Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

Old man wants to buy a newer Tundra and when I say newer...

Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
I thought you had a newer tundra. There was a pic in your build thread with your tacoma on a trailer and a tundra pulling the trailer.
Mine:

Second gen with bro-lift is my brother-in-law's truck:

Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #23
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Mine:

Second gen with bro-lift is my brother-in-law's truck:

Your bro-in-law had a nice tundra!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
bump
And to answer your OP, if he gets a 1st gen, get an 05 or 06. Those are the only two years that came with VVT-i and a 5 speed transmission(instead of 4 speed). Personally I don't like the way the second gen's look on the outside, but the interior is LUSH. First gen doesn't have the frills or electronics like the 07+ has either.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #25

Quote:
And to answer your OP, if he gets a 1st gen, get an 05 or 06. Those are the only two years that came with VVT-i and a 5 speed transmission(instead of 4 speed). Personally I don't like the way the second gen's look on the outside, but the interior is LUSH. First gen doesn't have the frills or electronics like the 07+ has either.

Same goes with the 1st gen tacomas as far as electronics go.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has a 07 Tundra, first problem was the e-brake was wayyyy to tight when he first drove it home the brakes were glowing!

4.7, doubecab, SR5 Model with tow package I believe, works great for us.

Still under 50k miles
Old 02-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #27

bump
Old 02-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

when did they drop the 4.7 for the 4.6? I know they still have the 5.7 but curious, something to consider.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
when did they drop the 4.7 for the 4.6? I know they still have the 5.7 but curious, something to consider.
Second gens offer both the 5.7 and 4.6.
Early first gen's offered the 4.7 (2uz) and 3.4 (5vz). The replaced the 3.4 with the 4.0 when the second gen tacoma's came out and used that motor for the v6 option.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
AK SnowroxKT

Quote:
Second gens offer both the 5.7 and 4.6.
Early first gen's offered the 4.7 (2uz) and 3.4 (5vz). The replaced the 3.4 with the 4.0 when the second gen tacoma's came out and used that motor for the v6 option.
Early second gens have the 4.7 as well, for at least '07
Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
Early second gens have the 4.7 as well, for at least '07
Ahh correct. I forgot about that.
They also offered the 4.0 v6 as well.

Also I don't think they offer an access cab in the second gens.
Just regular cab, double cab, and crew max.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #32
AK SnowroxKT

Quote:
Ahh correct. I forgot about that.
They also offered the 4.0 v6 as well.

Also I don't think they offer an access cab in the second gens.
Just regular cab, double cab, and crew max.
Correct. No access cabs.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #33
Mr Jackboots
gran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shedgran torino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gran torino's Tacoma Gallery
A few of the first 07 Tundras had an issue with the camshaft, aside from that I would say they are as solid as a Tacoma. I own a 07 Taco and a 2010 Tundra, both are great trucks.

He should definately get the newer one they are much more refined and the 381 Horsepower engine has got to be more fun to drive.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gran torino View Post
A few of the first 07 Tundras had an issue with the camshaft, aside from that I would say they are as solid as a Tacoma. I own a 07 Taco and a 2010 Tundra, both are great trucks.

He should definately get the newer one they are much more refined and the 381 Horsepower engine has got to be more fun to drive.
Nice, after he buys his tundra I am going to slap full exhaust and CAI on the truck. That is only if he lets me drive it around town.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #35
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
My Mom has an '03 Sequioa with the 4.7, she bought it new and now its got close to 130K on it. Only issues shes had is with a brake light that comes on randomly and the gas tank floater, other than that its a beast. Drives and looks brand new too.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #36
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure its one built after 2010. If you want a model with the towing package, toyota redesigned a new type of transmission cooler and it isnt just a small one on the passenger side. It actually is bigger now.

The first two pictures are the new design, the bottom one is the original design

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...tml#post433070
Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #37
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I will add is that if he buys used, a 2007-2008 is going to have the issues worked out by now. That's if there were issues with it at all, as others here have suggested.

If he does go with a first gen Tundra, do some research on transmission issues. It seems like I read something somewhere about the Tundra and 4Runners having auto trans issues somewhere around 2001.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #38
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I haz....

1st gen DC

That truck is sic! Never have driven one, but I think that's one of the best looking trucks Toyota ever made.

Second gen Tundra extended cab is pretty nice looking too.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #39
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Zach there's a 97 T-100 6 cylinder with only 90k on it with 4x4 for sale on the Bethany skyline intersection. He only wants $5000 for it. Maybe your dad might be interested in that. Super reliable (same engine as your truck) and looks clean.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Zach there's a 97 T-100 6 cylinder with only 90k on it with 4x4 for sale on the Bethany skyline intersection. He only wants $5000 for it. Maybe your dad might be interested in that. Super reliable (same engine as your truck) and looks clean.
Nope, he wants the newer body style.