Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

Tundra to haul the Tacoma

Old 11-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra to haul the Tacoma

Well some of you may know my Tacoma will pretty much not be street legal and most importantly have no usable bed space whatsoever. Im going to need something that will be capable of towing my truck on a flatbed. Also need a bed (the original reason i bought my tacoma )

So Im in the market for a full size truck. As much as a diesel would be nice I really don't want a massive bro-dozer. Im thinking a 5.7L 4x4 Tundra will do the trick. What do you guys think? I know everyone will say if you are going to tow get a diesel but i'm leaning away from them. Will a Tundra handle towing 10K lbs? Its not going to be hauling every day and it might turn out to be my DD will probably haul once every 2 weeks or so and probably not more than 100 miles each way.

Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
It will probably be able to. The specs I found were 6600/8100 non tow package/ tow package. I am sure there are ways to increase it though
Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
if it can pull an airplane, should be able to tow the tacoma..
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
You spelled space shuttle wrong. I could barely keep up with a tundra hauling a fully armored first gen when we went to moab this year. You'll be fine.
Haha,

definitely would like to keep it in the Toyota family. 10K is definitely being safe, my truck at the most will weigh 6K plus trailer.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
DSYLEXC is on a distinguished road
DSYLEXC's Tacoma Gallery
The 5.7 Tundra is a beast. Gas mileage sucks big time, then with your trailer your gonna be lucky to get 10 mpg.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYLEXC View Post
The 5.7 Tundra is a beast. Gas mileage sucks big time, then with your trailer your gonna be lucky to get 10 mpg.
If i was worried about gas mileage i would get a prius. Thats what I have a GF that has a civic lol. My truck get 14mpg right now. I think the Tundra will be an upgrade in that department.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
DSYLEXC is on a distinguished road
DSYLEXC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
If i was worried about gas mileage i would get a prius. Thats what I have a GF that has a civic lol. My truck get 14mpg right now. I think the Tundra will be an upgrade in that department.
More power to you. I didn't care about the crappy mileage I got either. Then one day for no reason, it's like a switch flipped, it got old paying for it. Still an awesome truck, but I like my new Tacoma just the same. Easier to park in crowded parking lots too.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
RAM 1500 would be a nice choice
Old 11-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
RAM 1500 would be a nice choice

GTFO, thats a disposable truck. good for 20k then POS.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #10
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
GTFO, thats a disposable truck. good for 20k then POS.
I agree
Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
when's the last time you got in a brand new Ram? they use a strong motor that they have used for years, and the interior blows the tundra away.

2013's have a built in leveling system, that gives a total difference of 4'' in ride height at the turn of a knob, automatic grille shutters for optimal engine bay temperature and aerodynamics, and a new feature that shuts the motor off when you come to a stop to save on fuel, as soon as you release the brake pedal it starts back up. you're right about the pre-2008 ram's, but you have obviously not been in one since then.

good for 20k? they have warranty for 100k.....
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
i was thinking of picking up an old diesel ford to tow my truck to dez. they're super cheap on clist.. if i could find a trailer, i'd so buy one.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
when's the last time you got in a brand new Ram? they use a strong motor that they have used for years, and the interior blows the tundra away.

2013's have a built in leveling system, that gives a total difference of 4'' in ride height at the turn of a knob, automatic grille shutters for optimal engine bay temperature and aerodynamics, and a new feature that shuts the motor off when you come to a stop to save on fuel, as soon as you release the brake pedal it starts back up. you're right about the pre-2008 ram's, but you have obviously not been in one since then.

good for 20k? they have warranty for 100k.....
X2 they are pretty nice and the Hemi is really standing the test of time.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I would def recommend a Ram 2500 Cummins diesel. You can't ignore the torque from a diesel.

I know you want to keep it in the Toyota family, but a diesel would be a better option, power, mpgs, comfort, price, ease of towing, more aftermarket power accessories and towing accessories, etc...
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #15

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
YES! Cummins is ridiculous. it's been around for 91 years, it's used in big rigs, locomotives, and you can get it in a personal truck... thats awesome!

Inline 6 ftw
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Having driven a 2012 Dodge Ram for my company vehicle, a 2010 Tundra and a 2010 Ford F250, I'd have to say Tundra comes in a far third place finish on ride comfort.

If I were you, I'd find a 2004-2009 range domestic pickup and install bags. You'll save thousands and have a truck more capable for your needs.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #17
The Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
The Raisin's Tacoma Gallery
I tow my Taco with my Tundra all the time The Taco on the trailer weighs in at just under 6k. With the 5.7 and tow package it tows and stops with ease. Towed a Taco to Moab last year from Seattle and averaged 10.5 mpg. Pulls passes like there not there. If your not towing more than 10k everyday I highly suggest a Tundra.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #18
.45%er

Army:
tundra and swap cummins in and post pics please
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
tundra and swap cummins in and post pics please
Lol I have too much money into the taco to do that. Would be bad ass tho.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
Hailstate!
chart92 is a glorious beacon of lightchart92 is a glorious beacon of lightchart92 is a glorious beacon of lightchart92 is a glorious beacon of lightchart92 is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force:
Name: Cody
chart92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Well some of you may know my Tacoma will pretty much not be street legal and most importantly have no usable bed space whatsoever. Im going to need something that will be capable of towing my truck on a flatbed. Also need a bed (the original reason i bought my tacoma )

So Im in the market for a full size truck. As much as a diesel would be nice I really don't want a massive bro-dozer. Im thinking a 5.7L 4x4 Tundra will do the trick. What do you guys think? I know everyone will say if you are going to tow get a diesel but i'm leaning away from them. Will a Tundra handle towing 10K lbs? Its not going to be hauling every day and it might turn out to be my DD will probably haul once every 2 weeks or so and probably not more than 100 miles each way.

Thoughts?

I got rid of my taco to move up to seattle from the Mississippi Gulf Coast (3k miles roughly). My trailer weighed in at 7500Ibs. Spent roughly $500 in gas. Quite frankly I dont think thats a lot of gas. It is the 5.7 w/ tow package. Not once did I use cruise. Just the slap stick (what i call it anyways). I have ridden in a f250 and my popps owns a ram (POS) the F250 is just going to cost a bit and to find one in diesel that doesnt have a lot of miles. Good Luck with your search. Love the pulling power and the comfort of the Tundra, but will forever miss my Tacoma. Tundra will be gone ASAP to be replaced by a Tacoma.