Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

Convert needs help w suspension / wheels

Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Chain is on a distinguished road

Chain's Tacoma Gallery
Convert needs help w suspension / wheels

After looking a Toyotas from the Chevy side of the lot for a few years, I've decided to join your crew.

Plan is to put together a 2014 Tundra 5.7 for DD and back country travel 5-6 trips a year.
Truck will be used for work most days and to get off the beaten path on weekends. Plan on several trips to CO and WY each year to wander.

Currently, I do these trips and trips to Mexico on an XR650r, so adventure travel in a truck is all new to me.

So, that said, and after some research, here's my plan
Before taking delivery, install

Camburg 2.5 performance kit w/o leaf spring kit

18" wheels (procomp??) any other preferences?

Toyo 33" AT II tires

Once I get it home and recover finances
, install expedition one bumpers, warn m series and some sort of skid plate.

Any wisdom from experience would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
chain
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Camburg Girl
KayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kayla
KayStrait's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
After looking a Toyotas from the Chevy side of the lot for a few years, I've decided to join your crew.

Plan is to put together a 2014 Tundra 5.7 for DD and back country travel 5-6 trips a year.
Truck will be used for work most days and to get off the beaten path on weekends. Plan on several trips to CO and WY each year to wander.

Currently, I do these trips and trips to Mexico on an XR650r, so adventure travel in a truck is all new to me.

So, that said, and after some research, here's my plan
Before taking delivery, install

Camburg 2.5 performance kit w/o leaf spring kit

18" wheels (procomp??) any other preferences?

Toyo 33" AT II tires

Once I get it home and recover finances
, install expedition one bumpers, warn m series and some sort of skid plate.

Any wisdom from experience would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!
chain
Welcome! Not sure if you have had a chance to check out our website but I attached a few pictures of a new Tundra with our 2.5 Kit installed and Pro Comp wheels to give you an idea of what your truck could look like. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help you out
Attached Thumbnails
Convert needs help w suspension / wheels-img_0586.jpg   Convert needs help w suspension / wheels-img_0587.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
TAP Auto Parts
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like an awesome setup! I am a big fan of Camburg and often recommend it to my customers.

Check out this 2014 with full Camburg kit I saw at SEMA.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
TAP Auto Parts
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Here is another, a bit tamer.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #5

Chain's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the photos Kay. That's even the same color.
Nice shots from SEMA! The second truck looks real similar to the build I have in mind

The dealer may have a set of of TRD Rock Warriors to throw in the deal.

Any thoughts on those wheels. I personally like the looks of them, and they appear to be pretty robust.

Also, I haven't done anything to the rear leafs yet. Is that necessary? Whatever I do back there, it's important that the truck still be able to haul a decent payload, and pull a tractor, or trailer full of motorcycles or a spaceship...

Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Camburg Girl
KayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shedKayStrait is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kayla
KayStrait's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas of MRT View Post
That sounds like an awesome setup! I am a big fan of Camburg and often recommend it to my customers.

Check out this 2014 with full Camburg kit I saw at SEMA.

This one has our long travel kit on it. As far as deavers.... they are not intended to be used when you tow often unfortunately. What you can do is a 1.50 rear shackle.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
TAP Auto Parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Thanks for the photos Kay. That's even the same color.
Nice shots from SEMA! The second truck looks real similar to the build I have in mind

The dealer may have a set of of TRD Rock Warriors to throw in the deal.

Any thoughts on those wheels. I personally like the looks of them, and they appear to be pretty robust.

Also, I haven't done anything to the rear leafs yet. Is that necessary? Whatever I do back there, it's important that the truck still be able to haul a decent payload, and pull a tractor, or trailer full of motorcycles or a spaceship...

Thanks again for the help!
There are a few full length Toyota Tundra leaf spring expansion packs that will replace the factory secondary leafs while retaining the factory main and overload springs. This will allow you to increase ride comfort, obtain lift height, maintain load and towing capacities, and increase wheel travel slightly. Pair that with a set of 2.5" reservoir or bypass shocks and that should me more than good offroad, while keeping your payload carrying capability intact.

As for the rock warrior wheels, they are pretty good size at 17x8 and are stout. If you like that look and the dealer is going to toss them in, go for it!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #8

Chain's Tacoma Gallery
Good info on the rear suspension. Dealer sold the TRD rims to another customer, so for now going to use the stock rims w/ 33" Toyo AT II and then adding Budbuilt

Spending way to much time researching / shopping for parts, kind of addictive...
Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
TAP Auto Parts
Haha this is where the fun starts. Please let me know if I can be of any help - have built several Tundras so have a good idea of what works.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
gb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Geoff
gb42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas of MRT View Post
Here is another, a bit tamer.

How much for the pair? I want to make them hang like sleeve of wizard.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
TAP Auto Parts
Normally priced at MAP, we are having a killer black Friday special. I will give you a hookup price
Old 11-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
Bought Tacoma & signed up here as fast as I could!
BRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: El Conquistador
BRYLONATOR's Tacoma Gallery
You should definitely consider replacing those shackles with a set from this guy called coachbuilder. Not only is he an amazing guy to work with but his products are awesome. And I am not a nut swinger....just a very satisfied customer!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #13

Chain's Tacoma Gallery
Good call on the Shackles, called Kayla at Camburg today. Dealer should be adding them to the order.

Now waiting on EX One to to get 2014 bumpers figured out.

Next on the agenda is to figure out some sort of expedition rack/ sleeping accommodation that will work as a DD...

May have to break out the pipe bender...