Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #141
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Current weekend weather forecast: mid 60's, sunny, and 10% chance of rain.
Sounds like a pretty good opening for the summer season in Yelly
Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #142
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Looks like a nice, sunny morning in Yelly today...this is from Mt Washburn @ ~10k feet
On top of the world!!! Amazing, Lisa!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #143
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
On top of the world!!! Amazing, Lisa!
Yep, the view from MT Washburn is amazing. Haven't been up there in a few years, maybe I'll have to change that. ALWAYS windy though!
I can't seem to just hyper link to a single cam so here's the whole park webcam page, Mt Washburn is at the bottom

http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm
Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #144
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I like the pic of the elk from your tent. amazing experience I bet!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #145

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
I like the pic of the elk from your tent. amazing experience I bet!
It was...and I was definitely glad to be up in my RTT and not in a ground tent! They could've stepped on me!
Its even cooler in the fall during rut when the bulls bugle all night long. I was there in October and could pick out 6 distinct calls from different bulls.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #146

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery

------------------------------------------------------------------
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK NEWS RELEASE

Roads from West Yellowstone and Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful and Canyon Open Friday
For the first time since fall, visitors to Yellowstone National Park will be able to drive to see Old Faithful and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone starting Friday morning, April 18. The road segments from West Yellowstone and Mammoth Hot Springs to these popular visitor destinations open for the season at 8:00 a.m.
Each spring, Yellowstone National Park plow crews clear snow and ice from 198 miles of main road, 124 miles of secondary roads and 125 acres of parking lots inside the park as well as 31 miles of the Beartooth Highway outside the park’s Northeast Entrance to prepare for the summer season.
Additional road segments in the park will open during May as road clearing operations progress. Yellowstone’s East Entrance is scheduled to open to travel on Friday, May 2. The park’s South Entrance is set to open to the public on Friday, May 9. The road from the park’s North Entrance at Gardiner, Mont., through Mammoth Hot Springs to the Northeast Entrance, Silver Gate and Cooke City, Mont., is open all year. The road east of Cooke City to WY-296 typically opens by mid-May. Crews from the National Park Service and the Montana Department of Transportation strive to open US-212 over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, Mont., in time for the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
As an added incentive for spring visitors, park entrance fees will be waived April 19 and 20 to kick off National Park Week. A seven-day pass to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks is normally $25 for a private, non-commercial vehicle.
Visitors should be aware that spring in Yellowstone is very unpredictable and often brings cold temperatures, high winds and falling snow. Even cleared sections of roads can be narrow and covered with a layer of snow, ice and debris. Visitors should use extreme caution when driving as road clearing operations can be ongoing at any time throughout the park. In the case of extreme weather conditions, temporary road closures are also possible with little or no advance warning.
Due to the snow present in the park’s interior, walking on trails or on boardwalks through thermal areas may also be difficult or impossible for some time. Bears have emerged from hibernation in the Greater Yellowstone Area and are on the hunt for food. If you plan to hike, ski or snowshoe in the park you are advised to stay in groups of three of more, make noise on the trail and carry bear spray. Yellowstone regulations require visitors to stay 100 yards from black and grizzly bears at all times. The best defense is to stay a safe distance from bears and use binoculars, a telescope or telephoto lens to get a closer look.
Very limited visitor services will be available during the next several weeks. For updated information, go to http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/index.htm or consult the park newspaper you receive at the entrance station.
Construction is underway north of the entrance to the Norris Campground on the road to Mammoth Hot Springs. A 5.4 mile section of the road is being rebuilt, as is the bridge over the Gardner River. Visitors should expect daytime delays of up to 30 minutes, with nightly closures between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. beginning June 1. This section of road will be closed to all traffic from 11:00 p.m. September 14, to 7:00 a.m. on September 30.
Work will also begin this year to replace the Isa Lake Bridge, which is on the road between Old Faithful and West Thumb Junction. This section of road will close to through travel for the season at 6:00 a.m. on September 2.
Details on both of these projects and updated Yellowstone National Park road information is available 24 hours a day by calling 307-344-2117, or on the Web at http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:23 AM   #147
classic42 is on a distinguished road

classic42's Tacoma Gallery
Enjoy your weekend!

