1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm gonna drive to Alaska... Where else should I go?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by SteveO86, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    Hey everyone,

I found out about a week ago that I have orders to PCS to Alaska after I leave Korea. So, I have to pickup my dog and truck from my parents place in Georgia and then I'll head up the ALCAN. However, I am thinking of making mini vacation out of the drive too.

So far I am definitely going to Omaha and Salt Lake City to see some friends.

I'm thinking of going to San Francisco too because I've never been to Cali and I think I would enjoy NorCal more than SoCal.

If I go to San Fran, I was thinking of riding the coast up to Seattle and seeing more of the city than I got to while I was there on my way to Korea.

Do you guys have any additional stops on the way that I should consider?

2. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Busted CV boots and lots of squeaks.
    Grand Canyon.

3. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
  4. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Yosemite.

5. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD Sport 4X4
    Too many to name at once lol.

Westminster SC…lol.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  6. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    Haha, all good suggestions. I'll probably add Moab to the list since I'll be in Utah anyway. And I have a funny story about the last time I tried to go to the Grand Canyon.

I'll make Westminster SC for sure haha. :thumbsup: But I'll make that trip in a few weeks while I'm home on leave. The drive to Alaska will happen in January.

7. Jul 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    avoid CANADA!!!!!!

8. Jul 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

:rolleyes:

9. Jul 12, 2014 at 6:07 AM
    COoffRD

COoffRD ShouldaKeptTheOldOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Val
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    '05 Taco, 6sp
    Drive through Glacier Nat'l Park, Montana, if it fits in your route.

10. Jul 12, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    Outbound

Outbound Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    double cab short box
    that might be hard if he's travelling by 4x4...

Speaking of Canada you might want to cruise through the Cassiar Hwy in a Northern British Columbia with a diversion through Stweart BC and - Hyder Alaska (reputed to have the best US border crossing ever - as in none).

11. Jul 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Korea, now Alaska ? Did you sleep with a General's daughter?

12. Jul 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Depending on the amount of time you have we have found the National parks in the Rocky mountains amazing.
    Just got back from Rocky Mountain NP. Stayed in Estes Park a couple days.
    Saw tons of wildlife Elk, Moose, Sheep, and all kind of smaller mammals like marmots, ect.
    Glacier is another not to miss. We did the Great Lodges tour and stayed in some of the great old lodges built over 100 years ago.

If you venture through Canada Bannff ( spelt wrong on pourpoise ;) ) is very cool and do not miss Lake Louise.

Vancouver is an awesome city to visit if you get that far west.
    So much to see, just depends on your time to see it.

13. Jul 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:

Noo, I actually asked for both assignments. I was in Nebraska for 7 years and wanted a change so I volunteered for Korea. Got Korea so I could get my dream assignment of Alaska. I've actually been doing a lot of traveling this past two years. I found out about my orders to Korea about three weeks after I got back from Afghanistan last summer.

I was wondering what national parks were out there. I knew about Yosemite so I was going to stop there if I made my way to San Francisco. I'll have to look into the others though.

I will be going through Canada, at least British Columbia to get to the ALCAN. If I go to San Fran I'll take the west coast north to Seattle and then into Vancouver too.

If I don't go to San Fran, I'll be passing through Montana so I will definitely make my way through Glacier.

I'm gonna have to look that highway up. I just got the Milepost for my iPad so I'll see how I can add this bit of road into the trip! Thanks :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  14. Jul 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    HiAk

HiAk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Hawaii/Alaska
    I've driven the Alcan several times and flown from AK to Oregon via helicopter many times. Without a doubt the coast is most spectacular route. Lucky for you there is a boat that departs from Bellingham, Washington that you can drive your truck onto and travel to Whittier, Alaska (very near anchorage). Once on the boat you can rent a state room or camp on the deck of the ship. I've wanted to do this trip for years but never been able to manage it. Do a google search to find all the info. Plus you'll save your truck from certain damage of the Alcan. It is a heavily used trucking/shipping route. My Tacoma took quite a bit of damage driving it (cracked windshield and rocks chipping paint and breaking my grill). If you do drive I also recommend the cassiar highway. Have fun

15. Jul 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    Explor

Explor Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
    Stop bye Walnutport Pennsylvania !!!! : )

16. Jul 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    SteveO86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    I was looking into the ferry for the trip but I got discouraged when I found out that my dog would have to stay in the truck while on the boat. Since I'll be driving up in January and I don't know if the vehicle deck is heated, I decided that I would drive. Obviously I don't want my truck damaged but I'd rather have my dog with me and be able to keep him warm too.

17. Jul 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    So you found out about korea 3 weeks after aghanistan and now alaska? I'm going with the general's daughter theory as well...lol

18. Jul 18, 2014 at 1:01 AM
    mipawlus

mipawlus #332 Veteran Overland, #159 TTC, #69 in your heart

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Poopypants
    Aggieland
    Vehicle:
    BROJAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Rust and dents and squeaks
    Check out the thread in my sig. Plenty of good ideas in there. I'm planning a few more stops on my way back to Houston when I leave in sept/oct so definitely take a peek. Too many awesome places to have a looksee. Prepare for the more expensive gas now and depending on the time of year you come up the ALCAN is literally deserted (oct-apr basically) so plan ahead. Avoid the dragons den in Watson lake Yukon and make sure you have the canada and alskan maps on your gps. Bring a camera.

19. Jul 18, 2014 at 5:04 AM
    speyguy

speyguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    Extang Trifecta, BFG AT, Weathertech Digital Fits, AVS Bug Deflector II
    If you have the time to make a detour OR decide to take the ferry to Alaska, Kitimat BC and Prince Rupert BC are well worth the trip. It’s truly beautiful and the fishing is amazing! (Bring your fly rod if you have one)

I have been on the Alaska Highway from Dawson Creek BC to NWT many times, I used to work there.(Forest Tech) Lot’s to see is an understatement, scenery and wildlife and more wildlife.

Outside of Alaska some of the biggest moose in North America are in that area north of Dawson Creek to NWT. I have seen some absolute monsters! Some real nice mule deer around Dawson Creek BC as well, in particular in the Peace River valley. Wolves and Woodland Caribou are neat to see as well the further north you go!

Speaking of wildlife, keep your eyes open…for some odd reason the wildlife seems to think they own the road LOL;):D

My only regret was not making it to Alaska, good luck and you are going to have a hell of an adventure!

20. Jul 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    tacomanto

tacomanto Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow, how cool? Will you be driving to Alaska from Georgia? that will be a long drive, but I guess a lot of fun. Enjoy your time.

To Top