Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #41
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I love Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Memorable moments from several visits:

1. The night before we entered the park to embark on a 4 day back country trip, we camped out in one of those super popular campgrounds just outside the park. My buddy and I decided to just sleep out under the stars on sleeping pads and in bags. In the morning, he's nudging me whisper, "wake the F up!" I open my eyes and about 3 feet from the end of my sleeping bag is an adult buffalo. I was completely frozen in awe, fear... my own poop. He/she was completely harmless and just scouring the campground for food/garbage.

2. Driving through the park one time in a huge wind storm. Driving through the huge burn area of '88 (?) and I could literally hear standing dead trees snapping in half from the wind and falling. At the climax of the intensity trees were snapping and blowing across the road all around me. How I didn't get destroyed by one/several, I have no idea.

3. On that same trip, on the main road that runs north/south... a bunch of yahoo tourists stopped and created a line of traffic probably a mile long. After awhile I just got out of my Bronco and sat on the tailgate... then I heard a woman claim, "look!!! baby bear cubs!" and proceed to walk up the hillside, with a group of others, to follow and get closer to the cubs. lol.

That back country trip though was absolutely epic.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #42
dilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud ofdilligaff82 has much to be proud of

Marines: VMA-223
dilligaff82's Tacoma Gallery
Great pictures! Can't wait to go there some day!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #44
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Subbed!!!
Welcome! I know you and your wife haven't spent as much time in the park as you'd like...hopefully we can change that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I love Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Memorable moments from several visits:

1. The night before we entered the park to embark on a 4 day back country trip, we camped out in one of those super popular campgrounds just outside the park. My buddy and I decided to just sleep out under the stars on sleeping pads and in bags. In the morning, he's nudging me whisper, "wake the F up!" I open my eyes and about 3 feet from the end of my sleeping bag is an adult buffalo. I was completely frozen in awe, fear... my own poop. He/she was completely harmless and just scouring the campground for food/garbage.

2. Driving through the park one time in a huge wind storm. Driving through the huge burn area of '88 (?) and I could literally hear standing dead trees snapping in half from the wind and falling. At the climax of the intensity trees were snapping and blowing across the road all around me. How I didn't get destroyed by one/several, I have no idea.

3. On that same trip, on the main road that runs north/south... a bunch of yahoo tourists stopped and created a line of traffic probably a mile long. After awhile I just got out of my Bronco and sat on the tailgate... then I heard a woman claim, "look!!! baby bear cubs!" and proceed to walk up the hillside, with a group of others, to follow and get closer to the cubs. lol.

That back country trip though was absolutely epic.
So your buffalo experience was probably a bit similar to my elk experience...the difference being that you could see the buffalo and I was all zipped up in my tent wondering WTF was out there stomping around my campsite!
Tourists are crazy...I can't think of a trip that I haven't seen someone do something incredibly stupid and dangerous.

So where all did you go on your BC trip? I want to spend more time in the SW corner of the park - Bechler Meadows and the Cascade Corner (on account of the numerous waterfalls in the area) in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaff82 View Post
Great pictures! Can't wait to go there some day!
Do it! You won't regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
yea..im from there..

all you be jealous..
No, you're from Powell.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #46
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Welcome! I know you and your wife haven't spent as much time in the park as you'd like...hopefully we can change that!
Hopefully!!

Considering that I only live about 3 hours from the west gate, it's pretty sad I have only gone there once and stayed for 3 days is all...
Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #47
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Hopefully!!

Considering that I only live about 3 hours from the west gate, it's pretty sad I have only gone there once and stayed for 3 days is all...
No shit?

As an adult, I've only spent a day rolling through with a biker group, but as a kid, we spent 2 weeks camping in a tent!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #48
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
No shit?

As an adult, I've only spent a day rolling through with a biker group, but as a kid, we spent 2 weeks camping in a tent!
That was mine and my Wife's mini-honeymoon right after our wedding.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #49
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So where all did you go on your BC trip? I want to spend more time in the SW corner of the park - Bechler Meadows and the Cascade Corner (on account of the numerous waterfalls in the area) in particular.
We were going to do Belcher Meadows, etc but couldn't get the permit.

We ended up doing Heart Lake and that loop along the river. Maybe the Snake River?

It was gorgeous. (obviously)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #52
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Sounds pricey..haha

I know Wy has room too Craig..lots..of room..to park..haha
Monte, the $$ spent to ship out the Taco and fly out is worth the extra couple days of Vacation I'll get to enjoy.
I could ship it to your place too I suppose.... Got an airport nearby?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #53
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
We were going to do Belcher Meadows, etc but couldn't get the permit.

We ended up doing Heart Lake and that loop along the river. Maybe the Snake River?

It was gorgeous. (obviously)
Well sorry you didn't get to go on your first choice of trip but I'm glad to hear you still made the best of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post

so jealous sometimes Lisa...

How about in 2014 I get my truck shipped to Bozeman and you keep it for me at your house? I'll fly out and that will save me +two days of driving...

wadaya say?
Can I drives the ugly truck?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #56

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Manual Trans...
I can drive a manual...might be a tad bit rusty though.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #58

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We'll need to start planning in March - but you already knew that.
Yup! Still trying to figure out where the "HomerMeet 2.0" will take place. But we'll save that for another thread on another day.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #59
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can drive a manual...might be a tad bit rusty though.
I was hoping that would be the answer.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #60
C2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 313th MI BN, 82nd Airborne
Name: Richard
C2T's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread Lisa. Very nice!!