Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Toyota Hilux in Rio De Janeiro

View Poll Results: Drive from Rio De Janeiro to Jackson
Good idea 25 65.79%
Bad idea 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
Toyota Hilux in Rio De Janeiro

So my Aussie buddy loves Hilux's (a Euro Tacoma available with a sick diesel). His dad works for a mining company and heads their South America operations. He has offered him a relatively new Hilux for cheap but he has to pick it up in Rio. Road trip!

Well more of a life-altering/threatening, epic, intercontinental trek. We have identified several "hiccups" which include but are not limited to:
  • Colombian drug cartels
  • The Amazon river and rainforest
  • border crossings
  • registration and inspection (Aussie buddy lives in Jackson, WY so no emissions)

Please vote in the poll and offer any advice that you can. We figure we will want some AKs, anti-venoms, bug spray and water. Has anyone done anything like this? We estimate it to be ~8000 miles of unknown terrain, culture, climate et cetera
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
go for it
Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds exciting but I think it is going to be a much bigger hassle than expected.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
Sounds exciting but I think it is going to be a much bigger hassle than expected.
We have come to realize this. It may even be cheaper to buy a 2010 Tacoma TRD DC and drop a custom turbodiesel in it...
Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Gauge View Post
Why not just have it shipped? You can FedEx it, but it won't be cheap!
Does anyone know anything about getting something like this imported? It is most likely RHD. Can it be done like a Nissan Skyline? I think EPA stops anything that won't pass federal emissions standards from being brought in. We considered taking my plate, registration and badging to get across the border. It could pass as a Tacoma...
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea. An excuse to carry an abundant amount of weapons. Possibly even mod the truck to fit a M240 in the bed...because those are easily obtainable. And you can contract mercenaries...fucking sweet....I can see it now...

...it's not a Hilux, but you understand.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taconinja View Post
Does anyone know anything about getting something like this imported? It is most likely RHD. Can it be done like a Nissan Skyline? I think EPA stops anything that won't pass federal emissions standards from being brought in. We considered taking my plate, registration and badging to get across the border. It could pass as a Tacoma...
Try to fool them and you'll be out however many thousands if caught.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We have come to realize this. It may even be cheaper to buy a 2010 Tacoma TRD DC and drop a custom turbodiesel in it...
just ship the hilux here
you are going to spend probably $2,000 on gas + another $1,000 on servicing, repairs, supplies + $1,000 miscellaneous on food, bribes, etc.
how much would it cost to ship it here? if its around $5,000 i'd say do it
Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you get all of your shots, malaria, denge, yellow fever, and various other shots you may need. Also bottled water, food, and someplace to hide your money. Check with a expedition planner and they may be able to help you out with route planning and give some tips on how to survive. You guys are brave if you do this, remember kidnapping is a sport down in south and central america.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
OK. No one is on my bandwagon...

I know it costs like $350 for crate & shipping of a motorcycle across country...obviously a truck is a bit bigger and you have it coming from outside the country, but I'm sure like 28003 said, it'll probably be cheaper to ship it.

...and apparently safer since no one is down with gunning up the truck.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
obviously its different for you but my buddy shis his cars between his 2 homes in Atlanta GA and CT. he said his wifes Escalade costs about $600 on an open trailer, his Ferarri runs 1200 in a closed crate. its pretty cheap when you calculate fuel, food, hotel, mileage. its a private car shipper.

you could have it imported to a private shipper and they could bring it to you, i doubt it would cost you over 3k
Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.21 View Post
Good idea. An excuse to carry an abundant amount of weapons. Possibly even mod the truck to fit a M240 in the bed...because those are easily obtainable. And you can contract mercenaries...fucking sweet....I can see it now...

...it's not a Hilux, but you understand.
This is an older Hilux.

Shipping might be the way to go. A lot less fun but could be less $$$ and definitely less of a chance of murder, rape or organ harvesting.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
It would fit in a 20ft container nicely, probably run you about 2000-3000 plus customs. What you want to do is call a freight forwarder. They can handle all the details, and get the truck to the closest port which is most likely Houston, New Orleans, Mobile. You could then have it trained in the container to Salt Lake City which is probably one of the biggest hubs close to Jackson, WY. The problem is this:

Imported motor vehicles are subject to U.S. safety standards, bumper standards, and air pollution control (emission) standards. Most vehicles manufactured abroad that conform with U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards are exported expressly for sale in the United States; therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance. Nonconforming vehicles entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. I would be willing to pick it up if it ships to Houston.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
I voted bad idea. It's a horrible idea for your's and your friend's safety. Y'all could be kidnapped, raped, sold as slaves, etc. It would be a huge risk to take for a truck. It would be more sensible to have it shipped to the states for the same, if not less cost as the trip would be. It's simply a foolish act to put y'alls lives in danger for a truck.

That being said, I would still do it.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
drive fast
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
It would fit in a 20ft container nicely, probably run you about 2000-3000 plus customs. What you want to do is call a freight forwarder. They can handle all the details, and get the truck to the closest port which is most likely Houston, New Orleans, Mobile. You could then have it trained in the container to Salt Lake City which is probably one of the biggest hubs close to Jackson, WY. The problem is this:

Imported motor vehicles are subject to U.S. safety standards, bumper standards, and air pollution control (emission) standards. Most vehicles manufactured abroad that conform with U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards are exported expressly for sale in the United States; therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance. Nonconforming vehicles entering the United States must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.
Shipping is definitely the best idea. I like my kydneys and liver - they let me drink beer!

I guess I don't understand why it couldn't meet safety and bumper standards, it's essentially a Tacoma (same frame). It has plenty of airbags. Emissions is a problems since the US EPA is a bunch of prudes and has it out for diesels. My buddy pointed out that WY does not have emissions standards though. So if it were registered in a state w/o emissions, do Federal regulations supercede? To bring it into compliance could I put in a couple of special diesel catalytic converters? I think I need to do more research on emissions...
Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Shipping is definitely the best idea. I like my kydneys and liver - they let me drink beer!

I guess I don't understand why it couldn't meet safety and bumper standards, it's essentially a Tacoma (same frame). It has plenty of airbags. Emissions is a problems since the US EPA is a bunch of prudes and has it out for diesels. My buddy pointed out that WY does not have emissions standards though. So if it were registered in a state w/o emissions, do Federal regulations supercede? To bring it into compliance could I put in a couple of special diesel catalytic converters? I think I need to do more research on emissions...
When it gets to Houston or any other port entry it will go through customs. I think it could clear customs, for all customs know it could be a car for a museum, doesn't have to be driven.