Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

2014 tundra vs. ford ecoboost

Old 08-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
toyota4wd is on a distinguished road
toyota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
2014 tundra vs. ford ecoboost

What do you guys think? Personally I think the new 6 cyl. Ecoboost engines are going to have big problems with their turbos and cooling, down the road once they age. I think toyotas are always going to be the way to go.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
if it was between those two choices? i would have to go with the tundra. the only ford truck i would get would be a 08+ superduty (powerstroke).
Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Why not also add to the comparison the new Chevy engine line up? Fuel management, cast aluminum block, and now direct injection.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Over on f150forum.com, enough ecoboost owners have complained of condensation build up in wet/humid areas causing the truck to go into limp mode in passing situations earning the engine the name ecobust. Even with a TSB Ford released, there are still problems. There are several owners that chose to trade in and get the 5.0. Ford still has some issues to work obviously. Me, I'm still not sold on the reliability of turbo on a gas engine over time, I'd take the Tundra. I just wish Toyota had put some improvement in gas mileage on the 5.7.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
toyota4wd is on a distinguished road
toyota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone watched the stress test videos on the Ecoboost? In one part they said along the lines of "the turbos were red hot but never failed us". To me, how long could one survive like that? Yes probably for the duration of the test but for years and years to come? I just don't think so. Here in Iowa every other person has one and every one thinks ford and Chevy are the best but I guess I'm the oddball who thinks foreign things are Better in some cases.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Test drove the ecoboost and felt the turbo lag or misfire on the test drive..Family member bought a new f150 with the 5.0 and has had it in the shop twice for abs and oil lights coming on.A computer reflash seemed to fix the light problems but technician said they come in often for system reboot. They ride awesome and have loads of power but they just are not Toyotas!!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Commercial for the Ecoboost, spokesmodel talks about performance and how her friends with BMWs are jealous.

The 2.0 gets 20mpg.
My 2.7 gets 24.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra would get better mpg, but they have a 4/30 rear end. Nice power but fuel mileage suffers.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota4wd View Post
Has anyone watched the stress test videos on the Ecoboost? In one part they said along the lines of "the turbos were red hot but never failed us". To me, how long could one survive like that? Yes probably for the duration of the test but for years and years to come? I just don't think so. Here in Iowa every other person has one and every one thinks ford and Chevy are the best but I guess I'm the oddball who thinks foreign things are Better in some cases.
Toyota's are as "American" made as a Ford or Chevy
Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
ONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
ONALL4's Tacoma Gallery
Most genuine Toyota parts are more expensive than motorcraft parts and the big 3 cost of labour are way more than Japanese car manufacturer labour they have to support the old union benefit retiree.

I had 99 F150 and 04 F150 below 200K KM or 125K miles already galore of issues from ball joints, front end, misfire, power steering & rear diff leak, tranny rebuilt, brake cable seizing and shit man electronic...fu(k the dash light would go off while you were driving. My 04 Taco not a single issue at 240K KM. No comparison in the quality of the parts. oh this reminds me I need to replace the alternator on my 98 mustang GT shit! I kept buying used fords cause they dirt cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
ONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud of

ONALL4's Tacoma Gallery
At the end of the day Labour expense costing Fords 2-3 times more than Toyota or Honda how can it compete?

http://www.payscale.com/career-news/...aid-73-an-hour
Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
That article has a lot of "slant" to it.
Labor costs PER VEHICLE SOLD by Ford are lower than Toyota.

US-built Toyota vehicles are assembled by employees in the same union as Ford and GM.
The main difference in labor costs is medical and pension for retired employees... but Ford sells more than 2-3 times the number of vehicles.

