Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Planning a Road Trip (summer 2014) Suggestions needed

Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Planning a Road Trip (summer 2014) Suggestions needed

I am going to go ahead and start this thread, I(and maybe one lucky lady) plan on going on a road trip this summer and would like suggestions to some scenic,quality places to go.

I've been slowly collecting the tools i feel (RTT,Bestop,Lift,) will add creature comforts to my trip. I dont really have a timeline of how long i want to be gone, maybe a week or two? I hope to spend under 1,000$(everything prob not including gas) for the trip.

I heard Canada was nice around this time of the year, and there's plenty of sights to see going west.

Im located in South Carolina for reference.

Any suggestions, tips, ect are more than welcome here.

Thanks.

Cam.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

After some deliberation and input from some friends, I think i've set my sights on Canada.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know man. Seems a week is a little short for Canada. Banff is always a cool spot but, if it were me and I lived in SC and hadn't already done it I might look for something like this with only a week.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

I would think you cold use your RTT and there are some good options for side trips off the main route.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I hear North Carolina is nice. You can spend two weeks there squatch hunting. Just a thought.

I'd recommend Steamboat Springs, CO or Jackson, WY.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
I don't know man. Seems a week is a little short for Canada. Banff is always a cool spot but, if it were me and I lived in SC and hadn't already done it I might look for something like this with only a week.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

I would think you cold use your RTT and there are some good options for side trips off the main route.
Yeah i agree, im going to make several stops in NC,VA,MD,NY and finally stay in canada for a couple days, factor in that i have to drive back (2,000 mile round trip) and 7 days sounds really restricting. 14-16 days is sounding much better

I'll have to check that place out! thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
I hear North Carolina is nice. You can spend two weeks there squatch hunting. Just a thought.

NC is very nice, mountains are everywhere. haha. If i ever decide to go west (eventually in my lifetime) i'd def like to go to CO,WY,UT,AZ,and CA.

keep em coming fellas
Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
any suggestions for places to visit along the way?

I second DWreck on both suggestions. Loads of places to see around here, Linville Gorge, Grandfather Mtn., all kinds of places on the Parkway, etc. Also the New River Gorge in WV, and the Gali River have a shit ton of cool spots that would lend themselves well to a 1-2 week trek.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
AKA Crash Bandicoot

I'll have to check it out for a day i suppose,

Im planning on going from nc for a day or two, va for a day or two, md for a day, new york for two days, Hit canada for a 4-5 days and make the drive back in 2 days
Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
any suggestions for places to visit along the way?
Where ever you end up going post us some pics and give us a trip report! I'm all about the road trip and having some free time for the side trips. I've been wanting to drive up that side of the country for a while now...
Old 11-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
If you're stoppin here in good 'ol va I've gotta suggest Flagpole outside of Harrisonburg. It's not by any means a hard trek for the truck but there's some decent play grounds at the top of the mountain and leaving it dumps you onto 33 at the WV border where you can head north from (pretty nice views over the winding through the countryside).
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Where ever you end up going post us some pics and give us a trip report! I'm all about the road trip and having some free time for the side trips. I've been wanting to drive up that side of the country for a while now...
I will have meh camera and take photos to eventually post whenever i have wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
If you're stoppin here in good 'ol va I've gotta suggest Flagpole outside of Harrisonburg. It's not by any means a hard trek for the truck but there's some decent play grounds at the top of the mountain and leaving it dumps you onto 33 at the WV border where you can head north from (pretty nice views over the winding through the countryside).
Flagpole? Noted, i'll have to check it out.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Wyoming. My grandparents have a cabin in the north part in the big horn mountains. National forest galore up there
Old 11-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
Wyoming. My grandparents have a cabin in the north part in the big horn mountains. National forest galore up there
wayyyyyyyy off course haha
Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wayyyyyyyy off course haha
wooops didn't read the whole thread.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
wooops didn't read the whole thread.
no prob brother.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
stop by here man.

and i’d go out west before canada. (other than Niagara falls, but thats just because it’s close to my family in NY)
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
bicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud ofbicyclist has much to be proud of
bicyclist's Tacoma Gallery
Canada is a pretty big place. Can you narrow it down for us a bit? My wife is Canadian and I've been to the Great White North on more than one occasion. Might be able to help.

The first thing that you should know is that you'll need a passport to cross the border. If you don't have one, it's a good idea to apply for one now since they sometimes take awhile to shuffle the paperwork. You'll need to scrounge up a certified copy of your birth certificate. That's usually what takes some time.

Let the forum know what you have in mind in a little more detail and I'm sure you'll get lots of good info.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
stop by here man.

and iíd go out west before canada. (other than Niagara falls, but thats just because itís close to my family in NY)
Thats a little off track but if there's scenery thats where i will go. lol