Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

**Chamyota's Official Travel Thread:The Trip to Canada And Back**

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #22
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
One queen size might be kind of expensive. I got my stoic on sale for about $40, and the thermarest was a gift(from the TW santa 2012). For car camping get a heavy thick one. I use mine for backpacking so the lighter the better. And mine folds up to slightly larger than a nalgene bottle, and weighs less than a pound.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...3ATherm-A-Rest
This, I have 4 different pads, they all do their jobs well. oh and
Old 03-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #23
TRD Overland
gathaway is a splendid one to beholdgathaway is a splendid one to beholdgathaway is a splendid one to beholdgathaway is a splendid one to beholdgathaway is a splendid one to beholdgathaway is a splendid one to beholdgathaway is a splendid one to beholdgathaway is a splendid one to behold

Army:
gathaway's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd as I'll be leaving from nc sometime in july for Canada. Hong to get done ideas bc I have no clue where I want to go yet.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #24
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gathaway View Post
Sub'd as I'll be leaving from nc sometime in july for Canada. Hong to get done ideas bc I have no clue where I want to go yet.
You guys should plan it out! You are both leaving around the same time. Pretty close to each other too.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #25
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gathaway View Post

Get a passport
Old 03-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #26
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
No need for a sleeping pad like a Thermarest. You have a RTT with a mattress already in it. Get an anti-condensation matt to go under your mattress and it will give that layer of air and keep your mattress dry....unless you wet the bed.

I suggest a few more action packers. I know your stuff is pretty protected from the elements either inside the truck or under the soft top but putting as much as you can inside containers will keep prying eyes from getting a clear look at what you might have. If they can see stuff, even in duffle bags thieves will go after it. Especially when a soft top only takes seconds to cut and grab stuff out of. Action Packers won't stop them if they want stuff but it at least keeps things a bit more out of view and can make it less tempting. Face it, your truck will draw some attention. People will stop and check it out and you don't want to have anything catch their eye that would make them want to kife it.

As for showers. Truck stops are fine, but they're not for me. I'd rather shower a whole lot of places before a truck stop. Here's another option....
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/helton.html

Have you thought about getting a fridge? It will change what you're able to do with food. Mountain House packs or MRE's etc are gonna get old. Being able to pack some "real" food and prepare it can make a huge difference. Sure you can buy it where you are, but that's a pain. Honestly for trips like these, my fridge has been the one item that I'm glad I have more than anything else.

Spot Device or APRS signal? I don't know how often you're going to be out on your own in remote areas, but if you are and you don't have cell coverage I think you definitely want some way to contact emergency services or friends/family if you are somehow hurt or your truck breaks down and you can't get yourself out.

But none of those things are requirements for a good time. They can make it much more comfortable but aren't MUST HAVE items.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #27
www.sos-offroadconcepts.com
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
^ always on point
Old 03-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #28
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A thin layer of air under your sleeping bag is just as important as your bag when it comes to staying warm. Get a self inflating air pad, I have a thermarest and a stoic. They are well worth the money.
Sorry...but you are wrong. Having air between you will act as a "radiator" and you'll lose body heat. A closed cell foam pad is best, and you can even get them with foil reflectors so it'll retain the body heat you've lost. (Think of overpasses, they freeze before the road because of no insulation below and air movement...)

If you insist on an inflatable ground pad, check out Nemo Equipment's Cosmo pad.
http://www.nemoequipment.com/product...illowtop+1P+SE
Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #29
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
No need for a sleeping pad like a Thermarest. You have a RTT with a mattress already in it. Get an anti-condensation matt to go under your mattress and it will give that layer of air and keep your mattress dry....unless you wet the bed.

I suggest a few more action packers. I know your stuff is pretty protected from the elements either inside the truck or under the soft top but putting as much as you can inside containers will keep prying eyes from getting a clear look at what you might have. If they can see stuff, even in duffle bags thieves will go after it. Especially when a soft top only takes seconds to cut and grab stuff out of. Action Packers won't stop them if they want stuff but it at least keeps things a bit more out of view and can make it less tempting. Face it, your truck will draw some attention. People will stop and check it out and you don't want to have anything catch their eye that would make them want to kife it.

As for showers. Truck stops are fine, but they're not for me. I'd rather shower a whole lot of places before a truck stop. Here's another option....

Have you thought about getting a fridge? It will change what you're able to do with food. Mountain House packs or MRE's etc are gonna get old. Being able to pack some "real" food and prepare it can make a huge difference. Sure you can buy it where you are, but that's a pain. Honestly for trips like these, my fridge has been the one item that I'm glad I have more than anything else.

Spot Device or APRS signal? I don't know how often you're going to be out on your own in remote areas, but if you are and you don't have cell coverage I think you definitely want some way to contact emergency services or friends/family if you are somehow hurt or your truck breaks down and you can't get yourself out.

