LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

2006 Tundra spare wheel & tire stolen

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
SABAJA [OP] SABAJA is offline
Senior Member
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
Joined: Jul 2013, #107639
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male
Posts: 112
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
2006 Tundra spare wheel & tire stolen

Hey guys,

I've owned my Tundra now for about 5 years now. It's been a great truck, 70k problem free miles with just oil changes and scheduled maintenance services. I never knew about the "thievery" going on with trucks as far as tailgates and wheels go (or gas caps either for that matter)...but I learned my first lesson about a month ago when my spare was stolen off the Tundra.

Does anyone ever bother to go and buy another full size spare? Or do you just call roadside for a tow? I'm contemplating buying the spare again since I have wheels and tires on it now from discount tire anyway.

For those of you who may have also experienced this misfortune, what did you do?

P.S.

I've already made sure to get locks for everything on the Tacoma after having read about all this post theft.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Junior Member
spyduh is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2013, #107981
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
spyduh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABAJA View Post
Hey guys,

I've owned my Tundra now for about 5 years now. It's been a great truck, 70k problem free miles with just oil changes and scheduled maintenance services. I never knew about the "thievery" going on with trucks as far as tailgates and wheels go (or gas caps either for that matter)...but I learned my first lesson about a month ago when my spare was stolen off the Tundra.

Does anyone ever bother to go and buy another full size spare? Or do you just call roadside for a tow? I'm contemplating buying the spare again since I have wheels and tires on it now from discount tire anyway.

For those of you who may have also experienced this misfortune, what did you do?

P.S.

I've already made sure to get locks for everything on the Tacoma after having read about all this post theft.

buy a used one on craigslist or junk yard. I bought one for the taco and my tundra before for $40-50 bucks. then buy a heavy chain and LOCK on it so it doesnt happen again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
SABAJA [OP] SABAJA is offline
Senior Member
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
Joined: Jul 2013, #107639
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male
Posts: 112
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the key thing for the spare...are those effective? Or can a thief just go and buy the tool?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Hiatt1991's Avatar
Name: Hiatt
Joined: Aug 2010, #41917
Location: Prescott, AZ
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,784
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABAJA View Post
I bought the key thing for the spare...are those effective? Or can a thief just go and buy the tool?
I'd say its definitely a deterrent. Is your spare mounted in the stock location?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
SABAJA [OP] SABAJA is offline
Senior Member
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
Joined: Jul 2013, #107639
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male
Posts: 112
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
On the Tacoma yea. The Tundra was still all factory as well. I just wonder if all these "locks" are unique or if any thief can just pickup the same "keys" and still get our stuff just as easy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Junior Member
spyduh is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jul 2013, #107981
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
spyduh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABAJA View Post
On the Tacoma yea. The Tundra was still all factory as well. I just wonder if all these "locks" are unique or if any thief can just pickup the same "keys" and still get our stuff just as easy.
nothing will stop a thief if they are determined. All the locks and crap you buy will only be a deterrent.

I had a car stolen by a thief that tried 3 times in 8 months. I was able to deter them until they figured out my system and my schedule! They stole it on the 3rd try. Get good insurance. Once they tried once, there's a very high likely hood they'll be coming back for more!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
SABAJA [OP] SABAJA is offline
Senior Member
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
Joined: Jul 2013, #107639
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male
Posts: 112
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
I understand that. But the more levels of deterrent that more likely they'll work. But if I find that someone tried, and if I think they're likely to come back...they'll come back to a 00 slug or a 9mm hollow point. God bless texas.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TruckyTruck's Avatar
Joined: May 2012, #78304
Gender: Male
Posts: 532
TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
i mean damn! how hard up do you have to be to steal a dang spare tire! keep that tailgate locked!!! i think im going to get a lock for my tire after reading this...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
SABAJA [OP] SABAJA is offline
Senior Member
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
Joined: Jul 2013, #107639
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male
Posts: 112
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
Still looking for a spare wheel and tire...keep a look out folks! lol
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare 16inch Wheel and tire off 2006 Taco PRBulldog36 Buy / Sell / Trade 2 02-19-2012 11:40 AM
sport wheel&tire vs. spare tacosrule 2nd Gen. Tacomas 3 05-20-2011 06:58 AM
My spare tire was stolen!! RacerP 1st Gen. Tacomas 4 04-02-2010 10:02 AM
Spare tire stolen NraFan Wheels & Tires 21 09-24-2009 01:28 PM
Spare Tire Stolen... Anyone else? Dan_K 2nd Gen. Tacomas 13 02-28-2009 05:42 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.