Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #162
classic42 is on a distinguished road

classic42's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pics! Glad you had a great weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Lots of words.

What I get from this is they should deputize you to shoot people in the face.

Agree. That crap pisses me off too.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #163
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
turn up the volume and watch the video, you can hear the grizzly's claws clicking on the pavement
actually, for just waking up he looks pretty fat and healthy

http://www.kbzk.com/news/kbzk-news-t...national-park/
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #164
surfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura aboutsurfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura aboutsurfnmoto2 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Lee
surfnmoto2's Tacoma Gallery
^^ He does look well fed, must have a bear cave full of tourist snacks.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #165
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnmoto2 View Post
^^ He does look well fed, must have a bear cave full of tourist snacks.
Nothing left now but a pile of cameras, tacky souvenir t shirts and sunglasses...
Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #166
Addicted to my DSLR
madisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Officer
madisonsfinest's Tacoma Gallery
Going in August. Thanks for starting this!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #167

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Just in care anyone was wondering....no quadcopters/drones allowed in the parks. I was kinda curious about how the parks would deal with them - especially in Yellowstone since you could potentially crash in one of the thermal pools and not be able to retrieve it. Harassing the animals would be a concern too.

"And it's not just Yosemite. The buzzing aerial machines...aren't welcome at any of the 58 national parks."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/05/tech/i...html?hpt=tr_c2
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #168
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Just in care anyone was wondering....no quadcopters/drones allowed in the parks. I was kinda curious about how the parks would deal with them - especially in Yellowstone since you could potentially crash in one of the thermal pools and not be able to retrieve it. Harassing the animals would be a concern too.

"And it's not just Yosemite. The buzzing aerial machines...aren't welcome at any of the 58 national parks."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/05/tech/i...html?hpt=tr_c2
Yeah, just heard this on NPR today. People are so fucking self-absorbed today.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #169

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, just heard this on NPR today. People are so fucking self-absorbed today.
I do think its a good thing to ban them all together because people are stupid and would do dumb things with them - like I said before about crashing into the thermal features, harassing the animals. Makes me a little sad though too because I had thought about getting one to get a bird's eye view of the park. I just wasn't sure how they fell into the existing rules. Right now I can go to the park, take as many still pictures as I want and sell them for profit as long as I don't destroy or disturb the environment in the process or use props, actors, etc. Videos have different guidelines as do still photos with props, etc and they require special permits for that. I figured the quads would fall under the special permit category.

Some people got to do it! Not fair!

http://youtu.be/P315f7_rb-w
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #170
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Guess they were IBTL. Sorry Weesa.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #171
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do think its a good thing to ban them all together because people are stupid and would do dumb things with them - like I said before about crashing into the thermal features, harassing the animals. Makes me a little sad though too because I had thought about getting one to get a bird's eye view of the park. I just wasn't sure how they fell into the existing rules. Right now I can go to the park, take as many still pictures as I want and sell them for profit as long as I don't destroy or disturb the environment in the process or use props, actors, etc. Videos have different guidelines as do still photos with props, etc and they require special permits for that. I figured the quads would fall under the special permit category.

http://youtu.be/P315f7_rb-w
Yeah, I think I'll bring a gas-powered leaf blower to clean out my camp site...
Old 05-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #172
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I think I'll bring a gas-powered leaf blower to clean out my camp site...
You do have a way of putting things in perspective. Well played.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #174

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #175

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
SO when I went to Yelly in April I was disappointed to find out that the boardwalk on geyser hill behind old faithful was closed down due to bear activity. i thought they were just being paranoid because old faithful is usually a pretty busy place and you don't see a lot of bears there.
well this weekend i made sure to make time to walk geyser hill and make up for not seeing it in april. at the furthest point away from the visitor center there was the remnants of a bison and a few tracks from some recent visitors, guess they weren't being paranoid in after all!
Attached Thumbnails
MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-_mg_9310.jpg   MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-_mg_9313.jpg  
Old 06-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #176
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Trachito's Tacoma Gallery
excellent thread. I'll be making a trip one day to that park via motorcycle. Saving this thread for references.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #177
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

some epic pics going on in here
Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #178

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Beware of the trees

-----------------------------------------------------------------
YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK NEWS RELEASE
------------------------------------------------------------------
Yellowstone Visitor Killed By Falling Tree
An international visitor to Yellowstone National Park died Monday afternoon after being struck by a falling tree.
The 36-year old man was from Taiwan, the Republic of China. He was part of a group that was hiking the Fairy Falls trail, which is north of the Old Faithful area and west of the Grand Loop Road.
The man left the trail and ascended a nearby tree-covered slope in an apparent attempt to get a better view of Grand Prismatic Spring, when a lodgepole pine tree fell and struck him in the head.
Other visitors who witnessed the incident made their way back to the trailhead, where they encountered two park maintenance employees working in the area, who relayed the information to Yellowstone law enforcement rangers.
The victim was moved by rangers to the trailhead to await helicopter transport to a medical facility, but after attempts to revive him failed, he was declared dead at the scene.
Yellowstone rangers who responded reported windy weather conditions in the area at the time, and that the fallen tree had been a standing, dead lodgepole, fire-killed during the park’s 1988 fires.
The victim’s name is being withheld pending notification of family members.
The incident remains under investigation by the National Park Service.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #179

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachito View Post
excellent thread. I'll be making a trip one day to that park via motorcycle. Saving this thread for references.
Hope your defensive driving skills are top notch! Never know when the RV/car in front of you is going to stop dead in the middle of the road and 12 tourists pile out, leaving the doors open, so that they can take a picture of a buffalo 800 yards away.
Seeing the park on a bike would be cool but I'd be a nervous wreck - too many distractions for the other drivers. Traveling with a group may be wiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtacosurfer View Post
some epic pics going on in here
Tis impossible to get a bad photo in the park
Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #180

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Once word of a unique photo-op gets around people flock to the spot. These folks had been camped out all morning, some more than one morning, just to get a shot of some coyote pups - the den is under the cabin on the left. BTW estimates on the photo gear on display is probably around $250k
Attached Thumbnails
MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-_mg_9644.jpg   MTgirl's Yellowstone and Grand Teton travel thread-_mg_9649.jpg