Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

"Test driving" a Tundra for a few days

Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: '90-96
Name: Eric
Spruced UP's Tacoma Gallery
"Test driving" a Tundra for a few days

Hi all:

I had to take my '05 Ford Escape to the service shop last night, due to some engine troubles. They called this morning with an update, basically telling me the engine is shot because they found metal shavings in the engine oil. Still waiting for some pricing on a replacement engine, but it's doubtful I'm going to do that.

In the interim, I'm borrowing a friend's '02 Tundra Extended Cab. I thought he had the V8 in it, but I popped the hood this morning and saw the 3400 label on it. I'm actually happy about this, because in my early searches for an '05-06 replacement, the 4.0L V6 option has come up with a few of the trucks I've found for sale. Having my friend's V6 to tool around in for a few days will give me a good idea of what to expect from a 4 liter. I don't do any towing, and wouldn't have any really heavy loads for the bed, so practically speaking, the 4-liter engine should be plenty for me.

There's a dealer near Daytona that has an '06 with the 4-liter with only 38k miles for just shy of $16k. Then, there's another dealer local to me with the same truck for $14k, but has 79k miles on it. For the extra 2K, I wonder if it's worth driving the ~100 miles away to get the lower mileage ride. Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I'd probably go for the lower mileage vehicle since it's only 2k more for half the mileage.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I'd probably go for the lower mileage vehicle since it's only 2k more for half the mileage.
I agree. Assuming the truck cost about $25K new and you'll get 250K miles out of it, 40K miles is probably worth about $4K. I know that is simple math, but that's about 3 years of normal driving for pretty cheap.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Oh well, the lower mileage Tundra is already sold. Guess I'll be saving the $2k to get the higher mileage one. :haha:
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Change of plans, thus far. After thinking about it more, and getting another day in my friend's Tundra, I've decided to just go with a new Taco. It's what I really wanted anyway, so hopefully I can pull it all together, financing-wise.

Thank you for everyone's help and input!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruced UP View Post
Change of plans, thus far. After thinking about it more, and getting another day in my friend's Tundra, I've decided to just go with a new Taco. It's what I really wanted anyway, so hopefully I can pull it all together, financing-wise.

Thank you for everyone's help and input!
You won't regret it.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Seņor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota is trying to move the 2012's out. I just saw a commercial this morning offering $500 cash back on 2012 Tacoma's.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Toyota is trying to move the 2012's out. I just saw a commercial this morning offering $500 cash back on 2012 Tacoma's.
2013 is what I'm getting. I'm stuck on Spruce Mica DCLB.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Seņor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruced UP View Post
2013 is what I'm getting. I'm stuck on Spruce Mica DCLB.
Nice choice in color though 2012 and 13 are identical, why not get the cheaper one?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Nice choice in color though 2012 and 13 are identical, why not get the cheaper one?
Maybe he can't find any remaining 2012s in the combo he wants.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Maybe he can't find any remaining 2012s in the combo he wants.
This. Spruce Mica is very rare in this area.