.

Either before or after my trip to seattle Im checking out glacier nat'l park in MT.

Not sure what to do first but tell me where I need to go/stay. Also would like to camp maybe 1 night at both places? (Not too far out Ive never been around bears)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
So, the Olympic Coast is about 4.5 hours away from Seattle.

You can't drive on the beaches there. It's all National Park land.

You CAN take a ferry from Seattle to Bremerton, then drive around the peninsula to the coast. 45 minute ferry ride, and a 3+ hour drive. I did this a month ago.

There's lots of camping near the coast, though. I like Mora Campground near Rialto Beach. The campground is 2.5 miles from the beach, so you can get a good site, then just head on over and look at the sea stacks, etc. There's also RV/overnight camping right at the beach, too.

In Seattle, the Needle will cost you $27, and sometimes there's a wait. The Needle and Pike's Place Market are within walking distance of each other, but it's a good walk. But parking is a bitch, so it's better to park once and just hoof it.

Taking White Pass might save you some time since there is a TON of construction at Cle Elum. Or come over Hwy 2 through the North Cascades Highway for some REALLY pretty scenery. That's what I'd do.

There's a hostel in Belltown (downtown Seattle, in between the Needle and Market) which I think is pretty reasonable. Never stayed there, though.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Oh -- if you are only coming for 2 days, 1 night, I would either skip Seattle and head to the Olympic Coast, or skip the coast and stay in/around Seattle. You'll waste half a day getting out to the Coast.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

Its still a few weeks off. Do I buy the ferry ticket now or when I get there? As well as the space needle?

Is it possible to see 'just a little' of the olympic peninsula? and seattle? Im taking 6 days leave right now (hoping its approved) otherwise im stuck with 2 day weekend?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Master Shredder
xtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxtyfighterx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Juice
xtyfighterx's Tacoma Gallery
im in cda idaho about 30 mins from spokane! seattle is awsome pikes place market the EMP music music museum see a mariners game if you are a baseball guy on 1st ave is Italian family pizza eat there its the best pizze you can get! (if you like pizza) glacier is a awsome place to been there alot road to the sun is great to check out! have fun!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

Its still a few weeks off. Do I buy the ferry ticket now or when I get there? As well as the space needle?

Is it possible to see 'just a little' of the olympic peninsula? and seattle? Im taking 6 days leave right now (hoping its approved) otherwise im stuck with 2 day weekend?
You can buy a ticket in advance or day-of. Won't really matter. They're the same price.

It is possible to see some of it. It's all up to how you want to use your time. Like I said, it's pretty far out from Seattle. There is a place called Hurricane Ridge on the peninsula up by Port Angeles which is pretty cool, and not as far as the coast. It gives you a sweeping panorama of the Olympic Mountains and there's lots of wildlife up there.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
you can drive on the beaches at ocean shores.. http://www.osgov.com/
pretty awesome to get your cooler.. drive out on the beach and relax.

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr
I stay here.. https://ricksbeachhouses.com/chalet.html pretty cheap, sandy path to the beach.. and near town if you want to walk around or get food. you can stay here.. and then drive up the 101 to see the penensula, check out kalaouch beach, and ruby beach if you go up that direction.. worth seeing lake qunalt lodge on the way if you go..
In seattle, I would check out Alki Beach, and or Golden Gardens beach. Taking I90 wont be too bad, I do it all the time. just check the rock blasting schedule on the DOT website and time it right.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
Sido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shedSido is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sido's Tacoma Gallery
Glacier is probably my favorite NP. Went there a few years ago with a friend from Germany, it was amazing. Did a long road trip and passed through Spokane and N Idaho. Camped in a small campground just east of Saint Regis in Montana. You could probably make it all the way in one day from Spokane.

If you can spend more than a day there. Unless you get a backcountry permit you will be camping in the main campgrounds. I stayed at Sprague Creek and Many Glacier. Both were full so be sure you arrive around 10 am when people are leaving so you can snag a spot. All food/ coolers need to be locked in your truck or secured in on-site bear proof food lockers. Think there might be a shower at St. Mary.

Get out and hike. 99% of people drive around and never leave the road.

My most memorable hike was a big loop on the east side of the park. At the trailhead we ran into a young photographer who was smoking and telling us about all the dangers in the park. Then he warned us not to hike since we would be eaten by bears and never return...he took our picture in case he was the last one to see us alive.

The hike took us around a lake (can't remember which one), but it was eerie... Not a single person on the trail. It was flooded too, some parts of the trail were under water and some creeks were tough to get over (raging water, jumping from half submerged rock to rock).

On the way back we were in shrubland, thick bushes on all sides. About 30 feet in front of me I watched the bushes shake and a huge grizzly came up on the trail. It turned and looked at us. I have never in my life felt such a rush and flooding of all my senses, it was an ancient primal feeling. It would have been an awesome picture, but in the moment my thoughts were on self preservation. The bear looked at us for about 15 seconds (felt like forever!!) and left us along and went on its way along the hiking trail (same direction we were going). We waited there about 15 minutes and another bear came up on the trail at the same spot! It looked at us too and went along the hiker trail in the same direction. It was starting to get dark and we debated going all the way back the way we came or finishing the hike (it was a giant loop, we were 90% done, would take hours to go back). If we went ahead we would be in thick shrubland and wouldn't be able to see the bears if they were close. We waited another 30 minutes and decided to go ahead. A few minutes later we did run into both bears, they were on our right near the trail and were watching us.

This is when we ran into the bears the second time. The German took a quick picture. They were farther away and the zoom is kind of blurry, plus he was shaking with adrenaline. You can see the first bear in the middle of the picture. The second one is hard to see- it is directly to the left, behind the three trees, you can see a brown outline against the rock-

It happened so quick but I all remember was hearing a loud crack and the lead bear was running at us, we took off and ran as fast as we could. It never caught up to us, but in the short bursts the bears run they sound like thunder.

More park pics-

Montana sunset-

It is an amazing place, don't miss out!

Edited to finish my story and add pics
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #9

Went to the olympic peninsula asnd seattle very cool trip put 1500 miles on the taco and spent about 6 days camping out etc had a blast. Ddint make it to glacier maybe next summer
Attached Thumbnails
Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-440-2-.jpg   Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-047.jpg   Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-147.jpg   Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-424-2-.jpg   Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-638.jpg  

Old 08-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

more
Attached Thumbnails
Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-668.jpg   Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-189.jpg   Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-430-2-.jpg   Seattle WA/Glacier Nat'l Park-636.jpg  
Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Looks like you had a good time. Where did you stay in the peninsula? I think I see a Lake Crescent pic in there.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
wow great pics. I hope to see things like that someday!!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, looks like lake cresent to me too. got married there last year.. awesome place.
ruby beach too?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #14

Yes yes yes

Ruby beach I think lake crescent (big blue goreous) had an awesome time didnt wanna leave