Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Travel

Notices

retirement, how about you?

Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
retirement, how about you?

just took a week long trip to fort meyers florida. it was a beautiful town, the weather was awesome, and the gulf water is nice (as of right now). i returned home to kansas city missouri, departed the plane to a 65deg cloudy and 70% cahnce of rain, and wondered "why couldnt i just move back there now?". well i have a very secure job on the railroad as a conductor, make outragious money for not having a degree or any college edg. of any sort except for welding. it would be pretty hard to leave this job to go live there in this time of economic downfall, so i know for now i will follow my career plan of retireing from the railroad with a healthy chunk of money at the age of 60 (25 more years). i just searched trulia.com for houses in fort meyers fl, and the prices are rediculous. so many short sells, forclosures, and people that just need to dump their properties. if i buy now, i would be getting a hell of a deal, but if i wait, the home prices are sure to go back up. i would like to stay around my home town, but the weather is just all over the place, i hate the cold, and i hate the snow.
so in short, i want to retire in the vecinity of fort meyers florida. any other sugestions? how about you?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
If you are only 35 I wouldn't base my retirement plans on any place you visit now as things will probably be substantially different in thirty years.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
If you are only 35 I wouldn't base my retirement plans on any place you visit now as things will probably be substantially different in thirty years.
x3. However, w/ that said, starting a mortgage now is a good idea, so that when you do retire, you wont have a mortgage to handle.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Randy, I'll be in Fort Meyers next week! Hopefully I'll get a chance to go swimming in the Gulf at Sanibell Island. I am "sort of" retired. The plant I worked at closed i December and I'm going to go back to school for two years for a degree, courtesy of the federal program for displaced workers. Trade Adjustment Act for workers whose jobs go to a foreign country. Home prices in Fort Meyers and Cape Coral are ridiculously low right now, but unemployment is also horrible there. My plan is to spend the winters in North Fort Meyers and the summers in New England after I officially retire in about 7 years.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
35??!! please. hopefully, you will do plenty of traveling. i bet before you retire, you will "find" 25 more potential places to spend your golden years.

i have my list narrowed to about 5. and i'm only in my early 40's. a grass shack on a thai beach, would cost me pennies..(it's on the list)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
i know im "young" yet, but what i realy wanted to know is others opinions on where they would like to retire. i know that alot will change in 25 years, but as of now, fort meyers vecinity is the place for me. so back to the begining "so in short, i want to retire in the vecinity of fort meyers florida. any other sugestions? how about you?"
Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
i've lived in san diego all my life, and i've been all over the place. the only thing i can think when i go to all those other places is..."man, i love san diego."
Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Where the White Women At?
StZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shedStZu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
StZu's Tacoma Gallery
I have family that live in Ft. Meyers and they love it. I have been there once and had a great time. If Florida was Texas I would move there. I am never leaving this state.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my dream retirement. i want to live where i cannot see my neighbors home. maybe a plot of land in NM. i will also buy a condo in taiwan, where my wife is from. the health insurance is a great deal over there. spend my time in both places. hunting, fishing..and city life, with free meds.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
my dream retirement. i want to live where i cannot see my neighbors home. maybe a plot of land in NM.
My sister lives on 90 acres on a ranch development in Mew Mexico that's far enough off the main highways so they don't get any illegal traffic. The place is pretty hilly and most of the houses can't see their neighbors. The downside is that they have to drive about a hundred miles to go shopping or to see a doctor.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
bigsur is on a distinguished road
Name: Stephen
bigsur's Tacoma Gallery
Come to Big Sur. My nearest neighbor is over a mile away unless you count dolphins and sea otters.

And the people here (I am from Alabama) are so much more liberal and open-minded than their Bay Area/Berkeley bretheren.......that they even accept the views of a fiscally conservative creationist like me, so long as I don't start talking about the War of Northern Aggression!