LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Going to the Keys in 3 wks, any suggestions?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
Going to the Keys in 3 wks, any suggestions?

My wife, my family and I are headed to the Florida Keys in a few weeks for 7 days. There is five adults and my 16 y.o. niece, so entertainment must be family friendly. We are staying on Marathon but plan on visiting Key West, the straight side, and the Everglades atleast. We already have reservations at the Dolphin Research Center for a swim, and plan on snorkeling. I was wondering if there are any "must-sees" down there that you guys and gals know of. Also if anyone has taken airboat rides in the 'glades, can you recommend an operator? There seem to be quite a few in a range of prices, and just want to be sure we get the best bang for the buck. Thanks for the help as always!!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
John Pennecamp at mile marker 102.5
The Tiki Bar on Islamorada
Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Rent sccoters to cruise around on, take the 35.00 catamaran sailboat out to go snorkeling, hit everything on Duval, southernmost point in continental US, Hemmingway's house, take the waverunner cruise around the Island, eat seafood for the whole week, bring all your sweat resistant clothing & charter a fishing boat. I'm talkin about Key West, we flew from Miami there. Didn't do the drive so not sure what all other cool shit is in between. Was best US vacation I've had in long long time if not ever, was really good time. Here, here's some live cams and radio to check out before you go...........

http://webcam.keywest.com/

Have fun & take a bunch of pics..............
Old 03-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
John Pennecamp at mile marker 102.5
The Tiki Bar on Islamorada
Awesome, I think we will be checking out the Tiki Bar!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Rent sccoters to cruise around on, take the 35.00 catamaran sailboat out to go snorkeling, hit everything on Duval, southernmost point in continental US, Hemmingway's house, take the waverunner cruise around the Island, eat seafood for the whole week, bring all your sweat resistant clothing & charter a fishing boat. I'm talkin about Key West, we flew from Miami there. Didn't do the drive so not sure what all other cool shit is in between. Was best US vacation I've had in long long time if not ever, was really good time. Here, here's some live cams and radio to check out before you go...........

http://webcam.keywest.com/

Have fun & take a bunch of pics..............

WOW thanks! We do plan on spending atleast a day in Key West, Thank you for all the suggestions.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future04prerunner has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: kyle
04prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
stop here in tampa bay and party before you go!!!!

im just sayin....
Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Drink heavily.

And you have to be in Mallory Square in Key West for at least 1 sunset. Pick the clearest day and head down. Hang out for a couple hours before sunset to enjoy the sites. The daily sunset festival is always amusing.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04prerunner View Post
stop here in tampa bay and party before you go!!!!

im just sayin....
LOL Maybe in June. My M-I-L has a condo by Tampa. We are going down for an anniversary party. Not sure we would have the time this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Drink heavily.

And you have to be in Mallory Square in Key West for at least 1 sunset. Pick the clearest day and head down. Hang out for a couple hours before sunset to enjoy the sites. The daily sunset festival is always amusing.
Yes plan on it!! We had a family meeting and were getting a rough estimate of food, and I wrote down the drink list. My mom laughed and said I see we have the drinks all set!! I have heard of Mallory Square and watching the sunset, we will definitely have to be there.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Sites = sights. I've spent way too much time on the internet.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
celec is on a distinguished road
celec's Tacoma Gallery
Bring lot of money!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Mel fisher musem key west also hemingways house + lighthouse
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
i have been to marathon 4 diffrent times fishing. there is a turtle rescue place there that is neat, check that out. key west is fun, but i like marathon alot better. if you go to key west go down there mid afternoon, they have a bunch of street vendors and such that set up for the sunset. there are mimes and people putting on all kind of side shows for tips. it is neat, everytime i went, we went down there and then left pretty soon after it was over. that place gets wild at night, i can't imagine what it is like after 11 pm. it seems like most people down there start drinking at lunch.

try and go out fishing one day. there is a nice state park b/w marathon and key west, it is called bia honda (or something similar), you should try and go there one day. it is maybe a 15 or 20 minute drive from marathon. they have just opened up a bar that is supposed to be nice at the 7 mile bridge as well, that is a great place to go and watch the sun go down.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Everyone covered it. Going out to The Dry Tortugas is a good trip if you want a beach on an island without anything else around.
That'll be a whole day.

Sunset festival is a great call!! Getting out on the water is a MUST. Fishing trip, or sailing, or snorkeling or whatever.

Key Lime Pie should go on your "List o' Stuff to Eat"!!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #14

Thank you all for the replies!! Sounds like we have a great list of things to see and do. I am so excited, never been to the Keys before. With the way work has been lately, I will need this!! Does anybody have an air boat tour operator they could recommend in the everglades? There are so many, and so many different prices. Just would like a heads up if anybody has one.