They can be, and are, plenty competitive with Toyota.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
If not more. I looked at the 2014 Silverado 1500....made in Mexico
Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
...US-built Toyota vehicles are assembled by employees in the same union as Ford and GM...
I don't think there is a single Toyota plant in N. America that is unionized.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
gtmotor has a spectacular aura aboutgtmotor has a spectacular aura about
gtmotor's Tacoma Gallery
I was full size truck shopping before I bought my Tacoma and honestly thought the Ecoboost F150 was better. I would have bought it but it was too much truck for us. They are HUGE with the double cab.

I occasionally tow a 4200 lb boat with my buddies ecoboost truck and you can't even tell it's there. The engine really is amazing.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #17

ONALL4's Tacoma Gallery
Ya that's ok if he believes that and I do have a few relatives working for Honda, Toyota and Chrysler. CAW is still trying to get into Toyota plants. Myself I bought a couple of f150s only because they were cheap to buy used. F150 looks nice drives good but there is no way the quality is comparable. what I had to pay to fix on my 04 F150 should've paid abit more and got a Tacoma in first place and save at the end. Real lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post
I don't think there is a single Toyota plant in N. America that is unionized.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Tough choice but I'd go with the Ford. Most people get on forums and complain or ask questions to problems they are having. Sure they both have some problems but both are great trucks.

At the end of the day it's all up to you man. What you will need the truck for and the useable space/configurations each have to offer.

I've had my 04 f-150 for seven years and have yet to have a problem out of it other than the items I've tampered with.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
Taco turned Burrito
DelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Supervisor
DelRioTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota4wd View Post
What do you guys think? Personally I think the new 6 cyl. Ecoboost engines are going to have big problems with their turbos and cooling, down the road once they age. I think toyotas are always going to be the way to go.
I'm having this exact debate right now. I like the 2014 Tundras a lot better than the 07-13 models (had a 2010 RCSB TRD OR). I wanted another one, but it looks like the RC is only available as a stripped down long bed work truck for 2014. I'm debating whether to have my garage modified to fit a 2014 Tundra DC TRD OR, or go with the 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor, which is a very nicely optioned RCSB sport model with the Ecoboost (remember the SVT Lightning?).

I drove a 2013 F-150 King Ranch with the Ecoboost last week, and I would have one in my driveway right now if they'd been able to find a short bed with the options I wanted. I'm kind of relieved it didn't work out, since I could have got a loaded Tundra for the $46K price tag. Ford has always done a great job of making big trucks that make you feel like you're driving a smaller truck. I'll be the first one in line for a test drive when the new Tundras arrive, and I'll be getting a call from Ford once the 2014 F-150 Tremor is available for order.

I think its going to be a tough decision. Toyota quality vs. a truck with a better configuration for my needs that might not be so reliable. Ford offered me $29K for my Taco, and the salesman at Toyota said he could get me back the $31K I paid for it last year. We shall see...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ort-truck.html
Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelRioTaco View Post
I'm having this exact debate right now. I like the 2014 Tundras a lot better than the 07-13 models (had a 2010 RCSB TRD OR). I wanted another one, but it looks like the RC is only available as a stripped down long bed work truck for 2014. I'm debating whether to have my garage modified to fit a 2014 Tundra DC TRD OR, or go with the 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor, which is a very nicely optioned RCSB sport model with the Ecoboost (remember the SVT Lightning?).

I drove a 2013 F-150 King Ranch with the Ecoboost last week, and I would have one in my driveway right now if they'd been able to find a short bed with the options I wanted. I'm kind of relieved it didn't work out, since I could have got a loaded Tundra for the $46K price tag. Ford has always done a great job of making big trucks that make you feel like you're driving a smaller truck. I'll be the first one in line for a test drive when the new Tundras arrive, and I'll be getting a call from Ford once the 2014 F-150 Tremor is available for order.

I think its going to be a tough decision. Toyota quality vs. a truck with a better configuration for my needs that might not be so reliable. Ford offered me $29K for my Taco, and the salesman at Toyota said he could get me back the $31K I paid for it last year. We shall see...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ort-truck.html
modify your garage for the tundra 1794 edition. problem solved

TOYOTA FOR LIFE!