Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Am I crazy to attempt this trip?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #21
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup. I would think a shell would help a little with mileage, so that air wouldn't drop into the bed and then "hit" the front of the trailer. Are you running a weight distribution or anti-sway??
Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #22
fjrmurph will become famous soon enoughfjrmurph will become famous soon enough
fjrmurph's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you have already but if not you should really consider trailer brakes. In those temps you will be using air conditioning wich will not help with you gas milage. I think the Taco would handle it no problem. Go for it we only go this way once.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #23
Proud to be Canadian Navy
crittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nice

Name: Stu
crittergitter's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should be fine if you take the precautions that you have stated. I'm gonna try Halifax, Nova Scotia to Lloydminster, Alberta in July. Planning on driving straight through. No little children, going out to visit son and DIL and new grandchild. Only consideration for me is my dog, but we'll keep her in the backseat in her kennel so she should be fine. Planning on towing the son's modded Civic as well. Got to get some of the vehicles out of the driveway!!! LOL!!! Good luck on your trip, nice rig.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #24
sinjun is just really nicesinjun is just really nicesinjun is just really nicesinjun is just really nicesinjun is just really nice
Name: Derek
sinjun's Tacoma Gallery
I have a brake control unit and am using a weight distribution hitch.

Thanks for the info on ambient air temps. I was last in Vegas 2yrs ago in May and the temp was just right. It is a good to point out how hot the desert really gets in the summer. Not something I truly understand.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjun View Post
I guess I am a little suprised at the lack of confidence that the Tac has what it takes to make the trip.
You aren't the only one that's suprised. This isn't a hatchback. It's a properly equipped truck. It appears you've put a lot of thought into this trip and planned accordingly. I have no doubt in my mind that the truck will be capable of the trip.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #26
POOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JEFF
POOLGUY's Tacoma Gallery
SINJUN, ON YOUR TRIP TO VEGAS AND BACK HOW DID IT GO? DID THE TACO HOLD UP WELL, BECAUSE I'M LOOKING TO GET A TRAVEL TRAILER WEIGHING AROUND 4500 TO 5000 LOADED.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
THIS THREAD IS FROM THREE YEARS AGO
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjun View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I am a little suprised at the lack of confidence that the Tac has what it takes to make the trip. There is no question it is long and could be quite hot. So I guess that makes sense. I wonder if the opinions would be the same if it was a Tundra? Am I over exceeding the capability of the truck or is it just becasue it is a long trip to the desert?

To the replies that illuminate the money concern, that is a very valid point as there is no question it is easier and possibly cheaper to fly down, but where is the fun in that. I think our original thought process was that we are doing this for the whole travel experience not just Vegas, that was simply an interesting place to go.

However your opinions are valued and I am thinking maybe a shorter trip might be the wiser choice. Perhaps just down to Idaho. Several smaller trips will happen before any kind of big trip does so I will have an idea of what the truck is like. Was just looking to tap into some previous experience.

I definitely understand the extra burden towing puts on the truck and that was a understood when I purchased it, however I don't want to kill on the first big trip out.

Once again thanks for the replies, and if anyone else has an opinion I am anxious to hear it.
The Tacoma can tow and it will even passed the limit posted on the sticker. You will be in the spec but really 6,000 miles that's a lot man. Gas, heating up your trans climbing big passes, traffic, brakes to stop. Kids fighting/shitting and complaining that you didn't stop all day long.

Can your wife drive the truck with the trailer? If not reconsider how long it will take with rests for your safety as well theirs

1 week that's it? I would want to stay longer if I had just gone 3000 miles but its your $. I would look in air lines and see what they want and the hotel. I bet it's cheaper in the long run for the truck lmao
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
The Tacoma can tow and it will even passed the limit posted on the sticker. You will be in the spec but really 6,000 miles that's a lot man. Gas, heating up your trans climbing big passes, traffic, brakes to stop. Kids fighting/shitting and complaining that you didn't stop all day long.

Can your wife drive the truck with the trailer? If not reconsider how long it will take with rests for your safety as well theirs

1 week that's it? I would want to stay longer if I had just gone 3000 miles but its your $. I would look in air lines and see what they want and the hotel. I bet it's cheaper in the long run for the truck lmao
I think he already went. Three years is a long time to plan a trip!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #30
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Lmfao haven't bumped like that on here ever.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
DERRR just saw this was an old thread....

I've been trying to convince my wife to do this forever. Although with our Yukon XL and a bigger travel trailer. I think your setup with that truck/trailer are well within the capabilities, you should do fine.

Problem I run into is: We have four boys. 13, 10, 9 and 20months. My 20 month old hates being strapped in a car seat. We made a straight through trip to Georgia from Phily area and it was pretty rough. I drove through the night to avoid my youngest from being cranky the entire time. What we found is that MAX 8 hours in the truck on any given trip is about what we all can tolerate before we need to stop and decompress for the rest of the day.

The rest of the kids are manageable, with the entertainment system in the truck and Nintendo DS's. We're still going to try to make a trip south to FL this year with a travel trailer. I like the one you have, but I was looking in the 25-27 foot range that sleeps 6.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
I hope you enjoyed the trip if you've already went.
I'm sure the truck would handle the trip no problem, but due to the time of year you might need a tranny cooler as its not a flat trip. I've done the same trip years ago as a kid in the summer, It was hot but as long as you take your time and find campgrounds with a pool, you guys would be fine! It will just be hotter than a Mexican stop sign!
If the truck is rated for 6500lbs then I assume Toyota tested to a much higher weight to see what is actually safe. And of course there is going to be wear and tear on the truck but you didn't buy it to look at it in the driveway did you?

Drive slower, get a brake adjuster for the trailer and I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of gas....Its way cheaper in the states then in Canada!