Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

My First Road Trip - Tips and Pointers

Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #21
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
I'll second the driver fatigue. Almost lost one car by trying to push through the heavy eye lids. Best piece of advice is to pull over and take a 15-minute nap. Does a world of wonder to keep the droopy eyes away.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
Idk if yall are into camping or not but I recommend not using hotels. Just drive until you start to get tired then find some public ground to go to near the interstate. You meet lots of great people that way and get to see some truly beautiful places. Last time I took a road trip I did that and literally rolled my sleeping bag under the truck and racked out. I met a guy that night who was a retired marine and when he saw my sticker invited me over to his fire and we drank beer all night. Got to hear some really cool stories from his time.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #23
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
Idk if yall are into camping or not but I recommend not using hotels. Just drive until you start to get tired then find some public ground to go to near the interstate. You meet lots of great people that way and get to see some truly beautiful places. Last time I took a road trip I did that and literally rolled my sleeping bag under the truck and racked out. I met a guy that night who was a retired marine and when he saw my sticker invited me over to his fire and we drank beer all night. Got to hear some really cool stories from his time.
This.

There is an app called Campwhere. It will give you every public, state and federal campground in your vicinity. I used it on my last trip from NY to CA. Stayed in my tent every night, it was awesome.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #24
keylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
keylay's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a fun trip. Are you bringing a tent or staying at hotel/motel exclusively? If so, a decent place (clean) for two people is $70-120/ night, right? Add that over the course of 11 days and thats around $700. Get a RTT and stay in that and then you have a sweet tent from then on out?.?.

More up front, but you'll catch the savings on the back side.

I've never driven cross country, but have done Houston, Texas to Colorado several times.
Things i normally do:
- drive during the day
- fill up with gas when cheap
- eat at least one decent full meal at breakfast or dinner to keep me energized
- bring snacks and drinks
- good music and lots of it
- a good route
- go the speed limit
- take pictures