1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NYC! Advice, tips, and suggestions for visiting the big city this winter please

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ProForce, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dec 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM
    ProForce

ProForce [OP] IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Hello,

I will be traveling to the heart if New York City on January 4th 2013 and will be there for about 5 days with my girlfriend. Our main purpose of travel is it visit my mom in Massachusetts, but our stay in NYC will be our little mini vacation prior to all the family time up north.

I have been to NYC once before in January about 5 years ago, but only for a single day, and didn't really get to do much other than freeze my ass off. It sucked cuz I had no freakin clue what I was doing. This trip will be much more enjoyable and well planned out. I'll arrive by plane, have a hotel for 4 nights, then take the train to MA.

I am looking for advice anywhere I can get it:

Recommendations on things to see and/or visit.

Specific places to eat or check out. Any bars, clubs, restaurants, etc.

Places of interest.

What types of clothing to bring to stay warm.

Any items that are essential to my comfort/enjoyment that I may forget or not think about.

Best ways to get around (rental, cab, bus, subway, walk, etc)

Anything else that is a must see or do before I leave.

Weather is forecasted for about 39° daytime high and around 28° nighttime low. Unsure about rain/snow as its still a little too early to tell, but as of now, the chance of some rain and slush is probable.

Any suggestions, ideas, requests, assistance, etc is great. New airline restrictions limit your check-on baggage to under 63" (L+H+W) and 50lbs or else your charged $175 for oversize baggage. Normal check-on baggage is also no longer free... $25 for your first bag and $35 for a second bag (within the limits). Small carry on is still free. So with that said, I will be extremely limited on what I can bring since my heavy coats and shoes will quickly consume what little space I do have available.

Thanks in advance. Plenty of pictures to come (if anyone cares :rolleyes: )

2. Dec 26, 2012 at 4:05 AM
    bigef12

bigef12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4x4 V6
    Removed that stupid "Sport Bumper Trim"
    Ride the red double decker bus around the city. Grayling tours is the company. You can buy 48 hour hop on/off tickets. Three different loops to see the entire city and Brooklyn. I've only been in June (3 time, balls hot up there...) so packing wasn't an issue. Obviously take your girl ice skating at Rockefeller center. My favorite place to eat is Pig n Whistle on 3rd. It's a pub, and I don't drink, but they have awesome food. I get the Big Mahon.

There's also a "half price" ticket booth in Times Square for broadway shows. Not the biggest fan, but women like it.

3. Dec 26, 2012 at 4:07 AM
    bigef12

bigef12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4x4 V6
    Removed that stupid "Sport Bumper Trim"
    Or for transportation, you can get a Metro card (week pass) for the subway for $28.

4. Dec 26, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Carry a hard hat and tape measure so you fit in that way the locals don't eat you alive. Also bums are afraid of construction workers in most cases.

Otherwise regardless of where you're from you'll look like a tourist :D

5. Dec 26, 2012 at 4:50 AM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    One place I would recommend is http://www.jekyllpub.com/
    (turn down your speakers, there is some music on the home page)

6. Dec 26, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Heartland Brewery is close to Radio City Music Hall. Ellen's Stardust Diner is cool, the wait staff are basically auditioning for acting and singing gigs and walk around singing and putting on a show. Teuscher chocolate is a good idea too. They actually fly back their chocolate and truffles from Switzerland. Madame Tussaud's wax museum is cool too. You could take a horse and carriage ride if you wanted as well. FAO Schwarz has changed drastically since KB Toys bought it, IE: they don't do the show on the BIG Piano anymore which WAS cool to watch. That is all I can think of right now.

7. Dec 26, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Take your preferred headache medicine. I don't know what it is about that place but I always get a headache.

Personally, I'd avoid the Hard Rock's/Planet Hollywood/Large Franchise restaurants. Your really not missing anything. The best places to eat are the mom and pop delis/pizza places/diners.

Central Park zoo is nice. The Diamond District is pretty neat too. The Intrepid museum is also nice if you like aircraft. Definitely check out Ground Zero. Wall Street is right around the corner from there. You can also take a boat tour.

8. Dec 26, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    :rofl:

and look everybody directly in the eye's...freaks em out up there ;)

9. Dec 26, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    Phil5393

Phil5393 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Long Island, New York
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
  10. Dec 26, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA

That's good one, I'll have to remember that if I ever head up there again.

Kind of like if you come down south, put a Skoal can in your back pocket and wear some kind of work boots around.

11. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Great info everyone. Lots of helpful stuff and ideas here. Some of these things won't be feasible given the weather... like a boat ride would probably be miserable, although it was part of the plans if whether was better. Ice skating is for certain, we've been twice in LA, but doing that in Rockefeller Center or Central Park at the Trump rink has to be an awesome experience.

Love the hard hat and tape measure idea, its genius! Keep em coming everyone, great info!

12. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    FastEddie

FastEddie Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 super white access cab, base model
  13. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Don't go out and get shitfaced, leave the bar without your friends and get lost. I know someone who did that and it sucked...

<---this guy

14. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I never look into a bums eyes. Those people just ain't right.

I figured that out while lost in Atlanta one business trip. All the local hoods looking to scam a tourist were coming up to me left and right asking if I needed help, maps, girls, drugs, etc. When I got home I was wondering why no one in Philly ever asked me the same crap. I mean when I'm in the city I usually spend a day walking all over to job sites. Then I realized every time I'm walking in Philly I either have a tape measure and hard hat or some blue prints with me and no one ever messes with me. I actually get the opposite and lost tourists are asking me where to go.

Also if you smoke OP and someone comes up and asks you for a cig (even if your currently smoking) just tell them you don't smoke. Seems to screw them up and by the time they put 2 and 2 together your 1/2 a block away.

15. Dec 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    was a joke, that's how they tell you ante from there :cool: Nobody looks at nobody in the city....weird.

16. Dec 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Hahaha that must have sucked! Good thing i have no plans to get shit faced. That place it too crazy to be drunk in. Besides, it would ruin my trip pretty bad if the next day while trying to enjoy my time walking about the city, I had to find a restroom every 30 minutes cuz my hangover gave me the alcohol shits :eek:

Good thing i don't smoke, but this almost makes me wish I did so I could pull this on someone :rofl:

17. Dec 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    ground zero is a must.....
    not sure whats left of lower Manhattan after sandy tho....
    travel by cab..a lil $$$ but well worth the hassle

18. Dec 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Stop in new haven on your ride to mass and get some pizza from pepe's. so good. That would be a pretty long walk from the train station, the cab fare would be worth it

19. Dec 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Bump for more ideas :)

20. Dec 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Empire state building and boat ride to statue of liberty. I have never been there but those are two things I would for sure do, as well as the 9/11 memorial.

To Top