1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter exploration destination ideas

Discussion in 'Travel' started by davidpick, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Dec 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    davidpick

davidpick [OP] NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    Hey guys, I'm feeling a little stir crazy and want to check out some new places and do some exploring.

I'm thinking of visiting a national park, say Banff or Yellowstone or Glacier. I've never been to any of those places. Looking within reasonable driving distance to the Seattle area. It'll likely be just me and possibly one of my brothers, but only one vehicle. Probably looking at 4-5 days of camping and exploring.

I've done plenty of backpacking and camping in my day, but have stuck mainly to the West coast and fairly local areas. Looking to broaden my horizons!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Warnings?

2. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    davidpick

davidpick [OP] NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Bump! Any thoughts or hints?

3. Dec 7, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I wanna go to Mt. Rushmore

4. Dec 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    humrick

humrick Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma
    Make sure you check the state/region road conditions. Here in Colorado, many of the high country roads or locations are closed after real snow comes in. (Trail Ridge in Rocky Mtn National park, Independence Pass) Many of the campgrounds are closed, etc. Of course, the winter survival gear you should take is key as well, just in case.
    I would recommend staying in an improved hotel location and then do day trips.

5. Dec 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    davidpick

davidpick [OP] NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    thanks! yeah, my plan has evolved to heading down to my college roommate's place down in bend, oregon at the end of january and doing day-trip explorations using his place as a home-base. he and his wife just recently picked up a 2014 Tacoma DCLB Sport 4x4 and he's been bitten by the Tacoma bug as well. should be a good trip!

6. Dec 18, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    humrick

humrick Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma
    That is great to travel with someone else. (bring tow straps and perhaps a winch). remember the credo of the 4WD'ers. The greatest value of a 4WD is that it allows you to get stuck further from help.

7. Dec 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    davidpick

davidpick [OP] NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    just installed a winch about a month ago and have a hi-lift and a plethora of straps. these are both of our daily drivers so we won't be going too crazy, but we plan on checking out:

Crater Lake area
    Fort Rock Basin area
    Ochoco National Forest
    ...and maybe a few other areas

I'm trying to get my youngest brother to come along with -- he's a cinematography major and pretty killer photographer -- to document the trip.

To Top