1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on Buying First Gen?

Discussion in 'Tundras' started by Pyramidsurf, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Jul 19, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    Pyramidsurf

Pyramidsurf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 3" OME
    What do you guys think of the 1st generations? I've hit a career change in life and sold my FJ to my brother to cut back on the car payments. I want to get something cheaper to drive for a few years before I get something nice.

I'm looking at a 2002 Tundra Limited. It has a TRD Supercharger, headers, cat back exhaust (everything was installed from the dealer), all leather, tow package, 2wd (I don't want 4wd). Everything on it works fine and the owner supposedly has all the paperwork for the work done on it. It has 168K on it. He's asking 7500 obo.

Do you guys think it's worth the price? What would you guys offer?

The mileage doesn't worry me too much (it's a Yota) but I don't want to be doing all sorts of work on my truck every weekend. I expect to drive it for a few years and upgrade to something nicer eventually. I don't expect to tow very much, and would use it for the basic light duty truck. I can't seem to find a first gen Taco in good shape for a decent price so I'm checking this out. Is it unreasonable to expect some good years of service from the truck?

Going to look at it this weekend. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

2. Jul 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    montes6173

montes6173 Any place is comfortable if you make it that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Black Western Bull Bar, Avid Off-Road Side Steps, Truxedo Tonneau Covers(OFF), Painted Badges and Grill Black, Removed Mud Flaps, Bestop Supertop(ON), Diff breather mod, plastic-dip lower valance and rear bumper.
    It seems like a good deal. I have a 05 and when I got it, it had around 70,000. Since then I'm up to 130,000 ish and it still runs great. It a good truck not to big and not to small.

3. Jul 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    IronCladTRD

IronCladTRD Consistently Irregular

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    Besides the old Tundras being kind of fugly, should be a good buy. I'd offer him 7 grand out the door, see if he bites. Then again, I'm a cheapskate and I don't need a car, so it's up to you.

4. Jul 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    i like the first gen tundras, just not the stepside, and if it has a SC v8, well :burnrubber:

5. Jul 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    I owned a 2000 trd 4x4 with 225k miles on it and it ran &drove like it had 50k on it. Now like with every vehicle its all about how it was maintanced in the past but if it has good records and with that mod list, I'd jump on it in a second for that price. Heck, the S/C itself isnt sold by toyota anymore so thats about 30-40% of the asking price right there. Just check the frame for rust and the ecu for any dtc codes. They are known for having o2 sensors to go bad aswell. Other than that they are very solid trucks. Just a touch bigger than the 2g tacos.

6. Aug 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    PyroZuki

PyroZuki New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pyro
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    86Runner 86Sami 88Runner 99Runner 08Tundra
    I really like the 1st gen Tundras, although, I would opt for the 4.6 over the 4.7, as the 4.6 has a timing chain, rather than a belt. If I didn't need a Tundra for towin my rock crawler, I would have got a 1st gen instead of my 2nd.

Pyro

To Top