1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering Tundra, have a few questions

Discussion in 'Tundras' started by drupp, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sep 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    drupp

drupp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    I'm considering getting a leftover 2013 Tundra, Off Road or Rock Warrior. I currently have a 2006 TRD Tacoma and prior to that had a 1997 base Tacoma. Both of the Tacomas are/were great, but they did have some weaknesses, and I'm curious as to whether these also exist with the Tundra.

Both had weak leaf springs that I needed to replace because they wore out and couldn't support much weight. My 2006 has an OME kit with the Dakars, and I love the Dakars. How are the springs in the Tundra - are they prone to weakness like the Tacomas or are they more stout?

Is the sheet metal in the bed of the Tacoma pretty strong or does it dent easily?

Front diff bearing - I put the ECGS bearing/sleeve in my Tacoma. I'm pretty sure they make them for the Tundra too. Is this a common issue with the Tundra?

How is the frame rust with the Tundra - are there any issues similar to the Tacoma where it rusts near the cats on the 2nd gen Tacomas?

The engines and transmissions (both manual) in both my Tacomas are/were bulletproof. Are there any engine or transmission issues I should be aware of with the Tundras?

2. Sep 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    How are the springs in the Tundra - are they prone to weakness like the Tacomas or are they more stout?

I didn't have any problems the stock springs in my 2011 Tundra. It wasn't a TRD or Rock Warrior, just an SR5.

Is the sheet metal in the bed of the Tacoma pretty strong or does it dent easily?

I'm assuming you meant the metal tundra bed. Yes it will dent & scratch.
    I had mine LineX'd as part of my deal. I threw a bed mat in there to boot.
    That was like $50 bucks off ebay shipped to my door.
    No dents & stuff did not slide.
    It is a huge bed compared to the Tacoma & the tailgate has an assist which is sweet so the tailgate doesn't slam down.

Front diff bearing - I put the ECGS bearing/sleeve in my Tacoma. I'm pretty sure they make them for the Tundra too. Is this a common issue with the Tundra?

I don't know what that is but didn't have a problem for 20k (that is when I traded my tundra back in for a Tacoma). Maybe someone else will know.

How is the frame rust with the Tundra - are there any issues similar to the Tacoma where it rusts near the cats on the 2nd gen Tacomas?

Mine in almost 2 winter's use here in Vermont showed rust. Not as bad as 5 yrs winters with my 2006 Tacoma but
    I'd imagine it would be surface rusty+ depending on what it gets exposed to.
    I opted to get my 2013 Tacoma undercoated this time.
    You could always do it yourself with fluid film or pay aftermarket -- the undercoating is so worth it in salt areas. There is no stopping it on Toyota truck frames........:(

The engines and transmissions (both manual) in both my Tacomas are/were bulletproof. Are there any engine or transmission issues I should be aware of with the Tundras?

If you stick with the 5.7L trans it is smooth as silk.
    My 4.6L hunted a bit on steep inclines or stomping it.
    The 4.6L was not horrible & towed my trailers so easily but the mpg gains vs the 5.7 were not a huge difference. If I was going to do it again I would opt for the bigger V8.
    I was kinda disappointed choosing it over the 5.7L.
    No drivetrain vibes whatsoever!!

I think there is some issues with the AIP. If you do some searching over at Tundratalk, that is well documented, not sure again I never had a problem.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    drupp

drupp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for the replies, they're helpful.

Yeah, I learned about treating the frame from not doing it with the current truck. It's mostly surface rust, except near the drivers side cat where it's more than that. My next truck will get the frame treated.

4. Sep 23, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Love my 5.7 '08. No issues so far. One thing to worry about is the AIP valves and pumps. When these go, the vehicle goes into limp mode. Presently these parts are warrenteed to 150k. I chose to delete these parts on my truck. The only purpose they serve is to get your cat.converters up to temp quicker. They only operate on cold startup. The newer trucks, I think have an exercise mode that runs these pumps during random times.

I'm not too worried about my truck exhaust running a bit rich upon cold start up. I am conserned with the truck going into limp mode. This is unexceptable. The modification cost about 15 bucks and is completwely reversable.

KO

To Top