Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Thailand..... Anyone been there?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Thailand..... Anyone been there?

My common law wife is Thai and we are booked to fly there on the 31st of this month. All the stupid crap aside (IE sex trade, lady boys, and "rub & tug") what are some of the sites to see? We will be mainly in Bangkok and right now we have a few days planed at Ghan Ginaht Buri (I know thats not spelled right but just sound it out LOL) where we plan to ride elephants and hike trails and swim in some water falls and stuff. Then after that we plan to fly to Phuket and take the 2hr boat ride out to Koh Phi Phi Island and hang out there for 3 or 4 days, then back to Bangkok.

So is there anything to add to the list? I am an action seeker, and dont find "laying on the beach" very much fun at all. So gimmie all the tips ya got......
Old 03-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a nice trip Tim. What town you neat in MS?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
I live not far too far from you up in Hernando
Old 03-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
jamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nice
Name: james
jamesinkeys's Tacoma Gallery
MudFlap,...Bangkok, English spoken everywhere, Thais love western culture, and westerners. Great city to get around in tuk tuks. Dirt cheap, and fun. tour the city in a tuk tuk for a couple of dollars. Must see the Jade Buda at the royal palace. Dont forget the romantic river cruises that cruises the old city and residential canals. Fantastic seafood,restaurant, clean sidewalk fare at night, lobsters super cheap(everything is). From hotel, book a short day tour(morning, pick you up in a tour van) to the famous floating market, beautiful, romantic. Hotel, book a tour to see the old fishing villages, see and feel the differences between the muslim village(dagger looks) to the regular Thai. This, where you see the famous clear sea, and the high rock formations with trees on them(James Bond movie).One more day trip from hotel. Tour van takes you to the original bridge on the River Kwai. Walk across, then back to train ride that American prisoners built then died. another tour van takes you back to the hotel, very historical. Have to go back as Thailand is the most stress free, beautiful, inexpensive, friendly city in the world. You will hate to leave, and planning to come back before you leave.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinkeys View Post
MudFlap,...Bangkok, English spoken everywhere, Thais love western culture, and westerners. Great city to get around in tuk tuks. Dirt cheap, and fun. tour the city in a tuk tuk for a couple of dollars. Must see the Jade Buda at the royal palace. Dont forget the romantic river cruises that cruises the old city and residential canals. Fantastic seafood,restaurant, clean sidewalk fare at night, lobsters super cheap(everything is). From hotel, book a short day tour(morning, pick you up in a tour van) to the famous floating market, beautiful, romantic. Hotel, book a tour to see the old fishing villages, see and feel the differences between the muslim village(dagger looks) to the regular Thai. This, where you see the famous clear sea, and the high rock formations with trees on them(James Bond movie). Have to go back as Thailand is the most stress free, beautiful, inexpensive, friendly city in the world. You will hate to leave, and planning to come back before you leave.

Awesome info there James..... Thanks!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Love Thailand. Been to Phuket twice (2nd time don't remember much after I was acting the typical sailor). I do remember, watch out while walking down the streets, you might get herded into bars and then special "shows" start. It was a mandatory 2 drink minimum at jacked up prices. However, once past the 2 drinks, the cheap menu comes out.

Definitely enjoy your beach time. Try doing a snorkeling or scuba tour (or get scuba qual'd relatively cheap). I rode elephants in Phuket. You can always avoid getting a hotel and rent a house and driver like we did. Had a 3 bed 3 bath house for cheap and paid a driver $60us/day to take us wherever we wanted (split this all 3 ways and it was even better).

(By special shows, I mean some sick and twisted #$@# that I don't care to see again lol)
Old 03-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
been there 3 times. favorite place on the planet.

last time it got tainted when revolutionist took over the airport. at the time, it was a very tame revolution. maybe one single molotov cocktail thrown. as i understand it, they have up their game. be careful.

in Bangkok (not at home, so dont have my travel notebook) awesome market. it was HUGE!! you almost needed a GPS to navigate it. i cant remember the name. i never even poked my head into a sex place. i understand they put KIDNAPPED girls in there..so i stayed out, just in case.

food is awesome, but being married to a thai chick..probably pretty common? and when you exchange your american money for thai bhat..prepare to feel rich!! i think they handed me a 1.5" thick wad of cash..it was awesome.

i use Bangkok kinda like the hub. south east asia is the best trip ever. all the trips originate out of bangkok. have fun.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #8

MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the awesome info guys, we are getting our stuff together now and starting to pack. So far we have 5 suit cases and a backpack stuffed for the trip. The lady has some friends that will guide us around a little bit here and there, but for the most part we are on our own. But I am looking forward to this trip, we leave in 11 days now. I have never been this that far away from home either. I have taken cruises and went to Mexico last year, but.... Thailand...... its on the other side of the earth!

I have always loved flying and I have been studying the plane we are flying on witch is a 777-300er. When we booked this flight 5 months ago, we chose this paticular airline and flight for the newer A380 with better creature comforts for the 15 hour flight. But I speculate that ticket sales are low for this specific flight so Korean Air chose to go with a smaller plane witch makes sense. Our travel agent chose our seats for us too, when she told us that she assigned us seats A and C I was like WTF?!! She told us that people dont like to book that middle seat (B) so we stand a good chance at having that whole little row to ourselves. And this crap with this missing plane doesnt make me feel great about flying either...... go figure..... its the SAME damn plane model too!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
some advice?

call your credit card company to let them know you are over there. they will more than likely freeze your account, if they see a charge..thinking it was stolen.

and i like to email myself all my info.

1-800 numbers for my credit cards
US consulate numbers
my passport number.
etc.

if anything happens, you can at least have someone to talk to..just in case. internet cafes are everywhere.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
I've been to Phuket twice and Pattaya twice. I looooove Thailand. Lots of things to do, tours and trips and such.