1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Travel Tips and Advice to Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ADCarter1, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apr 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    ADCarter1

ADCarter1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Maryland's Beautiful Farm Country
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    My husband and I are planning a road trip from Maryland to Newfoundland this summer. We plan on taking three weeks and driving up the East Coast, through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. We also plan on visiting St. Pierre and Miquelon, the last French dependencies in the north Atlantic.

Anyone out there been to Newfoundland? Got any must see places? Tips? Neat Places to stay? Beautiful drives?

I have the travel guides and maps and all that jazz but wondered if anyone had any first hand insights. Thanks!

2. Apr 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Kiss a cod and go to Cape Spear

3. Apr 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    ADCarter1

ADCarter1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denise
    Maryland's Beautiful Farm Country
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5
    And be screeched in?

4. Apr 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Of course

5. Apr 17, 2013 at 5:05 AM
    mike1yis

mike1yis New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Newfoundland
    I live in Newfoundland, I would recommend the following:

Icebergs are starting to come in, go on an iceberg tour (http://icebergquest.com/). Also check out: http://www.icebergfinder.com/

The drive through Humber Valley (near Corner Brook) is beautiful. There are really nice lodges you can rent for a somewhat reasonable rate. (Humber Valley Resort).

Gros Morne national park is nice although I've never been! Google it.

Terra Nova National Park is also very nice.

Salmon Fest is in the summer time. (http://www.salmonfestival.com/)

Lots and lots of good restaurants in St. John's, too many to list.

St. Pierre could be nice although I've never been.

There's a nice historical site called "Castle Hill" out near a town called Placentia. I think it's near where you will get the ferry for St. Pierre so might be worth a day trip if you're into that sorta thing.

Stan Cook Sea Kayaking is really fun.

Local delicacy is fish and chips, my favorite place is called "By the Bay" near Portugal Cove. Another great place is called "The Captain's Table" which you would pass on your way back from Sea Kayaking. People will try to tell you to go to Ches' Fish and Chips, they've been around for a very long time, but they're not the best in my opinion..

Newfoundland has some nice local beers, Quidi Vidi Ice Berg Beer is very good. They also make a IPA which is pretty good. Yellow Belly Brewery and Pub is on Water Street in St. John's, definitely go there for a meal if you're in town.

Night life is great on George Street.

There are lots of nice shops and boutiques on Water Street in St. John's.

Go visit Signal Hill and Cape Spear, can probably do both all in one day. Even if you only go for 30 minutes you can get some really nice photos. Stay all day if you want to hike around the trails.

If you're into Hiking the East Coast Trail is really excellent. Maps can be obtained from "The Outfitters" on Water Street.

Most of the stuff I've been listing is on or near the Avalon peninsula, but if you google Corner Brook tourism I'm sure you'll find more to do over on the west coast.

If you have any other questions let me know I can try to help!

To Top