Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

Thoughts on Buying First Gen?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Pyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyramidsurf is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Aircrew, Pilot in Training
Pyramidsurf's Tacoma Gallery
Thoughts on Buying First Gen?

What do you guys think of the 1st generations? I've hit a career change in life and sold my FJ to my brother to cut back on the car payments. I want to get something cheaper to drive for a few years before I get something nice.

I'm looking at a 2002 Tundra Limited. It has a TRD Supercharger, headers, cat back exhaust (everything was installed from the dealer), all leather, tow package, 2wd (I don't want 4wd). Everything on it works fine and the owner supposedly has all the paperwork for the work done on it. It has 168K on it. He's asking 7500 obo.

Do you guys think it's worth the price? What would you guys offer?

The mileage doesn't worry me too much (it's a Yota) but I don't want to be doing all sorts of work on my truck every weekend. I expect to drive it for a few years and upgrade to something nicer eventually. I don't expect to tow very much, and would use it for the basic light duty truck. I can't seem to find a first gen Taco in good shape for a decent price so I'm checking this out. Is it unreasonable to expect some good years of service from the truck?

Going to look at it this weekend. Anything I should be on the lookout for?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Any place is comfortable if you make it that way
montes6173 is a jewel in the roughmontes6173 is a jewel in the roughmontes6173 is a jewel in the rough

Marines: Sgt. CH-53E Mech/Crew Chief
Name: Christopher
montes6173's Tacoma Gallery
It seems like a good deal. I have a 05 and when I got it, it had around 70,000. Since then I'm up to 130,000 ish and it still runs great. It a good truck not to big and not to small.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Besides the old Tundras being kind of fugly, should be a good buy. I'd offer him 7 grand out the door, see if he bites. Then again, I'm a cheapskate and I don't need a car, so it's up to you.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
i like the first gen tundras, just not the stepside, and if it has a SC v8, well
Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
I owned a 2000 trd 4x4 with 225k miles on it and it ran &drove like it had 50k on it. Now like with every vehicle its all about how it was maintanced in the past but if it has good records and with that mod list, I'd jump on it in a second for that price. Heck, the S/C itself isnt sold by toyota anymore so thats about 30-40% of the asking price right there. Just check the frame for rust and the ecu for any dtc codes. They are known for having o2 sensors to go bad aswell. Other than that they are very solid trucks. Just a touch bigger than the 2g tacos.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
PyroZuki is on a distinguished road

Name: Pyro
PyroZuki's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the 1st gen Tundras, although, I would opt for the 4.6 over the 4.7, as the 4.6 has a timing chain, rather than a belt. If I didn't need a Tundra for towin my rock crawler, I would have got a 1st gen instead of my 2nd.

Pyro