Notices

US vs Canadian made Tundra!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
AMOCAT911 is on a distinguished road
Name: Blair
AMOCAT911's Tacoma Gallery

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some information regarding the difference between US and Canadian made Toyota Tundra? I live in northern Canada and was considering to purchase a Tundra from the US. Local dealer informed me that Canadian made Tundra has a "Cold Weather Package" that would be necessary in Canada but US Tundra don't have. Can anyone set me stright on this and recommond if I should buy a truck from the US or not given my location.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
TacoRob08 is a jewel in the roughTacoRob08 is a jewel in the roughTacoRob08 is a jewel in the roughTacoRob08 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Rob
TacoRob08's Tacoma Gallery
Cold weather package is probably just a block heater.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I believe I've read TMMTX, Toyota Manufacturing of San Antonio, Texas, is the only place the current Tundra is manufactured.

A cold weather package is available in the US. Not sure if it's the same as the cold weather package in Canada.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
MikeluvstheTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
MikeluvstheTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoRob08 View Post
Cold weather package is probably just a block heater.
^^This^^

Other things to note, Canada requires a third brake like (usually over the back window) and Day time running lights.

Both can be added later but will be required upon safety
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
from my experience buying a us model tacoma here in canada i would not do it again. anytime something wasn't right the dealers just said well it's american, it's not the same as a canadian tacoma, they always used the american statement when it came to warranty work as a way to try getting out of things, that's my experience... also i was not able to purchase the toyota extended warranty, even though i bought my american model tacoma from a toyota dealer that imported it from another toyota dealer south of the border as toyota certified used. i should have known right at that point i was in for headaches. also if you ever want to trade that thing in or sell it later the trade in value will be less, myself and two friends with american tacos looked into trading and were all told, even by the toyota dealer i bought from that the fact the truck is american reduces its trade value.. so all in all not many good points, but i had to have the reg cab tacoma... just had to!

lastly the cold package your dealer is talking about is bullshat, ask him to provide specific details as to why his truck is better and watch him fumble words.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
More than likely the " cold weather package " comes standard on the Canadian trucks while it is an option on the US trucks
Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

and that took 5 seconds on Google

Cold Weather Package - $160
Heavy duty starter; Heavy duty battery; Heavy duty anti-corrosion protection; Front and rear mud flaps; Windshield wiper de-icer w/timer; Requires: [HM] Power Heated Outside Mirrors; Or [SM] Color-Keyed Bumper Package; Or [HM] Power Heated Outside Mirrors; Excludes: [MG] Mud Guards

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/...kages_options/
Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
They make Tundras in Canada ?
The inside of my sport rims say made in Canada.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
The inside of my sport rims say made in Canada.

So they make the wheels here I guess , pretty certain the trucks are assembled in Texas
Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
how about it really doesn't matter where the truck is actually made but it matters which version somebody purchases; canadian vs american..?!? my american truck came with a block heater and started everyday in this cold as fawk winter we've had, never actually use the block heater..
Old 03-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I posted what is included in the cold weather package from the info I found , the OP can now decide if he is comparing apples to apples
Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
and that took 5 seconds on Google

Cold Weather Package - $160
Heavy duty starter; Heavy duty battery; Heavy duty anti-corrosion protection; Front and rear mud flaps; Windshield wiper de-icer w/timer; Requires: [HM] Power Heated Outside Mirrors; Or [SM] Color-Keyed Bumper Package; Or [HM] Power Heated Outside Mirrors; Excludes: [MG] Mud Guards

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2010/...kages_options/
5 seconds to you is 5 hours with my connection speed.

That said, $160 for all that had to be the deal of the decade.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 AM   #14
pabl0 is on a distinguished road
pabl0's Tacoma Gallery
Well I have a "Canadian bought" Tundra and it was made in San Antonio, Texas. It does not have a block heater or Wiper De-Icer or Colored keyed bumpers or Heated Seats. Not sure if the starter is or battery is HD. I assume it has HD Anti Corrosion package and I have mud flaps and Heated Mirrors.