Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Winter exploration destination ideas

Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Winter exploration destination ideas

Hey guys, I'm feeling a little stir crazy and want to check out some new places and do some exploring.

I'm thinking of visiting a national park, say Banff or Yellowstone or Glacier. I've never been to any of those places. Looking within reasonable driving distance to the Seattle area. It'll likely be just me and possibly one of my brothers, but only one vehicle. Probably looking at 4-5 days of camping and exploring.

I've done plenty of backpacking and camping in my day, but have stuck mainly to the West coast and fairly local areas. Looking to broaden my horizons!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Warnings?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Bump! Any thoughts or hints?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
humrick is on a distinguished road
Air Force: USAFA
humrick's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you check the state/region road conditions. Here in Colorado, many of the high country roads or locations are closed after real snow comes in. (Trail Ridge in Rocky Mtn National park, Independence Pass) Many of the campgrounds are closed, etc. Of course, the winter survival gear you should take is key as well, just in case.
I would recommend staying in an improved hotel location and then do day trips.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #5

Firefighter:
thanks! yeah, my plan has evolved to heading down to my college roommate's place down in bend, oregon at the end of january and doing day-trip explorations using his place as a home-base. he and his wife just recently picked up a 2014 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4 and he's been bitten by the Tacoma bug as well. should be a good trip!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
humrick is on a distinguished road
Air Force: USAFA
humrick's Tacoma Gallery
That is great to travel with someone else. (bring tow straps and perhaps a winch). remember the credo of the 4WD'ers. The greatest value of a 4WD is that it allows you to get stuck further from help.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Firefighter:
just installed a winch about a month ago and have a hi-lift and a plethora of straps. these are both of our daily drivers so we won't be going too crazy, but we plan on checking out:

Crater Lake area
Fort Rock Basin area
Ochoco National Forest
...and maybe a few other areas

I'm trying to get my youngest brother to come along with -- he's a cinematography major and pretty killer photographer -- to document the trip.