Pics please.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #149
Big Member
BigBenOC is a splendid one to beholdBigBenOC is a splendid one to beholdBigBenOC is a splendid one to beholdBigBenOC is a splendid one to beholdBigBenOC is a splendid one to beholdBigBenOC is a splendid one to beholdBigBenOC is a splendid one to beholdBigBenOC is a splendid one to behold
Name: Benjamin
BigBenOC's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd, this looks like a great trip that I will look into for early fall this year. Thanks much for this great information! Questions may be coming...
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #150
AZrunner11 is on a distinguished road

AZrunner11's Tacoma Gallery
Headed to Grand Tetons and Glacier this August

Can't wait to see some Northern Lights at Glacier and the Grand Tetons. Went to Glacier too early in the summer and the snow had the park on lock down. I loved Yellowstone and missed the Grand Tetons....not this year. Are there any backcountry 4x4 trails in either the Grand Tetons or Glacier like in the Canyonlands NP in Utah?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #151
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
It's about that time for me to burn some "use or loose" leave... and make the road trip Northwest.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #152

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Put the poppycorn away already! Sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenOC View Post
sub'd, this looks like a great trip that I will look into for early fall this year. Thanks much for this great information! Questions may be coming...
Ready for questions....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrunner11 View Post
Can't wait to see some Northern Lights at Glacier and the Grand Tetons. Went to Glacier too early in the summer and the snow had the park on lock down. I loved Yellowstone and missed the Grand Tetons....not this year. Are there any backcountry 4x4 trails in either the Grand Tetons or Glacier like in the Canyonlands NP in Utah?
no offroading IN the parks but there are lots of forest service roads near the parks that you could explore. I guess maybe you could consider River Road in Grand Teton a trail...it hasn't seen any maintenance in years and is getting pretty rough. It is just an alternate route closer to the Snake River from near the Taggert Lake trailhead to Signal Mountain. Its on the park map you'll receive at the gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
It's about that time for me to burn some "use or loose" leave... and make the road trip Northwest.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #153

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Also...just got back from my first official trip of the season. It was equally awesome and disappointing. Camp was great, got one of the last spots at Mammoth (only camp open this time of year), and slept like a baby last night. Saw a total of seven moose the whole trip. Lots of buffalo, elk, marmots, yada yada. Thought I was going to see a battle between two sand hill cranes and a coyote. TONS of snow in the park still which is great, last couple of years have been a little dry. A lot of trails are closed due to bear activity right now including almost the whole Old Faithful area I hauled ass today to get down there so I'd have plenty of time to explore the whole geyser basin and then I find out that everything is closed. I was so disappointed. Also I'm just plain pissed off at what slobs people are...trash everywhere. I was in Norris Geyser Basin, walked the whole thing all 2 miles, and there was garbage all over the place. Frozen in the snow, in the pools, in the mud. Gum wrappers, cigarette packages, zip loc baggies...freaking people
Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #154
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Put the poppycorn away already! Sheesh!

Ready for questions....
I'll put away me poppycorn when you post more pics.

I have a question. When are you gonna post more pics?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #155
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK NEWS RELEASE

