View Poll Results: Like the new scoop?
I LOVE it! 21 6.82%
I kinda like it. 49 15.91%
I don't care either way 39 12.66%
It's a little much... 106 34.42%
That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Kill it out of Mercy. 93 30.19%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #21
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Is it functional?
To me, this is the real question.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #22
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it functional?

Maybe? They call it INTAKE...

The Calty design team set out to create a bold and powerful exterior to embody Tundra's performance capability. The all-new front design integrates the hood and grille for a chiseled and modern industrial image. Designers increased the size of the front fascia and tightened up the surfaces and character lines to punctuate Tundra's pulling power and wide stance. The chrome grille has a taller, bolder look visually connecting the upper intake to the lower bumper. The front lower bumpers are now a three-piece design, allowing for grade differentiation and less expensive replacement parts. In addition, the fenders and wheel wells have been squared-off for a wide and sturdy stance.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/07/2...-chicago-2013/
Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post

The Calty design team set out to create a bold and powerful exterior to embody Tundra's performance capability. The all-new front design integrates the hood and grille for a chiseled and modern industrial image. Designers increased the size of the front fascia and tightened up the surfaces and character lines to punctuate Tundra's pulling power and wide stance. The chrome grille has a taller, bolder look visually connecting the upper intake to the lower bumper. The front lower bumpers are now a three-piece design, allowing for grade differentiation and less expensive replacement parts. In addition, the fenders and wheel wells have been squared-off for a wide and sturdy stance.

Interesting... If it's actually being used to feed air into the beast, I'm OK with it. Just need to see a picture of the engine bay with the hood open to see if it's connected
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to tell, there is just a short view of the engine bay. There is a large diameter hose that could be going to the radiator or air from the scoop area. 5:15 mark, looks more like radiator hose to me.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/02/red...ra-pickup.html
Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Hard to tell, there is just a short view of the engine bay. There is a large diameter hose that could be going to the radiator or air from the scoop area. 5:15 mark, looks more like radiator hose to me.

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/02/red...ra-pickup.html
That link had a picture of the engine bay. Looks like the scoop isn't functional, the intake is off to the side, similar to the Tacoma's.

Another note though, I hate the decals on the new Tundra. They look like an afterthought and something someone just slapped on there from another vehicle.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yah the intake would be on top. *sigh*

Maybe it's meant to cool the engine bay. Or dirty it up LOL. If it's even open.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #27

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yah the intake would be on top. *sigh*

Maybe it's meant to cool the engine bay. Or dirty it up LOL. If it's even open.
Hopefully Volant makes something that will make it useful. That's a pretty large opening, I've got to imagine you could get some pretty good airflow and force some nice, cold air into the engine if properly plumbed.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hopefully Volant makes something that will make it useful. That's a pretty large opening, I've got to imagine you could get some pretty good airflow and force some nice, cold air into the engine if properly plumbed.
Pretty sure that shouldn't be a high-pressure area on the hood... I know aerodynamics aren't a prime concern on trucks, but if that's a good place for a functional scoop on the Tundra, they need to do a little work on the aero at least.

I don't like it, but can't honestly say it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. That front end is probably ugly enough to put me off from buying one, though.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #29

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grueinthebox View Post
Pretty sure that shouldn't be a high-pressure area on the hood... I know aerodynamics aren't a prime concern on trucks, but if that's a good place for a functional scoop on the Tundra, they need to do a little work on the aero at least.

I don't like it, but can't honestly say it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. That front end is probably ugly enough to put me off from buying one, though.
It's a forward facing hole on the leading edge, how can it not be high pressure? The Tacoma scoop isn't high pressure because it's set back on the hood and airflow has already begun to split around the truck at that point. It should act like the Volant ram air kit for the Tacoma.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But its much better than what they did with the Corolla, don't you agree?

The grill/headlights look like they're being stretched. Looks a bit forced.

"Super Skewper" is the funniest thing I've read all day. I'll be chuckling about that for hours.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #31
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's a forward facing hole on the leading edge, how can it not be high pressure? The Tacoma scoop isn't high pressure because it's set back on the hood and airflow has already begun to split around the truck at that point. It should act like the Volant ram air kit for the Tacoma.
You are, of course, correct... My thinking is arse-backwards today (why I'm surfing the internets instead of trying to get much done). Nothing to see here, move along...

Edit: still ugly, though.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #32

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grueinthebox View Post
You are, of course, correct... My thinking is arse-backwards today (why I'm surfing the internets instead of trying to get much done). Nothing to see here, move along...

Edit: still ugly, though.
It happens, at least it's Friday!! It sucks when you have those days on a Monday, then you know it's going to be a long week
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #33
TNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNHarley is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TNHarley's Tacoma Gallery
I think the scoop is ok
Tundras on the other hand.. YUCK
Like the older ones, I just do not like the newer ones..
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #34
Slow lane cruiser
Bandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: USAF Firefighter gone legit
Name: Another Matt
Bandit's Tacoma Gallery
Would be awesome to fill that scoop with a lightbar.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #35
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The chrome grille has a taller, bolder look visually connecting the upper intake to the lower bumper.
It says the intake is connected to the lower bumper, not the upper scoop.

I think the scoop is the perfect size and location for a 40" LED light bar, not a Knight Rider bar. A clean install with good LEDs might actually look pretty bad-ass and actually be in a functional spot.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
Silly thing reminds me of a Dodge...

Not pretty.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post

"Super Skewper" is the funniest thing I've read all day. I'll be chuckling about that for hours.
I lol'd at myself on that too.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #38
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Ehh... It's not terrible, but it looks less... angry. I like it better how it is now.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #39
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
With how forward that scoop is maybe its actually functional? Looks weird though.
Speculation (in 2005) was that it was intended to be functional for the then-planned Diesel/HD version of the truck.

IF it were functional with an oil-burner under the hood, I would hate the appearance of that truck less.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #40
Nielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really niceNielsen23 is just really nice

Name: Nick
Nielsen23's Tacoma Gallery
Throw an led bar in the scoop and it would look way better. It would look like Toyota actually ment for an led bar to be placed there. Until then ....