1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road Trip to Boston - Help and Ideas

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jgwheeler17, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 [OP] I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    sorry if you clicked this for pics. This is a preliminary thread. :sorry:

but, as is stated, im thinking on taking a road trip to Boston around the end of the summer (august 3rdish-7thish). It will be me and two of my good friends heading to Fenway to catch one of the Rangers vs Red Sox games, and maybe a Yankees game. Kind of starting this thread for advise, ideas, and whatever tips you northerners might have for 3 stupid 21 year old north carolinians heading above the mason dixon line.

the main thing is going to one of the games in the Rangers series at Boston. but hopefully we'll be able to also go to one of the yankees games on the 4th or 5th on the way there. Really don't have much of an idea as of a schedule yet, other than leave nc early one morning and pit stop in Philly that night. From there, no clue.

So, some of my questions are things like

-what's some must see places in my route?
    -what's the best way to handle parking and such at yankee stadium and fenway? i get the feeling there aren't massive free parking lots anywhere near yankees stadium at the least. shuttle services? cab it up? what to do?!
    -what's a reasonable hotel room cost up north? (as in cheap, but at the same time i don't want roaches to carry me away. $60 can get you luxury down here haha)
    -i know nothing about toll roads
    -will i get shot if i say "yall"?
    -general does and donts
    -anything you think might be fun and/or save me money

This is one of those once in a lifetime kind of trips for us. We've all been up north a few times, but it will likely be all of our last chance to do something fun before we graduate and get old and boring like most of yall ;)
    just kidding. but seriously; traveling with my friends, seeing new parts of this great country, seeing historic places, famous baseball stadiums, etc - all way more fun and worth the money for us than blowing $2k in a week in the bahamas.

here's the worst part - $$$ :eek: we're obviously trying to keep this as cheap as possible. right now we'd like to keep it to around $500-$600 a head, total cost. am i thinking unrealistic here? ive done some math with ticket, gas, food, booze, and other expenses totaled up and it seems pretty reasonable. will $1500-$1800 be enough for us to do our thing and have a good time?

anyway, i'll quite typing and let this thread take it's course. As is obvious, im planning WAY ahead right now. something might happen and we might not even be able to make this trip. so just throw out some stuff at me and we'll see what happens come august. thank you. :)

2. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    spares

spares Canadian Bacon

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport
    Hit up Boston Beer works before the game, really good food is the bonus cuz the drinking/atmoshpere is worth going for. You can spit out the door and hit fenway so don't need to worry about transportatiion to the game from there. That's my suggestion from the northern side!

3. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:10 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    There is a whole lot of things to do in Boston. Not sure what your into. A lot of history (TON's, look it up online), food (the north end for Italian, seafood just about anywhere), shopping (Faneuil hall marktetplace, Newbury St), scenic (Cape Cod). If you haven't been here before you will have no problem finding stuff to do, the problem lies in the money. Hotel rooms here are not cheap. Parking is not cheap and because it is suce an old city the roads in downtown are quite hard for most people to get around on. Just do your research before hand and you should have a great trip. Word's of advice are we are not patienct drivers and don't mention the NY Yankees! Have a great trip!

4. Apr 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    When I graduated college, I took a motorcycle trip down to OBX with my dad. We left Albany and hit up those KOA Kamping Kabins along the way. They are relatively inexpensive place to stay along the way. We stopped in Cape May, NJ, Virginia Beach and a few other locations along the way.

Lodging and ticket prices could easily kill your budget. Reserve your tickets in advance so you know what that part of your budget will cost you. Also, hotels in NYC and Boston ain't cheap! I can't really speak about NYC, I've only visited there a few times and never in a hotel but with Boston, you're better off getting a hotel outside the city limits and driving in or parking at a T stop and taking the subway in (in Boston, the subway is called the T). Parking in Boston can easily run you $20/day but parking at a T stop and taking the subway in would only cost you $4-7 to park plus the subway ticket.

To get around the cities, the easiest and cheapest way is the mass transit systems (subways), but they can take some getting used to if you aren't from the area. Boston's is prettty easy to get around and costs $2/person/ride but NYC's can be confusing and isn't as well marked. Boston's subway system seems pretty easy, even if you're a newcomer. When I moved here, it was the first place I've ever lived with a subway system and didn't have any trouble finding my way around. Plus, as long as you're rooting for the Sox, people will help you find Fenway :D While in Boston, Fanuiel Hall in the north end is a fun place. Lots of bars and sites to see. It'd be a fun day to start a bar crawl in the north end, then go to bars around Fenway (Boston Beer Works is a good one), then end up at the game.

You won't get shot for saying y'all but you can stir up a rucas if you're rooting for the other team. If you get into a jamb, just yell 'Yankees Suck' and you'll quickly make a lot of friends in the city of Boston.

I hope this helps! If you want to know more about Boston, let me know. I live just outside the city and commute there daily.

5. Apr 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 [OP] I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    wow, some great advice so far. . . especially yours Pugga. thank you all very much. i imagine as the summer draws closer i will be in contact with you more haha. . . but yes, you addressed my two major concerns - transit and parking. certainly not trying to stay anywhere close to new york city, as ive been there before and can only imagine the terrible costs of a hotel and the fact that i am great at getting lost in cities. The yankees games we would maybe go to are 1p.m. games that saturday and sunday. so ideally it would be - leave philly early one morning and somehow get in that area, park, and ride the subway there. after that game, get back to our vehicle and drive up to Massachusetts area and have a day or two of sight seeing and what not. the Rangers games are on that monday - wednesday. like ive said, nothing is by any means set in stone, just trying to work out some generalities, cost being the main thing.

ive already worked out the total trip for gas being around $300-$350 for the whole trip, and $50 per ticket per game.

so gas, and 6 baseball game tickets, we're already looking at around $600. and that's fine. cutting cost on lodging, food, tourism, transportation i think will be the biggest obstacle.
    and i'll go ahead and say, im not trying to go up there and live like a poor person. i know this won't be a cheap trip. it will be the end of the summer and our pockets will be jingling with money we should be saving to last the school year haha. but at the same time, we're young and money still is a very big deal, so efficiency is going to have to be key, even if it does mean a little less luxury.

To Top