Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tundras

Notices

Looking at a 4.6...

Old 02-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
NorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the roughNorthWoods is a jewel in the rough
NorthWoods's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at a 4.6...

So, last year I bought a 2011 tacoma, but I got 4cyl auto. There are quite a few hills around where I live and the 4cyl just doesn't cut it, shes a dog. I have been looking for a 6cyl Tacoma for about 4 months now, but nothing to my liking has come around that I had time to look at before it was gone.

I was browsing the other day and came across a black XC 2012 Tundra with a 4.6L in it. It would definitely be enough for what i would use it for. It looks like a base model, no sr5 or trd badges/stickers that I can see but it is a 4x4. It has 50,000 and they are asking 24500, so probably 23000-23500.

Is the 4.6 a good engine? Would it be worth it upgrade?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
The 4.6 is going to be a lot more torquey than the 4.0, but it is a bigger truck. Its improved even over the 4.7 in the first gens though, which is a motor I think is great.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #3
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2012 Tundra with 4.6L. I think the 4.6L with the 4.10 gears isn't a good combination since the transmission was constantly searching for a gear while driving on rolling hills. The 2012 searched for gears a lot more than my 2009 Tacoma with 4.0L or my current Tundra with 5.7L.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Should have got a manual transmission. 4 bangers are no fun with automatics. I miss my 5 speed