Roads from West Yellowstone and Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful and Canyon Open Friday
For the first time since fall, visitors to Yellowstone National Park will be able to drive to see Old Faithful and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone starting Friday morning, April 18. The road segments from West Yellowstone and Mammoth Hot Springs to these popular visitor destinations open for the season at 8:00 a.m.
Each spring, Yellowstone National Park plow crews clear snow and ice from 198 miles of main road, 124 miles of secondary roads and 125 acres of parking lots inside the park as well as 31 miles of the Beartooth Highway outside the park’s Northeast Entrance to prepare for the summer season.
Additional road segments in the park will open during May as road clearing operations progress. Yellowstone’s East Entrance is scheduled to open to travel on Friday, May 2. The park’s South Entrance is set to open to the public on Friday, May 9. The road from the park’s North Entrance at Gardiner, Mont., through Mammoth Hot Springs to the Northeast Entrance, Silver Gate and Cooke City, Mont., is open all year. The road east of Cooke City to WY-296 typically opens by mid-May. Crews from the National Park Service and the Montana Department of Transportation strive to open US-212 over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, Mont., in time for the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
As an added incentive for spring visitors, park entrance fees will be waived April 19 and 20 to kick off National Park Week. A seven-day pass to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks is normally $25 for a private, non-commercial vehicle.
Visitors should be aware that spring in Yellowstone is very unpredictable and often brings cold temperatures, high winds and falling snow. Even cleared sections of roads can be narrow and covered with a layer of snow, ice and debris. Visitors should use extreme caution when driving as road clearing operations can be ongoing at any time throughout the park. In the case of extreme weather conditions, temporary road closures are also possible with little or no advance warning.
Due to the snow present in the park’s interior, walking on trails or on boardwalks through thermal areas may also be difficult or impossible for some time. Bears have emerged from hibernation in the Greater Yellowstone Area and are on the hunt for food. If you plan to hike, ski or snowshoe in the park you are advised to stay in groups of three of more, make noise on the trail and carry bear spray. Yellowstone regulations require visitors to stay 100 yards from black and grizzly bears at all times. The best defense is to stay a safe distance from bears and use binoculars, a telescope or telephoto lens to get a closer look.
Very limited visitor services will be available during the next several weeks. For updated information, go to http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/index.htm or consult the park newspaper you receive at the entrance station.
Construction is underway north of the entrance to the Norris Campground on the road to Mammoth Hot Springs. A 5.4 mile section of the road is being rebuilt, as is the bridge over the Gardner River. Visitors should expect daytime delays of up to 30 minutes, with nightly closures between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. beginning June 1. This section of road will be closed to all traffic from 11:00 p.m. September 14, to 7:00 a.m. on September 30.
Work will also begin this year to replace the Isa Lake Bridge, which is on the road between Old Faithful and West Thumb Junction. This section of road will close to through travel for the season at 6:00 a.m. on September 2.
Details on both of these projects and updated Yellowstone National Park road information is available 24 hours a day by calling 307-344-2117, or on the Web at http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm.
Quote:
Also...just got back from my first official trip of the season. It was equally awesome and disappointing. Camp was great, got one of the last spots at Mammoth (only camp open this time of year), and slept like a baby last night. Saw a total of seven moose the whole trip. Lots of buffalo, elk, marmots, yada yada. Thought I was going to see a battle between two sand hill cranes and a coyote. TONS of snow in the park still which is great, last couple of years have been a little dry. A lot of trails are closed due to bear activity right now including almost the whole Old Faithful area I hauled ass today to get down there so I'd have plenty of time to explore the whole geyser basin and then I find out that everything is closed. I was so disappointed. Also I'm just plain pissed off at what slobs people are...trash everywhere. I was in Norris Geyser Basin, walked the whole thing all 2 miles, and there was garbage all over the place. Frozen in the snow, in the pools, in the mud. Gum wrappers, cigarette packages, zip loc baggies...freaking people
Lots of words.

What I get from this is they should deputize you to shoot people in the face.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #156
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Lots of words.

Seconded ... Now, lead or Bear Mace?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #157

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Lots of words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Seconded ... Now, lead or Bear Mace?
I was thinking cattle prod but yes, I wish there was more I could do to correct the situation. Maybe educating my fellow TW'ers about the park is the first step!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #158
spencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspencer44306 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Spencer
spencer44306's Tacoma Gallery
driving cross country from New York to Seattle...I CANNOT wait to go through Montana and Yellow Stone!!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #159

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Porcelain Basin, Norris
This whole area has tons of little steam vents and water spouts, everything bubbling and boiling and hissing makes up quite a symphony

Lower Falls, Canyon
The falls are 308' so I'm going to guess that the iceberg on the left side is around 150' tall

And did I mention that there's a ton of snow this year? The boardwalks are usually a little treacherous this time of year as they don't shovel/plow the snow off and just let it melt naturally. The bad thing is is that the snow will melt from the underside too if there is enough heat radiating from the ground. That means you could just be walking along on what appears to be 4' deep solid snow but its actually a very thin snow bridge and you fall through. Lots of downed trees on the trails too.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #160
Chief Pal Guy

MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice pics! Thank you Weesa.