1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

comparing tundra 4x4 with ford f series

Discussion in 'Tundras' started by sunflower, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Rear drum brakes are supposed to work better when you are towing.

2. Oct 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/brakes-drum-vs-disc.html

Disc Brakes
    Though disc brakes rely on the same basic principles to slow a vehicle (friction and heat), their design is far superior to that of drum brakes. Instead of housing the major components within a metal drum, disc brakes use a slim rotor and small caliper to halt wheel movement. Within the caliper are two brake pads, one on each side of the rotor, that clamp together when the brake pedal is pressed. Once again, fluid is used to transfer the movement of the brake pedal into the movement of the brake pads.
    But unlike drum brakes, which allow heat to build up inside the drum during heavy braking, the rotor used in disc brakes is fully exposed to outside air. This exposure works to constantly cool the rotor, greatly reducing its tendency to overheat or cause fading. Not surprisingly, it was under racing circumstances that the weaknesses of drum brakes and the strengths of disc brakes were first illustrated. Racers with disc brake systems could carry their speed "deeper" into a corner and apply greater braking force at the last possible second without overheating the components. Eventually, as with so many other automotive advances, this technology filtered down to the cars driven by everyday people on public roads

IMO I'm buying a new truck that can tow 8K+ I want to have the latest technology to stop all that weight. For a tacoma, sure it's fine but you are talking about some serious weight being towed by the new half tons.

Any way shape or form disc brakes are far superior to drum brakes hands down and yes disc brakes look better behind any bro wheels.

Also, if it is such and awesome idea to have drums why is it that only GM puts this out dated technology on their half tons? I know.... to save the consumer 300 bucks.

3. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Used to be a Ford guy all the way, but with their reliability and blowing up issues, they've kinda lost me as a follower. Now I just piddle with my Tacos and my Honda Civic and CRX's.

4. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    just saw that hahaha

5. Dec 30, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    Swain

Swain New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    West by god Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Rock Warrior
    I had my Tundra parked next to my uncles 2500 gmc and my others uncles F250 it was the same size Side by side! Only difference was the tire size they both have 20in compared to my 17in!

6. Jan 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    chart92

chart92 Hailstate!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    McChord AFB, WA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Corolla S
    I will go Toyota any day of the week. Not hating on Ford; good trucks, but I will always be a Toyota guy. I've got to say I have some power under that right foot with the 5.7 Flex Fuel 4x4. Yes, you read right FLEX. I average about 15-16 in the city when I'm not pedal to the floor cause I hate how people driv in the NW. On the highway I average 18-20 with 33 MT. I'll also say that's running premium octane in it.

7. Jan 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    The problem with Tundras is the lack of payload. I looked at a Tundra double cab and it only had about 1400 lbs payload. The F250 will have well over 2000 lbs. A F150 with Ecoboost properly equipped can also have over 2000 lbs payload. That may or may not be an issue. It would depend on the tongue weight of the trailers, weight of occupants and other gear being hauled.

8. Jan 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    chart92

chart92 Hailstate!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    McChord AFB, WA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Corolla S
    Man I shit you not I moved from the Mississippi Gulf Coast to Tacoma, WA (2800mi) pulled 8500Ibs with no problem and only spent $600 using the premium gas. I for one am proud of my Tundra. Couldnt tell you crap about payload only had bout 750Ibs in the back of it with the hard top on it.

9. Jan 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    i would go with the Tundra if it fits his needs. They have good towing capacity, just very low payload. The low payload is an issue with most 1/2 pickups. Rams have even less.

To Top