Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Really? I heard it blows
Now you're talking about driving I-80 across WY. Where you have to hold your steering wheel at a 30-degree angle off-center just to keep going straight down the freeway!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Tour bus.

On the bright side, they didn't have enough time to screw up the more exotic and fragile features, and will likely never be back to Wyoming again.
Morons... No respect. I would have written every single one of them.

Love this thread! Sub'd
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #23
bigsky04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
bigsky04's Tacoma Gallery
I worked 3 summers during college up at Canyon Village in the cabins and absolutely loved every minute up there. We'd be working with people from all over the world and the connections and friendships made will last a lifetime. One of my most desired hike I want to attempt (still haven't gotten the chance yet) is to hike the fairyland basin. One of these days...

The Tetons are amazing for sure. Have you hiked middle or grand at all? I've done middle but haven't had the chance to do grand yet. It's on my list...

If you've been to Glacier N.P., this would definitely be on your travel thread's list too! Amazing places in WY and MT!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Jackson Hole, The Tetons, Yellowstone, etc all thru there is unreal!!!!

Been through there 4 times on my drive from Oregon to The Sturgis Rally.

Stayed at multiple diiferent places there and back and absolutely can NEVER get enough of it.

When I saw the TETONS for the 1st time I was like a deer in headlights. COULD NOT STOP STARING!!!!!

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING...............Gods country.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Love this thread, thanks Lisa. Look forward to more pics of this amazing region that I have yet to visit but will figure out a way to make it happen.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful pics...just sad its gonna blow one day.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
cosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shedcosmicfires is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
cosmicfires's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! My truck wants me to take it there.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I want to THANK YOU MTgirl's help & suggestions for our trip this past summer!!!

Our web hosting service finally fixed our photo gallery issue - I haven't been able to upload photos to it for over a year.

I'm uploading photos as I type.... Our vacation was only 5 days. We had two days of traveling & only 3 days to enjoy the area. It was short but ABSOLUTELY breathless!! You can take a short trip and be totally blown away by how beautiful it is!!! I'll post a trip report with pictures later today.
Can't wait to see the pics! So glad you guys had a good time, just make sure that your next visit is longer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Now you're talking about driving I-80 across WY. Where you have to hold your steering wheel at a 30-degree angle off-center just to keep going straight down the freeway!
I drove from MT to Denver once...in December...in a blizzard. Yeah. Never again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky04 View Post
I worked 3 summers during college up at Canyon Village in the cabins and absolutely loved every minute up there. We'd be working with people from all over the world and the connections and friendships made will last a lifetime. One of my most desired hike I want to attempt (still haven't gotten the chance yet) is to hike the fairyland basin. One of these days...

The Tetons are amazing for sure. Have you hiked middle or grand at all? I've done middle but haven't had the chance to do grand yet. It's on my list...

If you've been to Glacier N.P., this would definitely be on your travel thread's list too! Amazing places in WY and MT!
I wanted to work in the park but could never make it work with my schedule. That is my retirement plan though - work 5 months out of the year in the park and relax the rest of the time.

I have not climbed the mountains except for the Top of the World trail at the ski hill. That will wear you out quick...but you get a free ride down so its worth it. I like to stick a little closer to the valley floor. Going to have to start doing some overnight hikes to hit some of the trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPR View Post
Jackson Hole, The Tetons, Yellowstone, etc all thru there is unreal!!!!

Been through there 4 times on my drive from Oregon to The Sturgis Rally.

Stayed at multiple diiferent places there and back and absolutely can NEVER get enough of it.

When I saw the TETONS for the 1st time I was like a deer in headlights. COULD NOT STOP STARING!!!!!

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING...............Gods country.
I never get tired of it either
Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #29
DaVikes is on a distinguished road
DaVikes's Tacoma Gallery
You do know your way around a camera! Thanks for the pics and the insights. Hopefully will take my family up there in the next year or two.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #30
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thread Lisa!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Our Trip Report: July 8th-10th 2013
We only had 3 days to explore (outside of traveling days) - but well worth the trip and a damn good reason to go back someday!!

We stayed in Cody, Wy at a really nice Bed & Breakfast.
http://www.southforkbb.com/
This was our first experience at a Bed & Breakfast and we had the entire place to ourselves. We spent hours in the evenings drinking some cold local brews talking to the owner/caretaker about local cultures with pure western hospitality. He gave us some great suggestions of what to do and where to go. The only downfall.... No air conditioning but it was cooler at night, so it was easier to sleep (with windows open).

Day 1: We love to go geocaching. One of the biggest goals is to get at least one geocache in every state. Our first day - we took a road trip from Cody, WY up into Montana. Wow....some incredibly flat, open range with lots of beef roaming the hills. We passed several cattle ranches - I'd never seen soooo many steer/cattle in one place. A black carpet of steer as far as the eye could see. Incredible!!