But none of those things are requirements for a good time. They can make it much more comfortable but aren't MUST HAVE items.
This I didnt know. Scrap the inflatable pad for sure!!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #30
www.sos-offroadconcepts.com
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Dont worry about the cold. Wait till a deployment when you sleep with a poncho in the rain at 15*
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #31
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyRRT View Post
Dont worry about the cold. Wait till a deployment when you sleep with a poncho in the rain at 15*
Oh, Cham froze his ass off in harrisonburg at the Steven Yota meet. Bet he learned his lesson !!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #32
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
Sorry...but you are wrong. Having air between you will act as a "radiator" and you'll lose body heat. A closed cell foam pad is best, and you can even get them with foil reflectors so it'll retain the body heat you've lost. (Think of overpasses, they freeze before the road because of no insulation below and air movement...)

If you insist on an inflatable ground pad, check out Nemo Equipment's Cosmo pad.
http://www.nemoequipment.com/product...illowtop+1P+SE
Oh ok.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #33
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha on deployments I just took the light bag and a bunch of hand warmers. Was cozy in the snow.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #34
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Just got out of the gym. When I get back to a comp I'll respond. Keep the ideas flowing fellas. I'm learning with every post
Old 03-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #35
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Yes sir, my wife and I will be going. I bought tickets today. I'm not sure if we will ride up Friday or Saturday though. It's a 6 hour haul from here. I have some time to figure it out though.

I'm pretty interested in how your trip goes. My wife and I have discussed heading out to the Grand Canyon at some point in the future.
Sweet, Ajohnson(andy) will be there as well! we can tailgate before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTaco View Post
Dont stress it. This is a trip after all ha .

For showers just bring a rag, water and some soap for deep cleans. Baby wipes for the days in between. Who cares if you stink . I am sure a TW member will offer up a shower for ya too.

Try to plan your trip around BLM land and you'll camp for free.

For food I would just buy some frozen food and tin foil. Eat sandwiches for lunch. Remember, the best part is getting out. I enjoy building a small fire, cooking my food and putting back a few beers. I like to wake up and make some bacon and eggs over the fire. If you are in a hurry pack some bagels and a spread. One thing I didn't like about the wyo trip was that everyone got up, made eggs real quick on a burner, and packed up.

One thing I feel people forget about when camping is being able to get away from it all. Turn the phone off, take a camera, use the laptop to just clear your memory card. When in towns go out and talk to strangers. Learn their story and tell em yours. When you find a small burger joint/bar in a small town of 200 you better stop. Probably the best burger you will get.

Also, ditch the rtt some nights. If you know its gonna be clear then toss a tarp on the ground and crash by the fire .
Damn man, lots of stuff i haven't thought about.. Much truth in here. I'll definitely be taking some things away from this.

Quote:
I have the same bag as him. I burned up well below zero. However, I thrive in the cold. I wear a fleece at most out here through out the winter. Either way I broke a sweat in that bag in a nasty snow storm.
Good to know that i'll be proper cozy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOLGUY View Post
sub'd. I'll enjoy reading and watching your progress. Go have fun and enjoy the adventure while you can.

Don't forget the cooler!
The cooler... Im in the air about the cooler. A part of me wants to get a 70$ Coleman Xtreme Marine cooler and another wants to get a Pelican/Yeti or a ARB fridge... :going crazy:

Quote:
You guys should plan it out! You are both leaving around the same time. Pretty close to each other too.
If he wants to leave earlier we could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post

I've toyed with getting a ARB Fridge.. they are just so damn expensive.. and people don't sell them often, if i could get a good one for around 300-400 maybe i'd pull the trigger, opening a new dimension for me.

The Hot water idea is actually really cool but at this point, i don't have the funds simply to make that an option at this moment in time :/

The signal idea, i hadn't thought about, may be worth doing a bit more research on this aspect of the trip thanks for the new angle!

I have played with the idea of more action packers but idk what i'd put in them honestly.. I'm thinking a 48 gallon to hold all my clothing for the trip, but thats all i've thought in terms of storage, how would you organize it(24 and 48 gallon ap only)

Quote:
This I didnt know. Scrap the inflatable pad for sure!!

Quote:
._. dont remind me of that damn poncho... it does keep the moisture off ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
Oh, Cham froze his ass off in harrisonburg at the Steven Yota meet. Bet he learned his lesson !!
I sure did... i got in the truck and ran that bitch for hours idgaf haha!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #36
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Sweet, Ajohnson(andy) will be there as well! we can tailgate before...
Hell yea we can tailgate. That'll be awesome!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #37
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously , you guys know you need passports right ?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #38
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Hell yea we can tailgate. That'll be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Seriously , you guys know you need passports right ?
I went to the Bahamas in 10th grade, i've got one, just gotta get it renewed..
Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #39
Quantum731 is on a distinguished road

Quantum731's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a couple adapter hoses and a distribution tree and you can run 2 devices and a lantern off a single 20 lb propane tank. Nice easy setup, saves cash since 20 lb tanks like a Blue Rhino exchange are cheap, and can be found almost anywhere. The small tanks can be a pain to find...

Sit the tank on the campsite picnic table and you are all set.

Examples only...

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-30-Inc.../dp/B0009PURNG

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200000...VAY0NNMVFSAJ0T

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200000...ropane+lantern

Also, hang one of these with a mini-caribiner.

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Campi.../dp/B005F2PV6G
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #40
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
OH , Canada

That narrows it down
At 2100 miles I don't think he'll be making it to western Canada.

Products Discussed in this Thread