1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja California and Tacoma Travel 7-09

Discussion in 'Travel' started by David K, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    nice! was that the race where shortly after the start, the policia stopped everybody till someone paid them?

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Race? This thread is about a vacation in Baja, not connected with a race.

Help me out with what you are talking about...

There was an incident at the 2003 Baja 1000 that was shown on Dust To Glory of the police stopping the Trophy Trucks for exceeding the speed limit on the highway... nobody was paid and it was all worked out in minutes. The same thing happens in the U.S., except in the U.S. do things get worked out so easily?

Police in Mexico are not permitted to take money, you must go to the station... and fines for traffic violations are very low. If you get caught and you are guilty, go to the station and pay the small fine.

If you are not guilty, stand firm and call the bluff... offer to go to the station and see the judge... the cop will give up, and let you go.

Sure, the low paid police in some cases may 'offer to pay the fine for you' so you can be on your way... and they know gringos may be willing to pay a lot more than the fine to get going. Just think how nice that would be here, to pay the fine on the spot, and your insurance rates wouldn't get hiked, etc.

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    David, Thanks for sharing your experience. You may have very well influenced my opinion about traveling south of the border. Thanks. :)

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

You are welcome!

Just remember, you are in another country with different ways of doing things... adjust to the 'Mexican way' when you are in Mexico. For too long, people (punks) acted like they were outside the United States and that meant they could do what ever they wanted... the drinking age is 18, afterall. Places like Cabo and Rosarito, Tijuana, etc. all adjusted to these foreign punks with money to burn... it spoiled the bad cops into making easy money, etc.

Go to Mexico to see and experience Mexico... have fun without breaking the law (it is possible)... If you want to avoid civilization, then do what I do... LEAVE the pavement, take roads that require 4WD, and you will be alone... the most people you may see is a local rancher looking for cattle or a fisherman tending to his nets... Travel with others, if you are nervous or camp in campgrounds (campos) if you prefer. There is something for everyone, so pick your flavor... and enjoy the taco stands when you are in town! The best beer is in Mexico, too... crafted by European brewmasters over 100 years ago, Mexico has some awesome light and dark cervezas! Pacifico, XX (Dos Equis), Negro Modelo, Bohemia, Tecate, Sol, etc.

5. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Those hotels are too cool. That was very nice of them to surprise her with the cake.

As far as the traffic violations thankfully I haven't dealt with any first hand but I wish our government was that efficient.

6. Apr 6, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    Nice pics & write up! I'll have to put this on my bucket list...:rolleyes::D

7. Apr 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Cool! Let me know if I can help you plan a Baja adventure vacation... no charge! ;)

Find photos of Baja locations on this special web page of links to photos near various Baja destinations, to help you plan where to go exploring!: http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/tours

To Top