1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra VS F150?

Discussion in 'Tundras' started by Spruced UP, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sep 14, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    Spruced UP

Spruced UP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB PreRunner TRD Sport, Spruce Mica
    Hi folks,

I've been considering getting a new Taco at some point next year, once I save up the cash to do so. But, between now and then, I have had plenty of time to think about that consideration. Before mostly deciding on a Taco, I also considered getting a full-size truck. I'm sort of a Ford guy, having driven more Fords than any other make in my lifetime. I currently drive an '05 Ford Escape 4WD, and it has been a great vehicle. I have over 180k miles on the clock and hope to get another 15-20k between now and the time I get another ride. It's time for me to have a truck, though.

Looking at the prices for used Tundras, it makes the purchase of a new Taco really tough. I know there's little to compare between the 2 vehicles, aside from the Toyota badge, but if I want the Toyota reliability in a bigger truck, why not the Tundra? Used '05-06 Tundra's with less than 75k can easily be had for well under $20k. (from what I read here, the '05-06 Tundra is the most recommended years, right?)

Then, back to the Ford side of me, how does the F150 compare to the Tundra? Is the Ford V8, either the 4.6l or the 5.4l, a comparable engine to to the 4.7l that can be found in the '05-06 Tundra?

Any thoughts here?

2. Sep 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    tractng

tractng Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey there. From reading your post, it looks like you are going to buy used?

I bought my taco about 7 months ago (2012 taco) and very happy. It handles really well (almost sports car like). I am getting about 19 mpg on a v6.

If you plan to tow a lot, get a full size truck. Right now, I kind of wish I had gone the tundra route since I am pulling a 4k+ trailer. I do like the current F150 but I am not sure about the quality, etc. We owned a dodge plymouth back in the 80s that had a lot of problems. You can get a 07+ tundra around 20K.

3. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    Spruced UP

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    I really could go either way. Originally, I was planning to buy a new Taco. I'm currently saving money to pay cash, when I do make the purchase. But, at the same time, I'm looking at the lack of improvement in our economy, so I'm starting to lean towards a used purchase. Because the Taco "holds its value" so well, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a gently used Taco, when I can find an '05-'06 Tundra, for much less. Then, that led me to the F150/Tundra comparison.

I was searching Cars.com over the weekend and found an '06 Tundra for right at $15.5k that has only 38,000 miles on it!! The body of the '06 is kinda boring, and this one is all white, but for those miles and the price, I could do a few things to spice it up. I even considering taking whatever I purchase to Toyota and have them paint it Spruce Mica. (that's my ideal color. I LOVE that color!) This particular Tundra only has the 4.0L V-6, but heck, I'm really not gonna be towing anything and any payload I have will barely touch it's capacity. I'll even get a little better fuel economy than the V-8.

Anyway, hope that explains my position a little better.

4. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    Spruced UP

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    :eek: I know. I'm sorry. I read a whole bunch of these types of threads on a few Ford forums, too, and the Tundra gets very little love.

5. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I really don't think you can go wrong with any full sized truck now adays. Flip a coin.

6. Sep 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    hahaha *Cough* Dodge.

7. Sep 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Lol. The new fords look great. The 4.0 v6 tundra is a bit weak i think.

8. Sep 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I actually agree with Large, the manufacturers have really gotten their act together. Have you riden in or driven a new Dodge? They cleaned up and the new ones are actually pretty decent. A few co-workers and my cousin have Ram 1500's and haven't had any problems so far. They also ride very smooth and have good power. (and I'm someone who absolutely hated Dodge trucks for about the last decade)

9. Sep 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    stokes.greg

stokes.greg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Crew
    None yet. Bed cover, brush guard, leveling kit coming soon.
    I really like my Tacoma, but some time around next September it's gonna turn into to a F150 I just need the room, unless someone wants it now. Dad has a king ranch with a Eco boost getting 20 mpg with tons of power. He pulls our 30 horse tractor no problem.
    Today I was bored and built one of each online (ford Chevy dodge Toyota) tundra was cheapest then ford and it had the most options.

10. Sep 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    FX4 F150 with Eco Boost.

11. Sep 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC
    I just bought a 2012 Taco and Im extremely impressed with it thus far however, the new F150 is no joke both the new 5.0 and 6.2L motors are impressive and the trucks look great as well, both inside and out. Ford has really gotten their shit together lately.

12. Sep 19, 2012 at 2:26 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    I had a 05 Tundra double cab I special ordered from the dealership and recently sold it. Only reason I sold it was I knew right now was the best time since it had such good resale and clean used trucks are in high demand. I absolutely loved that truck. Perfect size and also had the v8. When I sold it I decided to go with a 2012 tacoma because the used tacomas were almost as much and with the money I made off my Tundra was able to have a new tacoma paid off in full. Also I think the newer Tundras are a lil on the ugly side. The new tacoma is nice but I still miss my Tundra. If toyota had not made the newer tundra so big and done a better job on making the making it look better I def would have gone with a new Tundra.

13. Sep 19, 2012 at 2:43 AM
    ShawnR

ShawnR Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    I worked at a company that ran fuel economy numbers on new vehicles before they came to market.
    I worked on the new 2007 Tundra when the new design was being tested.
    For quality, I believe the Tundra is top notch. The engineers from Toyota were there, and they told me how they went to junkyards looking at old Chevy and Ford and Dodge pickups and looked to see what finally put them in the junkyard, and those parts they beefed up on their truck.
    Take a look at a Tundra rubber hose compared to a Ford rubber hose. The quality of the Toyota hose shows that it isn't going to fail catastrophically.
    When Ford and Chevy and Dodge were upset that foreign imports were doing better here, they took apart Toyota engines and declared there was no difference in quality between their engines and Toyota. Trouble was, their equipment couldn't even measure the fact that Toyota engine's specs were MUCH tighter than theirs.
    If you want insight into how our domestic auto manufacturers are run, read Lee Iaccoca's book about how he had to work for Henry Ford.
    Look at the resale values of Tundras to Fords, Dodges and Chevy's.
    They hold their value, because users know they will likely hold up for the long run.
    These are just my opinions, and everybody has one, so listen to everyone's thoughts, and then make up your own mind.:)

14. Sep 19, 2012 at 4:03 AM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    There are good looking newer tundras out there, I sat in a crewmax tundra and if you dont need the bed space I'd go with that, crazy amount of room I was impressed. If I ever need the towing capacity I'm going with a tundra or (dare I say it) a Nissan Titan .

15. Sep 19, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    http://www.cargurus.com/ best car shopping website ever. it takes an instant market value of each vehicle and list it in order of how good a deal it is, instead of simply low to high. you should be able to narrow the catagories down to say taco tundra and f-150 then put in ur zip and how far u would go and it does everything else. i found my wifes 07 rav4 on there. wound up gettin it for 12,500 and it booked for around 15k so i thought it was a pretty good deal. it takes mileage and level of trim and fetures into consideration and i thought wad extremely helpfully and a cool feature.

16. Sep 19, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I have owned both. I loved my F150 Supercrew (I loved the dash and bedspace options) but I'll have to hand it to the Tundra Crewmax, more interior space (by far--damn thing has a monstrous interior), feels more solid and comfortable to me, and as far as towing, no comparison in my opinion. Can you say Torque?!! Now, Tundras aren't for everyone and I get that but you will get more truck for a comparable price. As far as fuel efficiency goes, the 5.7 does pretty well for such a big truck (I can't imagine having the 6 cyl) and I have no complaints so far--of course, once we hit $5 a gallon, I may be of a different opinion.

You can't go wrong with either truck. Both exeptionally well built and reliable.

To Top