LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Coast to Coast drive on the I-40. Any Tips

Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Awesome Member
tacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
tacomakid89's Tacoma Gallery
Coast to Coast drive on the I-40. Any Tips

Well in a few days i'm going to start my journey from Hampton, Virginia all the way back to good ol' Hesperia, California. I did the drive here with a box truck and a trailer and now on the way back with my Tacoma I just want to make sure that i'm not forgetting anything. If anybody out there can think of anything to check or do before I leave, then please let me know. Also if anybody lives or works near the I-40 then let me know and maybe I could stop and fuel up there and talk trucks for a little bit. Or if you guys know of any good places off the I-40. Thanks alot for everything.

William/tacomakid89
Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
The I-40 is a nice drive. I do it between SoCal and Kentucky a few times a year. Just make sure your fluids are good, check the spare. Make sure you have your jack and tools. Air up your tires to the right pressure and you should be good. Nice easy drive. Nothing too fun along the way. There is that steak house in Amarillo with that HUGE ass steak that you get for free if you can eat it. Just watch out for your speed in Texas, no tollerance on the highway. I got pulled over for 74 in a 70. Have fun!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Avoid Lot Lizards at the truck stops.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
btkicker will become famous soon enough
btkicker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NraFan View Post
The I-40 is a nice drive. I do it between SoCal and Kentucky a few times a year. Just make sure your fluids are good, check the spare. Make sure you have your jack and tools. Air up your tires to the right pressure and you should be good. Nice easy drive. Nothing too fun along the way. There is that steak house in Amarillo with that HUGE ass steak that you get for free if you can eat it. Just watch out for your speed in Texas, no tollerance on the highway. I got pulled over for 74 in a 70. Have fun!
Good stuff.

Also add in a gallon of water, mainly for emergencies, and NoDoze. When you feel tired, pull over and take a cat nap.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Awesome Member
tacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Alright. I dont think im gonna try to eat a huge steak cause ill probably end up shittin my brains out for the rest of the drive, lol. But maybe stop there for a bite to eat. Ok Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Avoid Lot Lizards at the truck stops.
What the heck is a lot lizard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btkicker View Post
Good stuff.

Also add in a gallon of water, mainly for emergencies, and NoDoze. When you feel tired, pull over and take a cat nap.
Will do. Ya im gonna be sure to have some of that and get a good night sleep each night.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x99999 My mom got pulled over when we were on our way to Kansas city for going 75mph in a 70. Also if your going through at night, I think the speed limit drops to 65.

Oh and your going through Albuquerque! lol, not much to do there though.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
x99999 My mom got pulled over when we were on our way to Kansas city for going 75mph in a 70. Also if your going through at night, I think the speed limit drops to 65.

A lot more here than in Soccorro!

When you hit Albuquerque, take the Eubank exit, turn right, and stop in at The Owl Cafe and get a green chile cheesburger. F'n best ever!

Try not to hit the I-40/I-25 interchange here at rush hour. It's a flippin mad house. If it works out that you go through the "Big I" at night, the columns supporting I-25 over I-40 are lit up with color changing lights. It's pretty trippy.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post

I can see how those "lot lizards" could be tempting. lol
Quote:

Ya I saw that on the way here that the speed limit is usually like 10 or 15 lower at night. weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudpedal View Post

When you hit Albuquerque, take the Eubank exit, turn right, and stop in at The Owl Cafe and get a green chile cheesburger. F'n best ever!

Try not to hit the I-40/I-25 interchange here at rush hour. It's a flippin mad house. If it works out that you go through the "Big I" at night, the columns supporting I-25 over I-40 are lit up with color changing lights. It's pretty trippy.
Ok. Thanks. Ill have to stop there and get a burger. Thanks for lettin me know.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by btkicker View Post
Also add in a gallon of water, mainly for emergencies
You can buy a case or two of water.
Use it if needed on the highway but after the trip is over, throw it in the fridge for drinking around the home.

It'll be hot in Needles!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudpedal View Post

soooooo true! I hate it here.

and x2 on the interchange.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
I drove that route in 2007....in a u-haul
I did great until I got into New Mexico...the winds kicked up and the trailer (my car) started to get kicked around a lot. I spent a shit ton on gas, about $1300. Albuquerque is where the truck got a workout, the route is like 55mph and I swear everyone was doing 90mph. Going downhill trying not to get run into was a hair raising experience.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
I drove that route in 2007....in a u-haul
I did great until I got into New Mexico...the winds kicked up and the trailer (my car) started to get kicked around a lot. I spent a shit ton on gas, about $1300. Albuquerque is where the truck got a workout, the route is like 55mph and I swear everyone was doing 90mph. Going downhill trying not to get run into was a hair raising experience.
oh yeah, I forgot about the wind. This time of year its usually sustained winds in the 20-30 mph range with gusts in the 40s. So be careful if you're pulling a trailer.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Don't forget your credit card. Gas is going through the roof!!!! Safe trip.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #16
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
make sure you fill up with gas. It will take at least a full tank to make it all the way.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, if you happen to stop in OKC for the night; stay near downtown. You can hangout in Bricktown. It is decent for a night, with some decent bars. Other than that, there is no real reason to stop in OK on I-40.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #18
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:

NOW you tell me!!! I came through Texas last week and saw ALOT of people pulled over... thankfully I wasn't one of them. Set my cruise on 72 and they didn't bother me.

Yes, where the speed limit is higher than 65, it does drop to 65 at night.

Have a safe trip.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #19
Subd for later..
TacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
TacoRun's Tacoma Gallery
Do you plan on sleeping on the road or hotel? In case your the type that sleeps in your car in your road trips, I dont recomend sleeping in West Memphis, AR. or Little Rock. I drive that area alot and i see some people like to sleep in truck stops. Not a good idea. As for the pic of the lot lizards....DONT expect to see them like that. Dont forget the shop towels and extra snacks. Wal Marts are your best friends on the road when it comes to saving money. ( No I dont work for wal mart)
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #20
s2studio is on a distinguished road

s2studio's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a lot of others have covered it...good luck and stay safe on your trip!