Day 2: The quick tour of Yellowstone - and of course, you've gotta stop and see Old faithful. We took the East entrance and drove Grand Loop Rd. South to Old Faithful. Up to Madison and out the West entrance over to Wyoming. Then back in the West entrance, up to Norris Junction to Canyon Village back south to Fishing Bridge and out the East Entrance and back to Cody Wy.

Yellowstone was amazing....but our last day.....was almost as incredible - if not - more beautiful than Yellowstone itself!!!
Day 3: Chief Joseph Scenic Byway & Bear Tooth Highway. From Cody, drove up Rte 120North to Rte 296 North (Chief Joseph Scenic Byway) up to Rte 212 (Bear Tooth Highway) up to Red Lodge Montana and back down Rte 308 to Rte 72S to Rte 120 back to Cody. Absolutely breathtaking!! AND FUN TO DRIVE!!! ***** Take notice to the speed limit. There's no way in hell you can go that fast on these roads!!!

Considering I live at 300ft above sea level...this is a big deal. At our highest point, we were at 11,000 feet.

And this is my favorite picture of them all........ July 10th.... standing at almost 11,000 feet above sea level...IN THE SNOW!!

For the amount of time we had, we were left absolutely amazed and saw soooo many beautiful things in a short time. We will definitely go back!!

Oh...and Cody WY is a really neat little town. You can't forget about the Cody Nightly Rodeo. http://www.codynightrodeo.com/

We never visited the Gun Museum, but they drive a neat truck!!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Love this thread, thanks Lisa. Look forward to more pics of this amazing region that I have yet to visit but will figure out a way to make it happen.
Yelly is definitely a bucket list item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes09 View Post
Beautiful pics...just sad its gonna blow one day.
meh....I'm in the kill zone. I won't even know it happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfires View Post
Nice! My truck wants me to take it there.
There are some great areas for the trucks to play too! I'll get to those shortly. In my quest to get away from the tourists I've found some great out of the way areas to explore. Gonna need the Taco though, its not rental car friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVikes View Post
You do know your way around a camera! Thanks for the pics and the insights. Hopefully will take my family up there in the next year or two.
Thanks...kinda tough to get a bad shot in the parks though. Just point and shoot and you're bound to get something great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Awesome thread Lisa!
Thanks Josh.
Maybe I should get a TW meet going for the parks? I always see Corvettes, Miatas, Model T, and bike clubs having rallies down there so why not Tacos?
Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Love Cody Wyoming. I've stayed there 3 times. My cousin is at the Rodeo every night working and riding. And the Fireworks building had some fun stuff to take back home!!!

I'll never forget one August driving thru Yellowstone and it was 90 or so degrees. Drove up to Old Faithful and it was snowing. Everyone was in T-shirts and shorts

Good times.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #34
Racer X will become famous soon enough
Firefighter:
Racer X's Tacoma Gallery
I was out there at the end July. Beautiful area. Looks like I covered some of the are that MTgirl did. We hiked Paintbrush Canyon and Phelps Lake in the Tetons. I'd live to go back and spend a week hiking up there. Here are a few pictures:

Attached Thumbnails
MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-dsc_0105.jpg   MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-dsc_0063.jpg   MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-dsc_0665.jpg   MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-20130731_152511.jpg   MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-20130804_114155.jpg  

MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-dsc_0651.jpg   MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-dsc_0463.jpg  
Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #35
Bobcape is a splendid one to beholdBobcape is a splendid one to beholdBobcape is a splendid one to beholdBobcape is a splendid one to beholdBobcape is a splendid one to beholdBobcape is a splendid one to behold
Army:
Name: Bob
Bobcape's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread idea and content! Very valuable info for peeps planning a trip. I get to Jelly several times a year, but seem to pass on GT usually. Don't know why. Here's a few of mine.

Crap! Photobucket just kicked me out. I'll put up more later.

Bob
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #36
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Morons... No respect. I would have written every single one of them.

Love this thread! Sub'd
Absolutely. No idea why they only wrote the "leader", driver, and one other.

On the bright side, THEY won't likely be back.

Sad thing is, there were 5 more tour buses in the lot, and 100 more the next day, and the next.... each loaded with elderly who will enjoy the park, and foreign visitors who can't read the warning signs and don't understand what the catwalks are for.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Day 3: Chief Joseph Scenic Byway & Bear Tooth Highway. From Cody, drove up Rte 120North to Rte 296 North (Chief Joseph Scenic Byway) up to Rte 212 (Bear Tooth Highway) up to Red Lodge Montana and back down Rte 308 to Rte 72S to Rte 120 back to Cody.
Beartooth is awesome....

http://s350.photobucket.com/user/LCR...?sort=9&page=1

There's a few hundred pictures and 24 videos from my trip to Red Lodge in 2008.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #39

Quote:
What time of year were you there?

Nice picts!!!
We left LA on July 8.

We hit Red Lodge the week before the RL Harley run, which was a couple of weeks before Sturgis. This was a Beartooth Kawasaki forum get-together.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #40
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed!!!