Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

1st-gen Tundra Access Cab owners, I have questions

Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Gun Toting Gearhead
0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed0uTkAsT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
0uTkAsT's Tacoma Gallery
1st-gen Tundra Access Cab owners, I have questions

Hi guys,

My wife and I are having a baby soon and we both have single cab Tacomas. Obviously, that's not going to work for long. We've pretty much decided on trading her 1st gen Taco for a 2nd gen RAV4, but I'm still up in the air on what I want after my truck sells. I'm a fan of the 1st gen Tundras, but I don't really need a full-size truck (I don't tow or haul anything to speak of) and I'm worried about a few things...

How is the visibility and ease of parking the Tundras? I'd like to keep all bodywork intact in case the wife decides to take it to Costco, and after riding with her briefly in a 4-door F150, I'm certain it pretty much needs to turn like a mid-size truck or it will come home missing body panels.

How useful is the back seating area in the real world? It looks roomy enough just by looking at it but we will need to have a car seat, baby gear, and possibly groceries and other miscellaneous shit crammed in back there. Is the Access Cab going to be roomy enough or should I be looking more at a true 4-door pickup?

I've never had a vehicle with "suicide doors" before... is that a pain in the ass in tight parking lots and such or is it no different than any other door arrangement?

Are there any things to watch out for when buying a 1st gen Tundra? Recalls, TSBs, certain things that tend to wear out faster than others, etc?

We're hoping to find two vehicles that suit us well and are practical that will last many years as our family grows so I really appreciate honest replies! Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
My friend has a first gen. crew cab TRD tundra. It's great off-road, extremely comfortable on long trips and very spacious inside. the only downside is it gets 14-15 mpg.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
I've ridden in my buddy's first gen access cab, and even though the doors open up, there's not much room back there...I'm 5'10" and it was tight for me. Idk if a childseat would fit back there, but it would probably be fine for young children.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Sohum63 is on a distinguished road
Sohum63's Tacoma Gallery
I love my '02 4wd. Turns very well as far as u turns fir it's size witch is not huge and gives good visibility. Using the mirrors you can maneuver quite well. Back seat is small but good for storing stuff the back is vertical witch makes it uncomfortable foe a normal person for a long time more than the size I think, if you can fit a car seat back there I think it would work. Biggest problem with the suicide door in back is if parked right next to somebody and both doors are open it is hard to reach a shopping cart but this never seams to be a problem for me and I like being able to open both doors and have a clear opening for cleaning out and unloading. It is hard to say, but not many things I normally carry in front don't fit on the back seat so I think it is plenty roomy and I like the access cab doors. I have had people mention that it felt big to drive but they were coming from a 2 door car so anything would feel large but it is still very nimble feeling for what it is.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
I sent a link to this thread to a buddy of mine who has one. His responses are in red. Hope this helps-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
Hi guys,

My wife and I are having a baby soon and we both have single cab Tacomas. Obviously, that's not going to work for long. We've pretty much decided on trading her 1st gen Taco for a 2nd gen RAV4, but I'm still up in the air on what I want after my truck sells. I'm a fan of the 1st gen Tundras, but I don't really need a full-size truck (I don't tow or haul anything to speak of) and I'm worried about a few things...

How is the visibility and ease of parking the Tundras? It is a non issue as they have plenty of visibility. I'd like to keep all bodywork intact in case the wife decides to take it to Costco, and after riding with her briefly in a 4-door F150, I'm certain it pretty much needs to turn like a mid-size truck or it will come home missing body panels. Turns smoothly so that should not be an issue.

How useful is the back seating area in the real world? It looks roomy enough just by looking at it but we will need to have a car seat, baby gear, and possibly groceries and other miscellaneous shit crammed in back there. Is the Access Cab going to be roomy enough or should I be looking more at a true 4-door pickup? The doors are personal preference, I have no complaints with mine and the back seat is a very usable space. Even passengers don't seem to mind.

I've never had a vehicle with "suicide doors" before... is that a pain in the ass in tight parking lots and such or is it no different than any other door arrangement? No problem what so ever.

Are there any things to watch out for when buying a 1st gen Tundra? Recalls, TSBs, certain things that tend to wear out faster than others, etc? The starter is under the intake manifold and is no fun to repair/replace!

We're hoping to find two vehicles that suit us well and are practical that will last many years as our family grows so I really appreciate honest replies! Thanks

One other thing to look out for, there was a recall for rust on the frame and more specifically the plate that holds the spare tire in place (at the end of the cable) mine was fine but apparently not everyone was so lucky