Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

Epic road trip across western US - help me plan!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Epic road trip across western US - help me plan!

Hey guys, I finally confirmed that I will be getting 3 weeks off work this summer and would like to plan another road trip. Last year I drove myself and 4 more friends visiting from Europe in my (at that time new to me) Tacoma to Alaska. We covered 8000km in two weeks, visited places as Fairbanks, Denali park, Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Kluane Lake, Whitehorse, Muncho Lake etc. and it was just awesome. This time I'm thinking of going south to explore western US. I'll be starting in Edmonton, AB on the 16th of July after work and have until August 7-8 to get back home.

I would like to get to down to Utah as soon as I can and will leave Montana, Wyoming and Yellowstone to another smaller trip in the future. I'd be starting my trip driving towards Calgary on friday night to get rid of first 300km. From there its wide open and I would love your suggestions. I will be camping wherever I can as usual. I was thinking of taking mountain bikes with me but that might still change. I would definitely want to see Grand Canyon, thought of passing through Vegas, then explore Sequoia and Yosemite parks and maybe try hiking up Mt. Whitney, from there possibly head towards San Francisco, definitely would like to try surfing while im down in Cali, would like to spent some time on the coast and head back home through Oregon, Washington and BC.

I would like to hear some ideas and help planning this monster trip. Where to go, what not to miss etc. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
definantly go to yosemite. I go a couple times each summer and its amazing
Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Definitely hit Moab, UT! Very cool place and bring your mtn bikes for some great riding. Canyonlands, arches, etc are absolutely worth visiting.
Grand Canyon in AZ is a no brainer. Go see it!
Vegas is worth seeing I guess. Always fun to go party a little bit over there.

How long you going to spend in each spot?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Avoid I-80 at all costs.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith747 View Post
Avoid I-80 at all costs.
I thought 80 was an East/West route?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
I thought you were coming west from Jersey (EDIT: misread OP's location)...probably didn't read carefully enough. Anyway, just avoid 80...it's horrible.