Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

Tacoma for a Tundra???

View Poll Results: Trade Tacoma For Tundra???
Keep my 2006 Tacoma 6 24.00%
Trade for 2007-2013 Tundra 19 76.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
"Layed Back" Member
Troyton is on a distinguished road

Name: Troy
Troyton's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma for a Tundra???

Was wondering if I should trade my 06 Tacoma for a newer tundra (07-13) with some cash on top. reason of this is because the Tacoma doesn't have the power to pull my 23ft Intrepid and I just simply love the way the tundra looks with a mild lift, wheel spacers, and a badass set of tires. although the gas mileage would decrease, what do you guys suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma for a Tundra???-img_0514.jpg   Tacoma for a Tundra???-1236441_696951663667358_664706010_n.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
If you need to tow, it's a no-brainer.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
If you need more power for towing, then do it. Tundra would be my choice. I have looked at them many times, but can't justify it, since I don't tow anything.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma or Tundra

Being on a Tacoma site; you have seen Tacoma owners, use their trucks for all sorts of uses. Even occasional towing, of something that maybe a bigger truck would work better.

The Tacoma does well; for it's intended purposes. Resale value and low maintenance costs, are an added benefit. Styling and comfort are at the top of the list also.

But heavy towing is not it's strength. I have a couple of trailers that I use sparingly, an open and 2 enclosed. With the one enclosed trailer, and loaded, I could use a bigger truck.

But I don't tow that everyday; only a few times a year. So the Tacoma, is always within it's its listed GVW; and I am good with that.

The Tundra, has caught my eye from time to time also; which would safely increase my towing capacity. But do I want the bigger truck for only a few days a year? I am still debating this also.

oldracer
Old 12-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
If you need to tow, and the Tacoma just isn't quite doing it, go for the Tundra. Good looking Tacoma, though!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Miley loves you
302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

302's Tacoma Gallery
How about trading the boat in and getting the tundra? In 10 years you will have dropped enough money in that boat to own 2 tundras. Just sayin. It's nice to have friends with boats, and a lot less expensive.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. This way your fuel economy stays reasonable when you are not towing.

Now that the engine has been out a few years, most of the serious bugs have been worked out (like the intercooler cooling too much and developing condensation).
Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 View Post
How about trading the boat in and getting the tundra? In 10 years you will have dropped enough money in that boat to own 2 tundras. Just sayin. It's nice to have friends with boats, and a lot less expensive.
L
O
fucking
L

B - reak
O - ut
A - nother
T - housand

The two happiest days in every boat owner's life:
The day he buys it.
The day he watches the new owner trailer it away.

My buddy hasn't learned... he's on his 4th boat, and at the point where "trailering" involves a semi.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Westhemess is on a distinguished road
Name: Wes
Westhemess's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
L
O
fucking
L

B - reak
O - ut
A - nother
T - housand

The two happiest days in every boat owner's life:
The day he buys it.
The day he watches the new owner trailer it away.

My buddy hasn't learned... he's on his 4th boat, and at the point where "trailering" involves a semi.
lol, sounds like your buddy owns a Bayliner
Old 12-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem. Solved it by just having both. The tundra is great for towing and hauling 4 adults, but the tacoma is my day to day driver.

You are going to hate parking a tundra after driving a tacoma. Make sure you get a back up cam. The '14s have them standard. The tundra is a towing dream. Even tho its advertised as a 1/2 ton, it is really closer to a 3/4 ton truck, just doesn't have the bed capacity of a 3/4 ton. Easy fix with air bags.

As for the power of the Tundra, its is stupid fast. this is the first vehicle that I have owned that could break the tires free while rolling at 30mph. Just don't for get to turn off the trac control. The 'puter cuts out the engine and applies the brakes. You will bite the steering wheel when that happens. I don't have the super charger and see no reason for having it. I don't miss the exta 100hp. You should have seen the look on my wifes face when I told her to check out the acceleration.Huge grin she had.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
jaeforceone is on a distinguished road

Name: Jae
jaeforceone's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with Ford F150 with the ecoboost engine. get the same fuel economy of tacoma and only about 2-3K more than brand new tacoma.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
The ecoboost is nice, but think about resale in 6 years. Used Tundra's do not sit around. The ecoboost is still in its prooving stages.

Several years runnig the Tundra retains a larger % of its original price than any of the other 3. Its all about $, Im gonna get as much as I can.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #15
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
The ecoboost is nice, but think about resale in 6 years. Used Tundra's do not sit around. The ecoboost is still in its prooving stages.

Several years runnig the Tundra retains a larger % of its original price than any of the other 3. Its all about $, Im gonna get as much as I can.
Yeah, but you can get an F-150 for $10k or more below MSRP. Probably lucky to get $5k off of MSRP on a Tundra. So, if you look at resale vs what you actually paid rather than MSRP, I would bet it's really not that different.

I voted trade, but I would go for an ecoboost.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If I needed a full size for towing I'd get a Silverado or F-150 (and NOT the Eco-boost). The Ford and Chevy V8's are within 1 or 2 MPG of the Ecoboost and you don't have to mess with the twin turbo system. The Tundra is nice but it is a gas-hog compared to other half ton trucks.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If I needed a full size for towing I'd get a Silverado or F-150 (and NOT the Eco-boost). The Ford and Chevy V8's are within 1 or 2 MPG of the Ecoboost and you don't have to mess with the twin turbo system. The Tundra is nice but it is a gas-hog compared to other half ton trucks.
I wouldn't want the ecoboost for the gas mileage, it's about the torque. Full torque throughout the whole rpm range.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
I wouldn't want the ecoboost for the gas mileage, it's about the torque. Full torque throughout the whole rpm range.
I agree with you there. If I were to trade in the vehicles every couple years, I'd consider the Ecoboost but I don't trust it yet in the long term. If I were to buy one to keep for years and years, I'd rather have a naturally aspirated V8 than a high output twin turbo V6.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Taco turned Burrito
DelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelRioTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Supervisor
DelRioTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd definitely trade up to a full size in your situation. Since you are looking at buying used, I would get the Tundra over any of the big three, especially if you plan on buying one out of warranty. My 5.7l Tundra gets 18.5 MPG highway, which is the same as my Tacoma got.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
TacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJay09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacomaJay09's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel economy on the ecoboost, although decent, is more marketing than anything. The 2014 GM's already have it beat. M/T just finished a long-term test on an F-150 EB and real world MPG was ~15mpg. Don't believe the hype, or like others said, but it for other reasons.