1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I crazy to attempt this trip?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by sinjun, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Nice setup. I would think a shell would help a little with mileage, so that air wouldn't drop into the bed and then "hit" the front of the trailer. Are you running a weight distribution or anti-sway??

2. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm sure you have already but if not you should really consider trailer brakes. In those temps you will be using air conditioning wich will not help with you gas milage. I think the Taco would handle it no problem. Go for it we only go this way once.

3. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    crittergitter

crittergitter Proud to be Canadian Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Shearwater, NS
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma 4WD Double Cab
    Bugger, skid plate, colour coded cap, bed mat, AFE Air Filter, Rear diff breather mod, Chirp on door lock;unlock, ABS mod, Weathertechs front and rear, 60" Hi-lift jack, LED light mod in rear bed, 12V accessory in bed, n more stuff.
    I think you should be fine if you take the precautions that you have stated. I'm gonna try Halifax, Nova Scotia to Lloydminster, Alberta in July. Planning on driving straight through. No little children, going out to visit son and DIL and new grandchild. Only consideration for me is my dog, but we'll keep her in the backseat in her kennel so she should be fine. Planning on towing the son's modded Civic as well. Got to get some of the vehicles out of the driveway!!! LOL!!! Good luck on your trip, nice rig.

4. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    sinjun

sinjun [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    Mickey Thompson ATZ Tires, Spiffy new headlights
    I have a brake control unit and am using a weight distribution hitch.

Thanks for the info on ambient air temps. I was last in Vegas 2yrs ago in May and the temp was just right. It is a good to point out how hot the desert really gets in the summer. Not something I truly understand.

5. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    You aren't the only one that's suprised. This isn't a hatchback. It's a properly equipped truck. It appears you've put a lot of thought into this trip and planned accordingly. I have no doubt in my mind that the truck will be capable of the trip.

6. Mar 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JEFF
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT 6 SPEED
    Dobinsons suspension
    SINJUN, ON YOUR TRIP TO VEGAS AND BACK HOW DID IT GO? DID THE TACO HOLD UP WELL, BECAUSE I'M LOOKING TO GET A TRAVEL TRAILER WEIGHING AROUND 4500 TO 5000 LOADED.

7. Mar 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    The Tacoma can tow and it will even passed the limit posted on the sticker. You will be in the spec but really 6,000 miles that's a lot man. Gas, heating up your trans climbing big passes, traffic, brakes to stop. Kids fighting/shitting and complaining that you didn't stop all day long.

Can your wife drive the truck with the trailer? If not reconsider how long it will take with rests for your safety as well theirs

1 week that's it? I would want to stay longer if I had just gone 3000 miles but its your $. I would look in air lines and see what they want and the hotel. I bet it's cheaper in the long run for the truck lmao

8. Mar 26, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    Lmfao haven't bumped like that on here ever.

9. Mar 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    DERRR just saw this was an old thread....

I've been trying to convince my wife to do this forever. Although with our Yukon XL and a bigger travel trailer. I think your setup with that truck/trailer are well within the capabilities, you should do fine.

Problem I run into is: We have four boys. 13, 10, 9 and 20months. My 20 month old hates being strapped in a car seat. We made a straight through trip to Georgia from Phily area and it was pretty rough. I drove through the night to avoid my youngest from being cranky the entire time. What we found is that MAX 8 hours in the truck on any given trip is about what we all can tolerate before we need to stop and decompress for the rest of the day.

The rest of the kids are manageable, with the entertainment system in the truck and Nintendo DS's. We're still going to try to make a trip south to FL this year with a travel trailer. I like the one you have, but I was looking in the 25-27 foot range that sleeps 6.

10. Mar 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    DigB

DigB Go Jets GO!!!!!!

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    Air Freshener mod
    I hope you enjoyed the trip if you've already went.
    I'm sure the truck would handle the trip no problem, but due to the time of year you might need a tranny cooler as its not a flat trip. I've done the same trip years ago as a kid in the summer, It was hot but as long as you take your time and find campgrounds with a pool, you guys would be fine! It will just be hotter than a Mexican stop sign!
    If the truck is rated for 6500lbs then I assume Toyota tested to a much higher weight to see what is actually safe. And of course there is going to be wear and tear on the truck but you didn't buy it to look at it in the driveway did you?

Drive slower, get a brake adjuster for the trailer and I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of gas....Its way cheaper in the states then in Canada!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top