1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hawaii - The Big Island...

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Tilt, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Oct 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    Tilt

Tilt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyle
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    In between Tacomas at the moment.
    I'll be off to Hawaii on the 26th of November. I'm going to the Big Island to be on the 'Support Team' for my best friend as he competes in the Ultra-Man World Championship Race. My first couple days will just be adjusting to the time and location - as well as our Team duties. Then the Race is over 3 days (on the weekend). After the Race, I basically have 4 days to do what I want.

My family is not joining me - so I'll be solo on this trip. I'll be with my best friend (and his family), as well as a few others. We're all staying in a rental house just north of Kailua Kona. I do not plan to spend a lot of money on this trip. So going all over the Island and being a tourist is not really in the plans. For my 4 days, I'd love to just explore a few areas - but mostly just get some serious beach time in.

I was wondering if anyone here can give me some tips or pointers on some "must sees" or a couple cool things to do while there. Again, I'm not interested in blasting a bunch of cash. And most importantly, which beaches are the best in the general area that I'm staying at?

2. Oct 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SPORT TACOMA / 21 LIMITED RAV4
    this and that...
    howzit! big island, to me is more of a retirement island lol. it doesnt have your hustle and bustle like other islands, like maui and oahu. but there are still your fair shar e of things to do, especially if youre not interested in spending a bunch of cash. since youre gona be in kona, thats considered the tourist side of the island. you will have your fair share of beaches, but the one beach that everyone likes to go to especially cause its not a rocky beach, is hapuna. its a little way outside of kona, probably 30 miles or so. you can also head up to the summit on mauna kea, if you feel like playing in the snow. we also have volcano national park,where you can see the rich history behind our island, and witness some live lava flows. thats free i believe. on the kohala side you have your zip lining adventure, that one does cost money, but i heard its worth its price of admission.

3. Oct 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The lava flowing into the ocean... after dark... was amazing. It was over 20 years ago when we went, and the island is still growing!

4. Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Tilt

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyle
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    OMG.........NO THANKS!!!!! hahahahahahaha

There's already snow on the ground here in Central Alberta. I hate snow with a passion - so I'll be doing everything possible to soak in the beauty weather.

But I really appreciate the tips. I'm going to check out the places you've described. Oh man....I can't wait!!!!

5. Nov 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM
    Tilt

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyle
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Ended up changing my trip just slightly. Got here on the 24th (last night) - and I'll be staying a day longer.

Wow......Hawaii is ALL it's cracked up to be so far!! After 1 day, I have some comments...

-I love the heat!! Back home it was miserable, with snow and crap. Here, it's sooooo beautiful!!
    -Holy Toyotas!! I've never seen so many Tacomas and 4Runners in one day, in my entire life. Seriously, there was one every 3rd or 4th vehicle. It was crazy - but I loved it!!
    -Motorcyclists here are on a death-wish. I just couldn't get over seeing people on bikes, with no helmets. Beyond crazy (in my opinion).

Man this place rocks!! I can't wait until tomorrow. So many new things to see!!

To Top